Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

TheCarbonCo. Vape 100 Foil Board

Created by riddim1 > 9 months ago, 8 May 2020
riddim1
QLD, 147 posts
8 May 2020 8:44PM
Thumbs Up

Thought I'd post a review on my recent experiences with my CarbonCo 'Vape 100' foil board. I've had about 15-ish sessions on it so far in conditions ranging from 9 thru 20 knots. I ride with a Lift 170 bolted to the bottom. I'm 85 pies and well entrenched on the foil learning curve. I've ridden Naish and Jshapes gear since starting to foil over the last year and a bit. Been kiting since 04'.

To start, I'd have to note that it's awesome to be able to ride something with "Made in Australia" emblazoned across the deck. This model being the carbon wrap E-Glass shape (100x43x25). It has a bit more flex than the full carbon model which suits my style. I ride bay conditions with wind swell and have a surf influenced style. This board is nicely weighted. My last board was too light making foot switches almost impossible at my level. I have progressed more with the The Vape than my other two previous boards combined. It floats on its side for a few minutes before settling which makes strapless water starts a breeze.

Mitch (CarbonCo Owner and shaper) has marketed the Vape for intermediate/advanced level freeride and strapped jumping (it comes with inserts). I'm well off the jumping level but also think it crosses over well into wave riding. The flex is brilliant in and out of turns and combines well with my Lift 170. It's got an aesthetic shape. I guess if you've been into water board sports for a time, you develop an instinct for what will work and what won't.

I'd say it has an intermediate rocker. Unlike my last board which would submarine, touch downs are a non issue now. I think the rocker is subtle unlike some of the more expense Euro/Asian boards (Ketos etc). The deck grip is.... grippy, tick. It's well placed across the deck. My last board had the mast set too far forward (deep tuttle) causing all sorts of grieve within my stance and riding style. The Vape has the tracks mounted towards the diamond tail. My foot now is planted right over the tail (where I drive from) and there's 10-15cm of spare realestate up front.

Despite it being designed for an intermediate/advanced rider, I believe it would suit all levels and would be a board you'd grown into and advance with. Mitch is a one-man-band offering a bespoke, Aussie made product at a much cheaper price point than the 'big brands'.

Check his website.
www.thecarbonco.net

dafish
NSW, 1631 posts
9 May 2020 7:53AM
Thumbs Up

Nice setup. Love what Mitch has been putting out. Having had the Nang all season it has proved to be almost bulletproof. Beautifully weighted, a joy to ride, and am very happy it's made in this country. Mitch will customize the colors anyway you like, which is great as you can add your own personal touch. I had some sweet little pin lines running down off center of the board which gives it a nice classic look, perfect for old school like me. Highly recommend his work.

snalberski
WA, 857 posts
9 May 2020 8:16PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
riddim1 said..
I'm well off the jumping level

?? If your riding without losing it your already at the jumping level.... all you need to do is send it

Kraut
WA, 542 posts
10 May 2020 9:10AM
Thumbs Up

That's a beauty

Adam'KiteRepair
NSW, 331 posts
22 May 2020 10:33PM
Thumbs Up

Honeslty, it doesnt get much better than supporting Aussi made. Super stoked to have a Vape next to my Cardboards board on my Personal board rack with my Blacksheep between!!

Leighbreeze
WA, 531 posts
23 May 2020 6:02PM
Thumbs Up

Can only agree with the great comments in regards to Mitch and his home grown oz made Carbonco boards.
They are well made and an even better ride.
I have three precious babes
150 BinChook Quad fin foil board
100 Beug foil Brd
120 Vape foil Brd
all precious Thanks Mitch??

shi thouse
WA, 1129 posts
24 May 2020 6:20AM
Thumbs Up

Great looking quiver you have there mate but why do you have 3 foil boards Leigh?

Leighbreeze
WA, 531 posts
24 May 2020 6:01PM
Thumbs Up

Good question mate.
My wife asks me that but now she has given up.

KBGhost
QLD, 260 posts
24 May 2020 9:39PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
shi thouse said..
Great looking quiver you have there mate but why do you have 3 foil boards Leigh?

3 foil boards is clearly 3 times better than 1 foil board. Der.

I have settled on 2: one strapped for jumping & one for the rest.

Also a happy member of the carbonco club. 18 months on my Nang it's tough as.

shi thouse
WA, 1129 posts
24 May 2020 9:29PM
Thumbs Up

Couldn't agree with you more! Just curious about how Leigh chooses which board to use. They all look quite similar and was wondering how he chooses between each board.

My experiences are based on just the one board (Axis Tray) and it seems to suit most conditions.....just wondering if I need another one now!

Adam'KiteRepair
NSW, 331 posts
26 May 2020 9:46AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
shi thouse said..
Couldn't agree with you more! Just curious about how Leigh chooses which board to use. They all look quite similar and was wondering how he chooses between each board.

My experiences are based on just the one board (Axis Tray) and it seems to suit most conditions.....just wondering if I need another one now!

I have no evidence to back this up, but more than one board is better than one board.

AquaPlow
QLD, 1051 posts
26 May 2020 7:30PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
shi thouse said..

My current logic... If likely need to swim due to low wind take big board... Small board is another Carbonco ..
Cheers
AP

Leighbreeze
WA, 531 posts
27 May 2020 6:15AM
Thumbs Up

shi thouse I reckon choice is the spice of life.
Different conditions different choice options.
Nature throws various conditions daily.
Always throw a few options in the van as to ensure a session.
Nothing worse than missing out after the anticipation.
We are lucky to have so much choice.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"TheCarbonCo. Vape 100 Foil Board" started by riddim1