WA, 1396 posts
19 Jun 2019 12:49PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
LuigiKiter said..

Sauce said..

PS - Love that bowls idea.

lol its 90% dudes, no thanks.

From memory 20-25% of registrations were female for both events. They just don't waste their time on this very male-centric message board.

Not sure about bowls, always said to my better half, that if she caught me getting keen on bowls, it was time to load the shotty and point in my direction.

shi thouse
WA, 1129 posts
19 Jun 2019 1:24PM
Thumbs Up

...oh come on Dave, I reckon you got a bit of a Mick Molloy look about you. Besides perfectly comfy lawn for you to sleep on at the end of the night.

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
19 Jun 2019 3:08PM
Thumbs Up

Bloody brilliant game bowls. With or without a few too many under your belt. Hard game to get any good.

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
19 Jun 2019 6:10PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Dave Whettingsteel said..

LuigiKiter said..

Sauce said..

lol its 90% dudes, no thanks.

From memory 20-25% of registrations were female for both events. They just don't waste their time on this very male-centric message board.

Not sure about bowls, always said to my better half, that if she caught me getting keen on bowls, it was time to load the shotty and point in my direction.

I've asked my wife to suffocate me with a pillow in my sleep

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
19 Jun 2019 6:21PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Sauce said..

Juddy said..
Unfortunately, I have missed the last two of these events & hope to make it up this year.

Whinge, whinge, whinge.....it's a sad indictment on our community when some crew whinge & complain about other crew organising an event, (for all of us), yet the whingers don't or won't or haven't previously helped out in the planning & delivery of said event.

The amount of planning this gig takes is unbelievable & time consuming.

Cauncy, thumbs up to you & all the crew involved in the behind the scenes stuff - don't let the whingers get you down (before the event FFS)....

Juddy is spot on - We have both had a crack at organising kitestock in the past and still have the scars.

Ask Cauncy if he even got to kite last year?

I'm happy to have an excuse to book a trip like this, I just cant find the time these days (which is a sh&t reflection on modern life) and I'm happy to pay for the privilege of someone facilitating the excuse for me!

Swore I wouldn't do it this year for 3 rd time, I logged my hrs at over 250, shut my buisness for a few days to make sure I'd done everything reqd , was a huge headache didn't sleep properly stressing over safety requirement for event sanctioning, but we need an annual event, I'm going to ask KA and Kwa for some involvement this year , the young crew at kwa have done great things recently
priorities are
youth section
girls section
fun comps aka body drag comp
dwinders
running waves comp at the point break or locally
dinner at illegal tender rum distillery or another movie night from Eppo's private collection
Dont forget katerinas help
rob Smallwood, shire staff
volunteers Slsc ,dave Whettingsteel for getting some funds. Safety jet ski, sea rescue for mother vessel, land support, bbq boys rego girls, etc etc etc
we did the gig as a non for profit on really limited funding , it looks like we might have some more possibly this year which will help to make a better gig, if you think you can assist get on board,
cheers mick

THE PIN PULLER
WA, 465 posts
20 Jun 2019 8:12PM
Thumbs Up

Loving the idea of some pork saussys for breakfast ??

Katja
13 posts
24 Jun 2019 10:36PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cauncy said..

Sauce said..

Juddy said..
Unfortunately, I have missed the last two of these events & hope to make it up this year.

Whinge, whinge, whinge.....it's a sad indictment on our community when some crew whinge & complain about other crew organising an event, (for all of us), yet the whingers don't or won't or haven't previously helped out in the planning & delivery of said event.

Cauncy, thumbs up to you & all the crew involved in the behind the scenes stuff - don't let the whingers get you down (before the event FFS)....

Juddy is spot on - We have both had a crack at organising kitestock in the past and still have the scars.

I'm happy to have an excuse to book a trip like this, I just cant find the time these days (which is a sh&t reflection on modern life) and I'm happy to pay for the privilege of someone facilitating the excuse for me!

