Forums > Kitesurfing   South Australia

Things that give us the ****s.........

Created by pdub > 9 months ago, 4 Feb 2009
pdub
SA, 6 posts
4 Feb 2009 5:25PM
Thumbs Up

just an open convo to see if its not just me but there seems to be a lot more crew around this year wich is great............but alot of them dont even know some basic rules of good judgement and respect to all fellow kiters

rents
5 posts
5 Feb 2009 6:25AM
Thumbs Up

Perhaps instead of going on the internet and complaining about "them", you could work on improving the situation by offering help and tips in a non-patronising manner to said parties at the beach?

But that would require effort right so why bother?

jarradm
SA, 137 posts
5 Feb 2009 10:47AM
Thumbs Up

i bet rhys gets the ****s on everytime he goes to walk through a door. must suck having to go sideways....get off the roids

hydra
SA, 254 posts
5 Feb 2009 9:53PM
Thumbs Up

kiting population grows=crowded beaches=more kook to kitesurfer ratios.
too many kiters out there getting taught by unexperienced mates.
what can you do though, just try and help the ones that have no idea, it might just be that they dont completely know the rules,
when i learnt to kitesurf (still learn something new everyday!) i wanted to be around people so if i needed help, there was someone there.

its frustrating but i think more patience with learners would help.
also if you see someone doing the wrong thing, let them know, it might just be that they dont actually know if they are doing the wrong thing.

is it gonna blow saturday or what!!

JOYRIDER
705 posts
6 Feb 2009 10:43AM
Thumbs Up

in order to keep the kooks away just go out when its mega windy.
most kooks **** them self.
have fun hope it blows for u boyz

airush geoff
974 posts
6 Feb 2009 10:55AM
Thumbs Up

Me thinks it might be time that a kiting etiquette guide was issued with every kite sold...I think it is in the main people not understanding how their behaviour affects others and education is the key but if you have to talk to 5 people every time you are at the beach it kinda sucks and no matter how polite you are it is not always well received...

saffieboy
SA, 222 posts
6 Feb 2009 12:28PM
Thumbs Up

Indian Food...[}:)]

Rooboy
SA, 298 posts
6 Feb 2009 12:41PM
Thumbs Up

Airush Geoff, he gives me the ****s every time i speak to him. All i can hear is ROARRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! he he

Chops
SA, 107 posts
6 Feb 2009 12:46PM
Thumbs Up

airush geoff said...

Me thinks it might be time that a kiting etiquette guide was issued with every kite sold...I think it is in the main people not understanding how their behaviour affects others and education is the key but if you have to talk to 5 people every time you are at the beach it kinda sucks and no matter how polite you are it is not always well received...

Geoff, in all seriousness why doesn't SAKSA, as the governing body, organise an info night down the West beach SLSC. All the rules and regulations could be discussed as well as a presentation on general good conduct and respect for others. Could advertise it at the shops and maybe give out some flyers down the beach so a broad scope off attendees is present. Would be happy to contribute to the night as it would make it safer and more enjoyable for everyone. Seabreeze wouldn’t be accessed by many of the ‘newbies’ so to gain a wider audience I think it needs a different approach.
Chops

sbray
SA, 350 posts
6 Feb 2009 1:36PM
Thumbs Up

Chops said...
Geoff, in all seriousness why doesn't SAKSA, as the governing body, organise an info night down the West beach SLSC. All the rules and regulations could be discussed as well as a presentation on general good conduct and respect for others. Could advertise it at the shops and maybe give out some flyers down the beach so a broad scope off attendees is present. Would be happy to contribute to the night as it would make it safer and more enjoyable for everyone. Seabreeze wouldn’t be accessed by many of the ‘newbies’ so to gain a wider audience I think it needs a different approach.
Chops

Great ideas Chops.
I had mentioned offline to a couple of SAKSA members that a "new kiter" / beginner / "newbie" section be set aside on the SAKSA forum.

Information for "L" & "P" platers like me can collectively learn where, how & when is best to kite without grief.

Most of the SAKSA committees are currently flat out, (doing a great job),organising / researching issues and planning events for its members.

What is required is someone, (a SAKSA member not currently delegated to a task), to volunteer to "champion" this plan.

Remember, (from my experience) working on SAKSA initiatives does not leave you by yourself. Other members always seem ready to lend assistance but tend to have their own areas to fill as well.

This plan would probably incurr researching / contacting all relevant parties, be that Kite Schools, SLS Clubs, beach councils, Retailers, tourist information outlets, SAKSA & relevant websites to place the correct info.

The plan organiser would need to keep the SAKSA committee up to date on progress of the plan.

Hopefully then the plan could be monitored to guage how well it is recieved and whether it requires any updates or changes to be successful.

The Plan could include a single point of reference so that discussion on the beach could be kept at a polite minimum but allow maximum info for said "newbie".

