Forums > Kitesurfing Foiling

Have Moses 633 on 91cm mast - is it worth to get 590 wing set up?

Created by Swavek > 9 months ago, 9 Oct 2019
Rattlehead
QLD, 555 posts
25 Oct 2019 5:33PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
KBGhost said..
Time looks sus in that graph to me. The whole session is 1hr 24m yet the peak speed period spanning 1/10th of the graph (dot to dot) reports as under a minute. How does that work?

For what it's worth I have hit 130kmh on my axis foil... According to my garmin

What do you mean suss , I sent it hard for less than 30-40 seconds?thats the spike , scared the crap out of me and it was a borrowed foil so I took it easy after that.

comparing the speeds the race guys get up to on the coarse and what they get up to when they send it is 2 different things.
when racing around the coarse they are not hitting angles were they hit maximum speeds. Remember they are sailing a windward / leeward course , tacking straight upwind to a mark , rounding that mark and heading directly downwind thru a gate then back up to the top again , the quickest leg is from the bottom gate on the last lap to the finish line which is set across wind, and this is not the fastest angle of sailing.
these guys are sailing for vmg speed ,not speed over ground.
i read somewhere where Johnny Heineken averaged mid 40 kts in the Bridge to Bridge race in SAN Fran , this race is down wind on a broad reach which is the fastest angle of sailing.

KBGhost
QLD, 260 posts
25 Oct 2019 11:03PM
Thumbs Up

I'm not doubting your word I just find it weird that your Garmin connect app chooses to distort the time/X axis so much. The dots on mine are more or less evenly spaced like one each 5 minutes. Look at the times on your graph under each dot they are all over the show. your fast 1 minute out of 84 minutes total should be 1/84th of the graph not 1/10th as displayed.

Rattlehead
QLD, 555 posts
26 Oct 2019 6:16AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
KBGhost said..
I'm not doubting your word I just find it weird that your Garmin connect app chooses to distort the time/X axis so much. The dots on mine are more or less evenly spaced like one each 5 minutes. Look at the times on your graph under each dot they are all over the show. your fast 1 minute out of 84 minutes total should be 1/84th of the graph not 1/10th as displayed.

Check out the time signature scale at the bottom .1.12.40 to 1.13.54 is just over 1 min for that run , top speed spike was just a portion of that 20-30 seconds max.

as I said I really lent on it and wasn't expecting the foil to take off so quick so I was a bit surprised . After that run I thought " that's probably a bit sketchy " as I did not have a helmet or impact vest on ,also I was on a borrowed set up so I took it easier after that.

As I said , while changing down kite size a mate jumped on it and did 63 km /hr and was not even trying.

Fact of the matter is this is an extremely smooth and quick foil for heavy guys . I'm 125 kg dry so this is a small speed wing for me.Lighter guys will not get the leverage to press this foil to warp speeds.

TomW059
183 posts
26 Oct 2019 5:32AM
Thumbs Up

I'm way up and over here in Sweden. Learned on the 550 3 years ago ( it was tough) went to 548, then 590 and finally 633 about 2 years ago. All on 2016 93cm mast.
If you want speed you should be looking at the free race or race wings from moses. I didn't find top speed that much different between 590 and 633. And difficultly with 550 won't be more difficult than race wings I have read, but you'll get more speed.
You'll need new fuselage and rear wing too. So just get the race wing. And I'd consider getting the 101 mast.
You'll need more kite power and a board that is 140cm at least to allow you to get up speed before lifting off.
I'm 76kg dry.

derek72
WA, 49 posts
26 Oct 2019 7:17PM
Thumbs Up

The moses comet which is the fastest foil they make has a top speed of 37 knots and its way faster than a 590 which does about 25 knots. The SF bridge to bridge did see a momentary top speed spike of 44knots (on the world's fastest race foil) which is one of the fastest speeds ever recorded on a kite foil. The average speed of the winner is in the 30s. I also have a Garmin GPS and I have seen quite a few errors like this, its common. If the top speed is a short spike like that its almost always an error. You can usually see on a PC by moving the mouse over your path and watching the speed change. A real top speed usually coincides with bearing away and cranking it and you can see the speed stepping up. Often top speed spikes/errors are seen when you crash or change direction and a mistake is made with a reading.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Foiling

"Have Moses 633 on 91cm mast - is it worth to get 590 wing set up?" started by Swavek