Forums > Kitesurfing Foiling

Moses 790 or 873 wings

Created by Southcoastfoiler > 9 months ago, 2 May 2019
2 May 2019 12:45AM
Thumbs Up

I'm looking for something to try out for slower surfing and pumping. Have 590 and 550 wings on 91 mast. Which of the surf wings do people recommend? I know I need the surf fuselage aswell but was hoping to use the 325 or 330 stabiliser I already have.. what are people's thoughts on/experience with the 2 larger surf wings? Dan

benmj
VIC, 71 posts
2 May 2019 8:19AM
Thumbs Up

HI mate are you thinking prone or using a kite. What board do you have and how much do you weigh

drsurf
NSW, 177 posts
2 May 2019 9:52PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Southcoastfoiler. Are you on the NSW South Coast? If so I can give you a demo on a Moses 633. Such a sweet wing, my customers rave about this surf wing for good reason. Can give you a tow behind a boat so conditions for a demo are very flexible.

Regards Dave

2 May 2019 8:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
benmj said..
HI mate are you thinking prone or using a kite. What board do you have and how much do you weigh

Thanks for your response.

I'm 90kg and have a dwarf craft board.

Ideally looking for something that'll do both which is why I was looking at the bigger than 633 wings like the 790 & 873.. doesn't look like anyone's had much experience with them yet so will probably wait for some reviews and then go from there.

Cheers, Dan

3 May 2019 2:10AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
drsurf said..
Hi Southcoastfoiler. Are you on the NSW South Coast? If so I can give you a demo on a Moses 633. Such a sweet wing, my customers rave about this surf wing for good reason. Can give you a tow behind a boat so conditions for a demo are very flexible.

Regards Dave

Cheers Dave.

Unfortunately I'm on the UK south coast so no chance of getting to you for a demo ??

I'm pretty close to ordering the 790 with the new 710 fuselage so will give some feedback on that once tested out. Hoping it'll ride well with the 325 or 330 stabiliser due to not really wanting to buy another stabiliser aswell!

benmj
VIC, 71 posts
3 May 2019 10:32AM
Thumbs Up

HI mate I have used all of them
I think you have to make the call on a few things.
For prone surf foil at 90 kg the 790 and 873 are great but they are prob too big to be much fun with a kite.
At 90 cm the mast is ideally a bit long for prone. especially at the start and the size of waves you catch learning you hit the bottom at times even with the 70.
The dwarf craft is also potentially on the small size for the initial stages of paddle in.
The small stabilizer is not ideal, of course you could do it but its a massive compromise given the increase in front wing size. A shim would help make it more effective but not ideal.
The 633 and 683 with 90 mast is a perfect combo for light wind and slow foiling carving on waves
I have prone surfed those wings but you need bigger waves and the pump aspect does not really exist.
For example I gave one to John John florence . 683 and 90 mast . he was able to link close swells if he kept going really really fast but its not a real world or person reality.
Sorry there is no solution here just some notes from my experience.

Duff15
VIC, 249 posts
3 May 2019 12:33PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
benmj said..
For prone surf foil at 90 kg the 790 and 873 are great but they are prob too big to be much fun with a kite.
At 90 cm the mast is ideally a bit long for prone. especially at the start and the size of waves you catch learning you hit the bottom at times even with the 70.
The dwarf craft is also potentially on the small size for the initial stages of paddle in.
The small stabilizer is not ideal, of course you could do it but its a massive compromise given the increase in front wing size. A shim would help make it more effective but not ideal.
The 633 and 683 with 90 mast is a perfect combo for light wind and slow foiling carving on waves
I have prone surfed those wings but you need bigger waves and the pump aspect does not really exist.
For example I gave one to John John florence . 683 and 90 mast . he was able to link close swells if he kept going really really fast but its not a real world or person reality.

On what Ben said, I would opt for the 683 with 2 size masts and will need a prone foil board.

4 May 2019 11:58PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
benmj said..

Thanks benmj, lots of good advise to take on from that. :)

I ended up ordering the 790 and the 483 stabiliser as primarily looking for something for Prone that I can then use a for those light wind days.. will give you some feed back once tried out.

Didn't think about the mast length being an issue so might end up needing a shorter mast aswell.

Thanks for all your advice.

Dan

drsurf
NSW, 177 posts
5 May 2019 2:22AM
Thumbs Up

Mmm yes, wrong South Coast
Look forward to a review on the 790 wing set.

Have fun, Dave

warwickl
NSW, 2173 posts
4 Aug 2019 7:33PM
Thumbs Up

First short session on the 790 wing.
Situation :
10m strutless Cloud kite on 32m race lines, in 5 to 6 kn steady breeze. At ground level hardly any feel of breeze on my face.
790 was smooth up onto the foil and silky smooth in flight.
I now have my perfect light wind combination .
My kit is now the 683 and 790 which covers light wind kiting to SUP foiling .

Duff15
VIC, 249 posts
6 Aug 2019 12:49PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
warwickl said..
Situation :
10m strutless Cloud kite on 32m race lines, in 5 to 6 kn steady breeze. At ground level hardly any feel of breeze on my face.

How does the 683 and 790 compare on wind range?

warwickl
NSW, 2173 posts
7 Aug 2019 7:46AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Duff15 said..

warwickl said..
Situation :

How does the 683 and 790 compare on wind range?