Swore I wouldn't do it this year for 3 rd time, I logged my hrs at over 250, shut my buisness for a few days to make sure I'd done everything reqd , was a huge headache didn't sleep properly stressing over safety requirement for event sanctioning, but we need an annual event, I'm going to ask KA and Kwa for some involvement this year , the young crew at kwa have done great things recently
priorities are
youth section
girls section
dwinders
dinner at illegal tender rum distillery or another movie night from Eppo's private collection
volunteers Slsc ,dave Whettingsteel for getting some funds. Safety jet ski, sea rescue for mother vessel, land support, bbq boys rego girls, etc etc etc
we did the gig as a non for profit on really limited funding , it looks like we might have some more possibly this year which will help to make a better gig, if you think you can assist get on board,
cheers mick

Katja
13 posts
24 Jun 2019 10:46PM
Thumbs Up

EXPRESSION OF INTEREST - VOLUNTEERS FOR MWWF 2019 - DONGARA

Please email your EOI to info@flashmarketing.com.au and also indicate your availability.

e.g., pre-event, during the event (AM/PM) or after the event.

Cheers, K

FoS
TAS, 1664 posts
5 Jul 2019 12:52PM
Thumbs Up

I really appreciate everything you guys/gals are doing to make this happen

Intending to get there this year after missing last year, and I wont be travelling with Poley's this time.

Not sure what I can do from the frozen south -
The Idea of water that is about 12 degrees and daily temps well above 10 and overnights that stay positive are keeping me warm at the moment.

Katja
13 posts
5 Jul 2019 11:33AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
FoS said..

The Idea of water that is about 12 degrees and daily temps well above 10 and overnights that stay positive are keeping me warm at the moment.

Hi FoS, thanks for putting your hands up. I'll keep you posted if we can get your help with any pre-events activities. Cheers, Kat

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
5 Jul 2019 8:36PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
FoS said..
I really appreciate everything you guys/gals are doing to make this happen

Intending to get there this year after missing last year, and I wont be travelling with Poley's this time.

Be great to see you again this year fos , had a great kite at Marrawah in June, that'd make a great windfest Tasmania destination

shi thouse
WA, 1129 posts
5 Jul 2019 8:57PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
THE PIN PULLER said..

I still find that picture very disturbing every time I scroll past it.....

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
5 Jul 2019 9:42PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
THE PIN PULLER said..

Tbh the British Kite armada is where I'd love to be, Lewis crathern does an amazing gig but with masses of funding compared to our gig, tough one dan keeping the mix between relaxed and over regulated

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
5 Jul 2019 9:44PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
s_h_a_n_o said..
Been to both Windfests, loved them both.

The main draw for me is the downwinder - as a city slicker, it's not something I'd ordinarily be game or get the chance to do. I understand the main costs of the event go to insurance, and the DW support.

Centralising the event on the beach seems like a good suggestion. Maybe get in touch with Tim Turner and see if you can get hold of the big Red Bull tent he uses for the Lighthouse to Leighton? (Personally I like the timing btw, as Windfest has been my way of getting km's into my legs before the L2L which is usually a few weeks later). Big tent, couple of speakers, tunes, announcements etc. Let the surf cub run a sausage sizzle down there as well? Having a shady spot for preso's would be good, I know I was starting to wilt a bit on the final morning last year.

I'm not so keen on the bar idea, I've never really been a big fan of mixing booze and playing in the ocean. If people want to BYO in their vehicles, that's one thing, but providing a bar seems like taking on a whole heap of additional risk for very little gain.

The support vehicle running people down to the point for the mini-DW'ers back up the beach was a great idea, reckon that would be worth keeping, have it scheduled to run every hour or something (was this already a thing?).

Try and establish designated events area, request general free-ride kiters keep it clear.
- Could then maybe also use it for little mini-coaching clinics as well (eg, 1300-1400 - Frontrolls. Someone competent will talk through the basics on the beach, then stand and observe, offer tips for anyone who wants them?)

