Forums > Kitesurfing General

Duotone WAM - 2019 vs 2020 Pro vs Regular Construction

Created by adamj2281 > 9 months ago, 1 Jul 2021
adamj2281
81 posts
1 Jul 2021 6:31PM
Thumbs Up

Debating grabbing this board, getting a bit of a deal on a 2019 in regular construction in the US. I'm 6', 78 kg and I've gone through quite a few surfboards, but mostly all in the lower volume range - started on a OR Jester moved to a 5'3" Cab Spade, then a larger but old (2013) North Whip 5'7", and now I'm on a 5'4 Tomo Hydroshort. The Hydroshort is the only one I have left and while I like it, I feel like I could use a bit more volume in certain conditions (chest to head, etc.).

So......I'm looking at the 2019 WAM 5'8" in the bamboo construction, I don't really do freestyle and if I do I still have the Hydroshort for little airs and such, and I'm purely strapless. Although, occasionally the desire to throw some straps and boost/roll doesn't enter my mind. So, if anyone has ridden both looking for the following:

-Major difference between 2019 and 2020, I know they changed the outline and brought mid point forward, is this a drastic improvement?
-Pro vs standard construction - mainly focused on the performance, not so much weight, although I know those play into one another.
-Any other thoughts? I'd do wax only but it melts so quick underfoot here in the summer.

windrider323
VIC, 48 posts
2 Jul 2021 1:11PM
Thumbs Up

Hey
I rode the 2018? wam 5'8 (blue one) until I broke it - 2 seasons - but I worked it pretty hard and i'm 100kg so lots of impacts.
I like to ride powered and power top turns with my kites so I hit stuff pretty hard.
It was a fantastic shape IMO

The 2020 wam (red/orange bottom) I have now feels stiffer but planes earlier and is better through chop
Its not as good recovering from radical lip smacks and doesn't seem to hold as well in overpowered bottom turns.
I haven't changed stock fins which may help.

I must say I preferred the older shape which would seem to be underfoot no matter what happened.
You could go upside down under a lip and it would just seem to be there under you after
- it rarely caught an edge and was super easy to ride.

If I bought again I would downsize the current model to try to regain the snap/agility of the older shape
- I think the widepoint moved forward allows for less board and stiffens the ride

I like the older model better.
All just my opinion though....

davinchi
WA, 31 posts
2 Jul 2021 1:42PM
Thumbs Up

I was very happy with my 5'8'' 2019 Wam in standard construction... until after 11 months i put my foot through it (im ~80kg and 5'9'').
- I'd sum it by saying it is a good shape wrapped in a $hite construction.
- If you go hard and want to fly over waves as well as surf them... then there are better/stronger boards to get.

adamj2281
81 posts
2 Jul 2021 7:32PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
davinchi said..
I was very happy with my 5'8'' 2019 Wam in standard construction... until after 11 months i put my foot through it (im ~80kg and 5'9'').
- I'd sum it by saying it is a good shape wrapped in a $hite construction.
- If you go hard and want to fly over waves as well as surf them... then there are better/stronger boards to get.

Davinci/windrider - thanks for the replies, that's exactly what I was looking for. I'm mostly a strapless rider, but I am notoriously hard on gear and I occasionally like the option to throw straps on a surfboard and boost some. That and saving some cash isn't a bad side effect either.

Peahi
VIC, 1467 posts
6 Jul 2021 4:04PM
Thumbs Up

I think the 2019 and 2020 Pro Wam was almost the same, and 2018 North pro wam was similar too.

Pro models don't have straps obviously, and for their lightness are super strong IMO, the cork under deck helps a lot.

But if you plan to land really hard then I'd go for something with a bit more internal strength (eg. more carbon weave or stringer).

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Duotone WAM - 2019 vs 2020 Pro vs Regular Construction" started by adamj2281