Only my first session so comments are only for super light wind.
790 is much easier to get up on the foil in these conditions ie onshore and even lighter near the shore. The 790 floats my board on its side so this also made starting easier in shallow water .
Once out in about 6kn knots of wind both work but 683 needs to work kite.

warwickl
NSW, 2173 posts
18 Aug 2019 1:54PM
Thumbs Up

Update
Yesterday on 790 in wind starting at 8kn and went to 15kn 8m kite.
Easy up on foil stable and when trying to touch down to switch feet on my bad side I had to almost stop. Maximum speed 24kph but I really did not push for speed. No control issues or drag feeling when 15kn wind.
Today on 683 in 10 to almost 15kn and 8m kite it was a little slower up on foil similar stability max speed 28.5kph but again did not try for speed just went with the little swell that was on offer.
To start today I SUP foiled on the 790 and it is perfect for me as a beginner and managed one memorable nice longish ride and easy to control.

emmafoils
307 posts
18 Aug 2019 5:24PM
Thumbs Up

Not that long ago, 1200 cm2 wings where considered huge and maybe too big for kiting and now they are pretty average. The trends seems to be towards even bigger wings now. I see more people liking wings in the 1500 cm2 range for kiting though others are still skeptical. People who tend to like riding smaller kites (for a given wind speed) will do better with the bigger wings. The 790 has a slightly higher aspect ratio which helps minimize some increased drag with invariably comes when wings get bigger.

paperfolder
QLD, 12 posts
21 Aug 2019 8:48PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
warwickl said..
Update
Easy up on foil stable and when trying to touch down to switch feet on my bad side I had to almost stop. Maximum speed 24kph but I really did not push for speed. No control issues or drag feeling when 15kn wind.
Today on 683 in 10 to almost 15kn and 8m kite it was a little slower up on foil similar stability max speed 28.5kph but again did not try for speed just went with the little swell that was on offer.
To start today I SUP foiled on the 790 and it is perfect for me as a beginner and managed one memorable nice longish ride and easy to control.

Out of curiosity mate, what's your weight?

warwickl
NSW, 2173 posts
22 Aug 2019 7:17AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
paperfolder said..

warwickl said..
Update

Out of curiosity mate, what's your weight?

76kg

kyrojoe
WA, 33 posts
14 Aug 2020 5:37AM
Thumbs Up

Just to revive this thread a bit.. I recently purchased a w1100 and 790 combo for WING FOILING with the hope i could kitefoil with the 790.

Since I've been riding the sshot 76 for the past 15 months i figured since it was the same area 1500 cm2 it would work perfect.

Wiell now I've truly experienced four the first time this problrm with excessive front for pressure. I actually OWN the famous stringfellow super fuse for the Moses surf wings.. And if course attached the mast in the position to get the front wing far back as possible.. And have the mast mounted all the way back on my liquid force galaxy board.

I have shimmed the rear bolt on the stab 2 mm and don't feel even that it's helping very much. I can RIDE it but my toes are hanging off the front of the board and my rear foot in the exact MIDDLE of the board to keep it from breaching.

Is hard to believe the difference in lift between the Moses and the infinity 76.

Think the only option i have left is to drill 2 more holes in the carbon mast plate so i can move the mast 1 inch farther back... Anyone else have this issue when kiting the 790?

(ps i was not overpoweref at all when doing my testing.

Thanx to all and his winds!

warwickl
NSW, 2173 posts
14 Aug 2020 2:14PM
Thumbs Up

I have the 1100, 873, 790 and 683 Moses foil wings.
90% of the time I use the 683 for kiting and 10% 790 for super light wind. No shims required.
I have the Moses fuselage and 71cm carbon mast and now use a 1.1m kite foil board.
The 790 and 683 mast position on my board is the same for both wings and no issues, foot pressure is equal.
For Windwing I use the 1100, 873 and 790 on Naish S25 110 and 125 Ultra carbon boards.
The mast is midway in the tracks for the 790, almost 75% back for the 1100 and a bit over 75% for the 873.

This has been with both the 483 and 420 stabilisers. The 420 is now my choice.
I weigh about 76kg

DukeSilver
WA, 380 posts
16 Aug 2020 9:27PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kyrojoe said..
Just to revive this thread a bit.. I recently purchased a w1100 and 790 combo for WING FOILING with the hope i could kitefoil with the 790.

Since I've been riding the sshot 76 for the past 15 months i figured since it was the same area 1500 cm2 it would work perfect.

Wiell now I've truly experienced four the first time this problrm with excessive front for pressure. I actually OWN the famous stringfellow super fuse for the Moses surf wings.. And if course attached the mast in the position to get the front wing far back as possible.. And have the mast mounted all the way back on my liquid force galaxy board.

I have shimmed the rear bolt on the stab 2 mm and don't feel even that it's helping very much. I can RIDE it but my toes are hanging off the front of the board and my rear foot in the exact MIDDLE of the board to keep it from breaching.

Is hard to believe the difference in lift between the Moses and the infinity 76.

Think the only option i have left is to drill 2 more holes in the carbon mast plate so i can move the mast 1 inch farther back... Anyone else have this issue when kiting the 790?

What stab are you using? A friend uses the 790 on the 710 fuse and loves it. Seems odd that you are experiencing this problem. Could it be the 743 fuse you're using?

Livit
WA, 542 posts
16 Aug 2020 11:18PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kyrojoe said..

Hey mate, not sure what the "famous stringfellow super fuse" is but I can guarantee you that there is no issue with 790 on the Moses 710 fuselage with either 483 and 450 stabs on a 116cm board.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Foiling

"Moses 790 or 873 wings" started by Southcoastfoiler