Info sessions, maybe run by different vendors - how to tune your lines, inspection/general maintenance of your bar & lines, how to/why have different footpad setups, demo on how to clean/maintain the clickbar, etc

Spotters prizes/crowd nominations for designated prizes (biggest stack, most radical move, highest boost, best carve/slash, etc). Could also incorporate Woo scores for those who have them? Have chalkboards for each, that people can update with nominations throughout the event.

Random mini-comps is also not a bad idea. Cash in on Kevin Langerees body dragging comp? The impromptu kite-pumping comp on the final morning also seemed like a hit. "Can you kite it?" - prize for the silliest item kited out and back (esky lid, inflatable flamingo, water skis, etc).

The drive-in movie/paella night I thought was great, is a nice family-friendly thing to put on. Reckon thats definitely worth keeping in the schedule.

Overall, I think it's priced about right for the chance to get up there, demo some gear I otherwise wouldn't get a chance to, do the DWer, and generally kite and chillout with friendly crew somewhere I don't usually get to. I'd consider paying extra for a Windfest rashie instead of a tshirt also.

Cheers for input, I've asked a local company to do costing cheers

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
5 Jul 2019 9:45PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
shi thouse said..

THE PIN PULLER said..

I still find that picture very disturbing every time I scroll past it.....

Vegan breakfast option

alverstone
WA, 529 posts
12 Jul 2019 4:39AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cauncy said..

Sauce said..

Juddy said..

priorities are
youth section
girls section
dwinders
cheers mick

Mate, Get in touch with TourismWA and the local MP. The Govt is making a lot of noise about events and tourism in the regions. Get them to pull their weight. You've done a cracking job - time for others.

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
12 Jul 2019 8:16PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
alverstone said..

cauncy said..

Sauce said..

Juddy said..

priorities are
youth section
girls section
dwinders
cheers mick

Mate, Get in touch with TourismWA and the local MP. The Govt is making a lot of noise about events and tourism in the regions. Get them to pull their weight. You've done a cracking job - time for others.

Wish it was that easy
itll make your hair stand on end on how much coin they'll splash to high profile branded events but grass root local events for state locals get limited and allocated funding
But hey I'd prefer a more local state event for us to enjoy, it's a hard one trying to keep a relaxed vibe from a well oiled over regulated event

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
12 Jul 2019 8:20PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
alverstone said..

cauncy said..

Sauce said..

Juddy said..

priorities are
youth section
girls section
dwinders
cheers mick

Theyve just awoke to see that mining isn't as long term as tourism, and in a
diminishing planet its hard to find a pristine coast with limited population like WA, we're on the wind and water lovers bucket list worldwide , that I know

amirite
350 posts
12 Jul 2019 8:56PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cauncy said.. its hard to find a pristine coast with limited population like WA, we're on the wind and water lovers bucket list worldwide , that I know

never a truer word spoken

ReefWalker
WA, 115 posts
9 Sep 2019 9:40AM
Thumbs Up

Been pretty quiet on the MWWF front.
It's not very long to go now, thought there would be a bit of chatter.
Is it still on?

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
9 Sep 2019 5:41PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ReefWalker said..
Been pretty quiet on the MWWF front.
It's not very long to go now, thought there would be a bit of chatter.
Is it still on?

Very much so, I'm trying to get local buisness that profit from this event to get their hand in their arse pockets, as they hugely benefit financially from others hard work
cheers mick

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
12 Sep 2019 7:24PM
Thumbs Up

Yo, I'm looking for a good photographer and drone operator for the windfest,
Plz pm me
cheers mick

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
12 Sep 2019 7:29PM
Thumbs Up

Hey guys,
TBH it looks like we might be a little shy on sponsorship/ funding for the Windfest
if you have or work for a buisness that may be able to assist I'd love to hear from you, it's s non for profit gig, the event will still go ahead but a bit extra will assist cover volunteer costs
thanks mick
pm me

Simsurf
WA, 237 posts
2 Oct 2019 9:09AM
Thumbs Up

How are things going Cauncy? Any closer to the official "Its on" call?

