Armstrong hs850

Created by KIT33R > 9 months ago, 13 Jan 2021
KIT33R
NSW, 1714 posts
13 Jan 2021 3:51PM
Thumbs Up

Armstrong - hs850 wing, rear stab hs232, mast 85cm
Board - Axis 125 pocket
Kites -Ozone 10m Alpha. North5m Neo (2015)
10 knots one day to 20 knots on day 2

My ability - intermediate 62kg

Probably no need to mention the quality of the build. Armstrong foils are amongst the best. Carbon and titanium with attention to every detail.

After assembly, via a very comprehensive booklet, which required only 1 torx wrench I immediately noticed how light it was as I threw it onto my shoulder and proceeded to the water.

My first impression on the water was "where do put my feet??" That took about 30 seconds and I settled into the most enjoyable sessions I have had in a very long time.

The first day was very light wind where each downloop resulted in slack lines but I remained on foil even at very low speed. It built apparent wind quickly and allowed me to power into each transition.

Day 2 in stronger wind (15-20 knots) this foil goes from zero to warp speed in an instant. What I noticed immediately was how stable it was at speed and no need for front foot pressure. I did not feel any underwater turbulence and pitch control was easy and instinctive. I attempted several feet switches and found them easy and stable.

Rail to rail turns were enjoyable but not as loose as the cf800.

Acceleration through downloop transitions was fun with very little lift and I was able to put the power on and lean it over for a very fast ride.

Conclusion - A very playful, fast freestyle foil and I went out and bought one the next day.

dafish
NSW, 1631 posts
14 Jan 2021 8:09AM
Thumbs Up

Nice. This wing was not available when I wanted it a few months ago so I bought the cf800 to go with my hs625 (which I love in higher winds, that wing is like being on rails!), and also the hs1250. I cut my stab down to 212 and like it better. The cf800 is a fun wing in the surf and easy to carve around to wash off speed and stay engaged on the swell. Good times.

KiteHume
NSW, 51 posts
14 Jan 2021 9:40AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks.
I'm hesitant to buy this new wing.
Because I'm so happy with my Hs1050.
1st world problems.

KIT33R
NSW, 1714 posts
14 Jan 2021 9:55AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
KiteHume said..
Thanks.
I'm hesitant to buy this new wing.
Because I'm so happy with my Hs1050.
1st world problems.

I thought the 1050 might be a bit big for me since I weigh 62kg even though I have not tried it. Heavier riders who have ridden the 850 found it very enjoyable. I am amazed at the stability at speed. I am nowhere near finding its limits.

KiteHume
NSW, 51 posts
14 Jan 2021 11:32AM
Thumbs Up

Nice.
I'm only a little heavier than you.
Almost tempted.
Will loose some low end and gain some top end.
I have the HS625 as well.
Could be the the goldilocks between the two.

djdojo
VIC, 1607 posts
14 Jan 2021 5:05PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
dafish said..
Nice. This wing was not available when I wanted it a few months ago so I bought the cf800 to go with my hs625 (which I love in higher winds, that wing is like being on rails!), and also the hs1250. I cut my stab down to 212 and like it better. The cf800 is a fun wing in the surf and easy to carve around to wash off speed and stay engaged on the swell. Good times.

Marco, are you riding the 625 stock or have you had a play with tweaking it?

dafish
NSW, 1631 posts
15 Jan 2021 7:09AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
djdojo said..

dafish said..

Marco, are you riding the 625 stock or have you had a play with tweaking it?

Riding it right out of the bag, and loving it! Had it out in 20 to 25 knots with a 4 Reo. Dream session. Duck tack 360's were so smooth and easy. It's taken me a while to dial them in on the other two wings. This wing is locked in and smooth. I did a down wind cross reach to open it up and it's pretty darn fast too!

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Armstrong hs850" started by KIT33R