So, Chops, a volunteer is required to fulfill your excellent idea............I can almost see your hand up from here

JOYRIDER
705 posts
7 Feb 2009 9:28AM
Thumbs Up

in order for a night class to work you have to get students.
good luck getting those.

maybe its a respondiblty of the shops when selling the product, theres always plenty of BS going down when purchasing gear so why not chuck it in then???

Leeds
NSW, 209 posts
8 Feb 2009 2:15AM
Thumbs Up

it s@#ts me when the BOM get the forecast right for a change

they said a SW change around mid day and sure enough when we were on the northern side of outer harbour shipping channel the wind goes SW

it was still an adventure none the less

PassingWind
QLD, 154 posts
8 Feb 2009 4:38PM
Thumbs Up

I think a session on basic conduct and things of the like is a great idea.

I am totally new to it all and i personally want to know all the rules towards fellow kiters and beach goers.

Why not just post something up on here rather than organise an event in the short term. I think you may be surprised how many newbies might turn up to an ed night on this kind of stuff. Most people genuinely want to be considerate and they want to know what the rules are. Its like sufing, unless you tell somebody that its not on to drop in on your wave, they dont know they re doing anything wrong.

Its a great idea and i am 100% keen for anybody to tell me what not to do, and any other advice. If people dont want advice then thats their problem but dont put everyone in the same boat.

Cheers Dave

PassingWind
QLD, 154 posts
11 Feb 2009 7:05AM
Thumbs Up

I knew those rules. But its the right of way rules that i need to know. Is it just that you give each other plenty of room...??? Somebody please educate me.

kitecroc
SA, 513 posts
11 Feb 2009 1:06PM
Thumbs Up

Ok, if your heading directly towards another rider, the rider who is upwind lifts his/her kite high and the person downwind lowers their kite. That way you can pass each other with out fear of tangling the kites. Like anything, commen sense has to prevail. If you see someone that looks like they are clearly not going to change there tack angle to avoid a near miss, so what if you have to slightly change yours. I have noticed this season that people don't seem to be raising or lowering their kites enough when nearing and passing other kiters.

If you are wave riding, the person who is riding the wave has right of way no matter what. It is up to the person who is tacking out to stay WELL CLEAR of the wave rider.

Remember we are all out there to have fun.

KFKiter
SA, 213 posts
11 Feb 2009 1:31PM
Thumbs Up

People who don't look before boosting, how hard is it to have a quick scan BEFORE you send the kite.

andycass
QLD, 85 posts
11 Feb 2009 1:57PM
Thumbs Up

something that gives me the s*&t is the no right turns heading south down king william.

Murphysegg
SA, 62 posts
24 Feb 2009 8:07PM
Thumbs Up

Waveriders who give you a mouthfull when you inadvertantly change tack infront of them.

There wasn't exactly a shortage of waves in Adelaide last night!!!

Quote - "If you are wave riding, the person who is riding the wave has right of way no matter what. It is up to the person who is tacking out to stay WELL CLEAR of the wave rider."

Not entirely sure i understand the waveride ruling as they have a far better gauge of where you are, than you have of them. ie. i wasn't waveriding & was downwind, yet they appeared on my shoulder out of nowhere.

kitecroc
SA, 513 posts
24 Feb 2009 11:21PM
Thumbs Up

Sorry i wasn't entirely clear on that quote about wave riding. When riding a recognised wave riding spot, eg Seaford Reef, Goolwa, Robe Third Ramp etc. Waverider has right of way. Where this rule becomes very grey is when people are riding knee to waste high chop at places like Henley. Then i personally think the best rule is always check before you turn. This way you know you are not going to cut anyone off, wave or twin tip rider. Look everyone one has cut someone off at sometime by accident and most people get over being cut off pretty quickly. I'm sure the person who you cut off had forgotten about 30 seconds later.

(Quote)
Not entirely sure i understand the waveride ruling as they have a far better gauge of where you are, than you have of them. ie. i wasn't waveriding & was downwind, yet they appeared on my shoulder out of nowhere.

Funny enough when you are wave riding and actually turn on to a wave, you become extremely focussed on the wave. You are looking down the line of the wave for sections to hit, as well as watching your kite to make sure it is positioned correctly for hitting a section. So you tend to see very little outside of the area of the wave and your kite.

At the end of the day, look out for each other. If you see a guy flying down the line, jibe a bit earlier. Same goes if you see one some one starting to unhook to pull a massive loop. I've cut people off, people have cut me off, it happens and it can be frustrating at the time. But as i've said, most crew have forgotten about it 30 seconds later.

Look out for each other and happy kiting, Croc

Chops
SA, 107 posts
2 Mar 2009 10:18PM
Thumbs Up

Starting uni the week the wind decides to blow gives you the sh#ts

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing   South Australia

"Things that give us the ****s........." started by pdub