We're booked and coming up anyway. It'll be a Windfest weekend or a cool chill and kite at Port Denison weekend.
Either way, can't wait!

Nathe
WA, 433 posts
2 Oct 2019 10:38AM
Thumbs Up

I've been onto the company I work for to sponsor it but wheels turn very slow in big corporations. It could be a blessing in disguise if it doesn't go ahead. We could organize a massive downwinder ourselves without any of the insurance crap. That way mick actually might get to kite this year. Either way bring it on

Beaner
9 posts
7 Oct 2019 2:03PM
Thumbs Up

Heyya Mick,

Just touching base to see if MWWF 2019 is still a go 'offically'.

I understand this year has been met with some unexpected challenges, if its not going ahead in an offical capacity ( which I'm sure you would be gutted but not without much tirless effort on your part) I'd still be keen to hear if others have been chatting to you about popping up the same dates regardless, and enjoying the stoke on the back beach?

Eitherway, I do thank you for your effect and passion to kick something off, I had a blast last year, hopefully this message comes across the right way...

Love ya work.

Beaner.

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
7 Oct 2019 3:28PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Beaner said..
Heyya Mick,

Just touching base to see if MWWF 2019 is still a go 'offically'.

I understand this year has been met with some unexpected challenges, if its not going ahead in an offical capacity ( which I'm sure you would be gutted but not without much tirless effort on your part) I'd still be keen to hear if others have been chatting to you about popping up the same dates regardless, and enjoying the stoke on the back beach?

Eitherway, I do thank you for your effect and passion to kick something off, I had a blast last year, hopefully this message comes across the right way...

Love ya work.

Beaner.

Currently were struggling financially, as of today we've received $2000 , so about $8000 down on last year, I put out to local businesses that profit significantly from the gig to assist us, and gave a RSVP date at the end of last month, I've not heard from 1, so incredibly disappointed as it puts serious dollar's into their buisness, it also doesn't sit well with me that these businesses let volunteers put serious hrs into help them profit whilst sitting back and not assisting in any way, so contemplating a demo weekend and kite community get together, obviously it'll be a foc and unsupported gig, personally I'm pretty gutted by local support and assistance
Apart from sea rescue and slsc, ill let you know asap what's the go
Regards Mick

Nathe
WA, 433 posts
7 Oct 2019 4:54PM
Thumbs Up

Well we can all play that game... no one stay at the tourist park, don't go to southerly's pub , take your own food for the weekend, get fuel from out of town etc. support micks cafes and donate to the life savers and sea rescue . Selfish attitude will get you nowhere in a small town

Beaner
9 posts
7 Oct 2019 9:04PM
Thumbs Up

Sorry to hear Mick... can hear your gutted just reading your reply , especially as you say quite disappointing not 1 repy to your RSVP.

Was speaking to a few crew at Pinna's this evening, seems some are still keen to make it up 'unoffically' for a weekend sess and car shuffle for a downwinder...... so fingers crossed others might flag their interest as well and there will be still be a reasonable crew to kite with.

I'm sure you've exhausted all options, just wondering if there was any by-in from Kite Australia.... I noticed they listed the MWWF as a sanctioned event at the Leighton Beach session launcher on Saturday. Must say, the main reason I took membership out last year was for the MWWF....

So as @Nathe said, game on. ..... if you ever get to the point ( hope it doesn't reach that stage though) and end up throwing your hands in the air..... name n shame those places to avoid as well as those places in town up there to spend $$ at.

Keep punchin Mick... Im sure you will.

s_h_a_n_o
WA, 88 posts
8 Oct 2019 8:48AM
Thumbs Up

I'm still coming up for the weekend, happy to be selective at where I spend once I'm there.

For what it's worth, I'd also be happy to purchase an "overpriced" tshirt if it then helped cover a support boat for an unofficial downwinder by a group of likeminded kiters.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Midwest Windfest 2019d" started by cauncy