Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

Duotone Pro Fish 2020 vs 2021 SLS

Created by Peahi > 9 months ago, 14 Jan 2021
Peahi
VIC, 1467 posts
14 Jan 2021 9:44AM
Thumbs Up

Currently have the 2020 5'2" model and absolutely love it.

Thinking I might need a bit more volume so was considering the 5'3" 2021 SLS model (or 5'5" 2020 model)

Yes I will demo one but would like to hear from anyone who has owned 2020 and upgraded?

CH3MTR4IL5
WA, 747 posts
14 Jan 2021 4:06PM
Thumbs Up

I haven't tried the SLS, but the weight difference is only around 100g - I don't think I would upgrade personally just for the sake of it being the SLS unless you were getting a new board anyway, it doesn't look like a revolutionary change. If I was replacing one I would get the 2020 and save some coin.

But only a half-informed opinion as like you i haven't tried the SLS only the 2020. I wouldn't actually want it any lighter for jumping in stronger winds.

magnusod
29 posts
14 Jan 2021 9:47PM
Thumbs Up

I haven't owned one but are considering buying one. I'll wait until 2021 SLS goes on sale. I believe that in general the second fine tuned version of a new design is quite often a big leap forward as they have much more feedback from riders.
A German video channel Gleiten TV who test a lot of boards especially Duotone boards raved about the 2021 version saying that it was much snappier and more fun than the 2020 version.

I don't believe the marketing hype but when the designers note is backed up by tests it definitely seems to be a significant improvement.

There's nothing better than real world experiences assuming that you have he same taste as that persons opinion. That goes for online reviews as well but if you follow them for a period and read what their opinion is about the gear that you use you will get a feeling of if that is your impression as well.

Here's the designer note for SLS 2021.
However, one thing that we felt was missing was the ability to throw the board up into the lip on a really short, steep transition of a small wave. Together with the feedback of our team, I set about trying to loosen the board up to gain this key ability for small waves. What we ended up with, is a clearly more loose and more playful version of the Pro Fish - The new Fish SLS! It has a more pulled-in tail template and modified tail rocker that allows the board to pivot tighter in small waves and brings a new flare to this ridiculously fun small wave slasher.

AndreC
WA, 512 posts
18 Jan 2021 2:05PM
Thumbs Up

I borrowed a couple off Action sports WA and demo rode them both back to back. The shape changed on the SLS its got a few more variance on its top turns/reos I would say its slightly more high performance and the SLS weight/flex feels just right. I liked the size of the 5'3 suited me being bit heavier/taller than the 5'2. I found the 5'5 maybe tad big in smaller waves so 5'3 was good. I am 6ft-95kg. If you can demo or borrow from someone to try well worth it.

Peahi
VIC, 1467 posts
30 Jan 2021 9:06AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AndreC said..
I borrowed a couple off Action sports WA and demo rode them both back to back. The shape changed on the SLS its got a few more variance on its top turns/reos I would say its slightly more high performance and the SLS weight/flex feels just right. I liked the size of the 5'3 suited me being bit heavier/taller than the 5'2. I found the 5'5 maybe tad big in smaller waves so 5'3 was good. I am 6ft-95kg. If you can demo or borrow from someone to try well worth it.

Cheers Andre

What I love about my 5'2 fish is the way it's so easy to turn off bottom on small waves and hit the lip. If they improved that even more that is great. I never thought a board could actually improve my riding but this one definitely has.

I have not had the benefit of a demo, my only local duotone only has one 5'1"

I ideally want to try 5'3 or 5'5". I am also pushing 90-95kg but don't want to be riding a boat so 5'3" might be the go.

Peahi
VIC, 1467 posts
30 Jan 2021 9:09AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
magnusod said..
I haven't owned one but are considering buying one. I'll wait until 2021 SLS goes on sale. I believe that in general the second fine tuned version of a new design is quite often a big leap forward as they have much more feedback from riders.
A German video channel Gleiten TV who test a lot of boards especially Duotone boards raved about the 2021 version saying that it was much snappier and more fun than the 2020 version.

I don't believe the marketing hype but when the designers note is backed up by tests it definitely seems to be a significant improvement.

There's nothing better than real world experiences assuming that you have he same taste as that persons opinion. That goes for online reviews as well but if you follow them for a period and read what their opinion is about the gear that you use you will get a feeling of if that is your impression as well.

Here's the designer note for SLS 2021.
However, one thing that we felt was missing was the ability to throw the board up into the lip on a really short, steep transition of a small wave. Together with the feedback of our team, I set about trying to loosen the board up to gain this key ability for small waves. What we ended up with, is a clearly more loose and more playful version of the Pro Fish - The new Fish SLS! It has a more pulled-in tail template and modified tail rocker that allows the board to pivot tighter in small waves and brings a new flare to this ridiculously fun small wave slasher.

Thanks would love to go and demo one (hence my original post) there is only one 5'1" at a local shop, and honestly a pita to get hold of! :)

AndreC
WA, 512 posts
8 Feb 2021 10:10AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Peahi said..

AndreC said..

Cheers Andre

What I love about my 5'2 fish is the way it's so easy to turn off bottom on small waves and hit the lip. If they improved that even more that is great. I never thought a board could actually improve my riding but this one definitely has.

I have not had the benefit of a demo, my only local duotone only has one 5'1"

I ideally want to try 5'3 or 5'5". I am also pushing 90-95kg but don't want to be riding a boat so 5'3" might be the go.

Yeh the 5'5 isnt as high performance as the 5'2. So yeh 5,3 prob the goods

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Duotone Pro Fish 2020 vs 2021 SLS" started by Peahi