Forums > Kitesurfing Foiling

ducktack to toeside 360

Created by dafish > 9 months ago, 8 Feb 2019
dafish
NSW, 1631 posts
8 Feb 2019 8:05AM
Thumbs Up

I don't know why this is just so, but this move is so satisfying. It has taken a ton of crashes, sore shoulders from being yanked by poor timing etc, but after 500 or so they are happening quite regularly. I did 10 in a row the other day and though I still don't consider it mastered because I am still thinking about the move every time instead of just "doing". This was the other day, 12 knots, 8 meter Reo.

dafish
NSW, 1631 posts
8 Feb 2019 1:32PM
Thumbs Up

Hmmm. Vid did not post????

Livit
WA, 542 posts
8 Feb 2019 11:32AM
Thumbs Up

I was wondering what the trick was when you said "Ducktack to toeside 360". I thought ducktack involved a footswap?

Have you tried it with a classic foil? I find it much easier with a classic medium aspect than with the spitfire.

Spitfire is great but I find for this 360 and ducktack with footswap, when you get to the exit of your turn, the spitfire tends to sink back down and do a sharp pivoting around the mast (if that makes sense) whereas a classic foil tracks on a nice and steady curve and therefore allows for a smoother turn without getting yanked as you are exiting your turn.

dafish
NSW, 1631 posts
8 Feb 2019 5:51PM
Thumbs Up

No, I haven't tried it yet with my Stringfellow foil, but I think I will revisit it. I have ridden other peoples foils, Axis, Naish, Moses Carver etc but I have only recently been able to learn this move well enough to give it a crack on other foils. It's still a ducktack as you are moving into the wind, but there is no foot change. I also kite loop it for a nice smooth pull into the arc. You are right, I have been yanked off and my right shoulder is still sore from all the attempt. I think I am going to practice a proper duck tack going from my goofy side to my natural until it feels better.

DukeSilver
WA, 380 posts
9 Feb 2019 4:42AM
Thumbs Up

Nice work. I would call this a 360. A duck tack to toe side is a 180 turn (360 aborted halfway). I've also started doing these (and tacks to toe side) for the past 4 or 5 weeks and it's a great feeling when it all comes together. Getting about 60% - 70% success now. I find doing them with just the back hand on the bar easier for some reason. Next up is doing tacks from toe side to heel side.

dafish
NSW, 1631 posts
9 Feb 2019 9:33AM
Thumbs Up

I first learned the 180 without a kite loop, and then moved to a full 360 with a loop that feels so much smoother. Ah, so much to learn...

kemp90
QLD, 1692 posts
10 Feb 2019 10:10PM
Thumbs Up

I love doing these on the swell face, then you fall off the back of the swell then the kite loops and pulls you back down the face. So fun

dafish
NSW, 1631 posts
11 Feb 2019 7:33AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kemp90 said..
I love doing these on the swell face, then you fall off the back of the swell then the kite loops and pulls you back down the face. So fun

would love to see a clip of that!

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Foiling

"ducktack to toeside 360" started by dafish