Forums > Kitesurfing General

Old school 2008 Cabrinha custom equivalent!?!?

Created by echostorm > 9 months ago, 23 Aug 2019
echostorm
QLD, 1245 posts
23 Aug 2019 3:47PM
Thumbs Up

hey guys it's been like 10 years since I posted... sorry!

Anyway after almost 13 years of hard use every season, including breaking my leg before breaking my board my 2008 Cabrinha custom went missing and I'm devistated. I have been demo-ing boards and can't find anything like it. What was the custom superseded with? Looks like it was discontinued in 2017.

does anyone who used to ride them know of a good equivalent or have an old one they want to sell!?

There are not many boards like the 2007/8 Cabrinha Custom, the shape/rocker/rail of the custom is perfect, because it allows me to ride hard in chop and waves without paying much attention to the board. The nose was not catchy no getting sprayed In the face because the tips are always out of the water. Less riding on the finns, more on rail.
It has lot of control. Great in waves too

it wasn't a good upwind or light wind board it needed to be powered but I don't care about these things as I don't kite in light winds and after 19 years of kite surfing, can ride upwind in anything.

amirite
350 posts
23 Aug 2019 2:42PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
echostorm said..

gets kicked off facebook
joins seabreeze again

simon78
NSW, 115 posts
23 Aug 2019 4:48PM
Thumbs Up

I have a 128 cab imperial, I think it's a 2007 but not sure. I paid 200 for some h2 straps 5 years ago.

The board is in good condition- I used it for a season and maybe 5 times with the new straps.

200 dollars for the board and virtually new h2 straps. You pay the postage.

the board is to small for me, I think it would better suit a child or female but the straps are large men's size 9 and up.

let me know if you interested.

Peahi
VIC, 1470 posts
23 Aug 2019 9:13PM
Thumbs Up

I know what you're talking about had 2010, 2011 and 2012 Customs they were the shiz. Switchblade & Custom was a great combo just ask Dre who went to Tona.

Every year the rocker got more and more and in 2013 it was almost too extreme (and power hungry), then they called it a CBL for wakewarks, the 2014 CBL was good, but by then I was using a surfboard more.

The custom stayed with less rocker until 2016 but was effectively replaced by the Ace (almost identical boards)

Getting rid of the custom (or watering it down) was a mistake, almost like getting rid of the switchblade, now it doesn't exist.

I notice the 2020 vid seems to bring back the old wakestyle tricks.

djdojo
VIC, 1607 posts
23 Aug 2019 11:05PM
Thumbs Up

I'll pay beer money for a 2013 custom even with tip or insert damage, so long as the base isn't too farked between the feet.

decay
97 posts
24 Aug 2019 2:58PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
djdojo said..
I'll pay beer money for a 2013 custom even with tip or insert damage, so long as the base isn't too farked between the feet.

I can build you one, but maybe a bit more than beer money.

Have the tooling in stock. It's my wife's all time favorite board and I built her one in 2014 CBL spec earlier this year.

Current spec Cab CBL is still from same tooling but is a shadow of its former self. Flat and noodle like and with those line catching/feature hooking V cuts in the tips - hardly the 'wakestyle' machine it once was.

Cheers

DK

djdojo
VIC, 1607 posts
24 Aug 2019 6:56PM
Thumbs Up

DK, do you know if any of the CBL's had as much rocker and stiffness as the 2013 Custom, or was it the most extreme generation?

Peahi
VIC, 1470 posts
24 Aug 2019 7:22PM
Thumbs Up

the 2013 was a banana

decay
97 posts
25 Aug 2019 1:30AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
djdojo said..
DK, do you know if any of the CBL's had as much rocker and stiffness as the 2013 Custom, or was it the most extreme generation?

I changed a lot of specs in the Cab board range from '13 to '17 can't recall it all off the top of my head. Custom had a redesign in '15, CBL got a new outline in '15 but rest of spec stayed consistent. CBL always aimed for 55mm of rocker as it was my cable board.

Cheers

DK

juicerider
WA, 790 posts
25 Aug 2019 1:56PM
Thumbs Up

The original custom was designed by Ande Philip, he parted with Cabrinha several years ago and now works for Tona, his signature board in there range is the flow, a high rockered board very similar to the custom.
tonalife.com/product/flow-20/

causehecan
WA, 668 posts
26 Aug 2019 9:05AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
juicerider said..
The original custom was designed by Ande Philip, he parted with Cabrinha several years ago and now works for Tona, his signature board in there range is the flow, a high rockered board very similar to the custom.

You do know who dk/decay is right?

Maybe introduce yourself mr dk :D

CJ2478
NSW, 483 posts
26 Aug 2019 11:11AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
echostorm said..

Anyway after almost 13 years of hard use every season, including breaking my leg before breaking my board my 2008 Cabrinha custom went missing and I'm devistated. I have been demo-ing boards and can't find anything like it. What was the custom superseded with? Looks like it was discontinued in 2017.

does anyone who used to ride them know of a good equivalent or have an old one they want to sell!?

There are not many boards like the 2007/8 Cabrinha Custom, the shape/rocker/rail of the custom is perfect, because it allows me to ride hard in chop and waves without paying much attention to the board. The nose was not catchy no getting sprayed In the face because the tips are always out of the water. Less riding on the finns, more on rail.
It has lot of control. Great in waves too

it wasn't a good upwind or light wind board it needed to be powered but I don't care about these things as I don't kite in light winds and after 19 years of kite surfing, can ride upwind in anything.

Tona pop.... you can buy mine if you want

causehecan
WA, 668 posts
26 Aug 2019 10:11AM
Thumbs Up

Eff it ill do it

Dave kay is a lehhhedgend

Use to make his own boards (decay) got on the cab design team hence his custom tooling knowledge cause i believe you actually designed the custom between what years dave? And now airrush has you and the misso yea?

juicerider
WA, 790 posts
26 Aug 2019 2:22PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
causehecan said..

juicerider said..

You do know who dk/decay is right?

Maybe introduce yourself mr dk :D

Yeah Im not questioning dk's Involved in the custom, but it was Dre,s signature board when he was with Cabrinha.
The tona flow is Andea's current signature board. It has a similar plan shape and rocker. So if you like the old custom you will like the flow also

decay
97 posts
26 Aug 2019 6:02PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
causehecan said..
Eff it ill do it

Dave kay is a lehhhedgend

Use to make his own boards (decay) got on the cab design team hence his custom tooling knowledge cause i believe you actually designed the custom between what years dave? And now airrush has you and the misso yea?

Decay Kiteboards, New Zealand, owner/designer/coffee maker/cnc button pusher/wet sander - 2001 to 2011
Cabrinha, Hong Kong, Board Designer/Product Manager/Resident Nerd - 2011 to 2016 (so model years 2013 to 2017 are 'mine')

My wife Su and I spent some time travelling after leave Cab, we now live in Cape Town. She is International Sales for Airush and after doing a bunch of contract and prototype work for Airush I joined them full time in Feb as a Designer Engineer. You'll see some of my work in the Airush range (Control Systems, Foils) coming out for 2020.

Cheers

DK

azza2u
QLD, 91 posts
29 Aug 2019 11:52AM
Thumbs Up

Dave my first board was a Sabre (I think was a used one of Su's from memory) I bought from you way back in the day. Great to see you both are still about in kiting.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Old school 2008 Cabrinha custom equivalent!?!?" started by echostorm