Forums > Kitesurfing   South Australia

Wishful thinking?

Created by SpawnofFossl > 9 months ago, 3 Jan 2012
SpawnofFossl
SA, 116 posts
3 Jan 2012 1:12PM
Thumbs Up

www.bom.gov.au/marine/wind.shtml

Is it wishful thinking that Pazza will have enough wind tonight to make the trip. Probably going to head out there about 5pm.

Definately will be on tomorrow night though depending on the rain

Genetrix
SA, 236 posts
3 Jan 2012 1:25PM
Thumbs Up

It will be sweet if you have water to ride on.

Chaps
SA, 91 posts
3 Jan 2012 1:48PM
Thumbs Up

BOM also says:

"Northwest to southwesterly 5 to 10 knots tending southerly 15 to 20 knots during the afternoon then reaching 20 to 30 knots by early evening. Winds decreasing to south to southwesterly about 20 knots later in the evening."

By that report there shouldn't be any shortage of wind.

SpawnofFossl
SA, 116 posts
3 Jan 2012 3:26PM
Thumbs Up

Low 3:58pm 0.7 m
High 11:23pm 1.9 m

Might have to go for a bit of a walk

Dodge tide tomorrow 1m.

might have to try largs instead.

SpawnofFossl
SA, 116 posts
3 Jan 2012 7:32PM
Thumbs Up

might have to try largs instead.

Should have taken my own advice. No water at Parham - should have gone 2 largs

DaGodfather
SA, 280 posts
4 Jan 2012 11:16AM
Thumbs Up

Hi guys, we kited there a day after Christmas in 0.3m tide. We just walked to the end of the sand, set up the kites and then kited out on top of the seaweed until we got to the water. That seaweed only looks like it's all drained off water, but it's not, you can actually kite through it - I didn't believe it myself until I saw Janowsk do it about a year ago. It's dead flat on the other side once you get passed it.

P.S.
I'm planning to repeat the same trick on Sunday if there is strong enough wind to do speed runs. I'm hoping for the wind to be in the 25+ knots range (the low tide is 0.3m at midday). Anyone else keen?

SpawnofFossl
SA, 116 posts
5 Jan 2012 11:56AM
Thumbs Up

1m dodge tide with25knot winds tonight. Would I be totally insane to go out on my 12m?

Genetrix
SA, 236 posts
5 Jan 2012 1:24PM
Thumbs Up

SpawnofFossl said...

1m dodge tide with25knot winds tonight. Would I be totally insane to go out on my 12m?

NOPE IT WILL BE AWESOME

DaGodfather
SA, 280 posts
5 Jan 2012 2:22PM
Thumbs Up

Genetrix said...

SpawnofFossl said...

NOPE IT WILL BE AWESOME

Nah, it would be awesome - BUT - the BOM never gets it right for Parham. I went there yesterday and the wind was bordering on gale (gusting in the low thirties). I rigged up an 11m Crossbow (thinking its a temporary gust) and regretted it for the rest of the session. Luke was there on a 7m and he clocked up more air time than an amateur pilot. There was also another kiter there, also on a 7m.
I am willing to bet that today the wind will be stronger then yesterday and I won't be surprised if it gusts to 35knots. If the tide was lower I'd go myself to do some decent speed runs, but at 1.3m its gonna be too choppy for that.

Edit: Let us know how you went (if you end up going)

SpawnofFossl
SA, 116 posts
5 Jan 2012 11:15PM
Thumbs Up

Edit: Let us know how you went (if you end up going)

05/07:30pm - S 19 23
05/07:00pm - S 22 26
05/06:30pm - S 21 24
05/06:00pm - S 21 26
05/05:30pm - S 24 29

SO It was looking sweet - arrived at 5.30 - pumped up - set out my lines - caught some weed - instant birds nest

1.5 hours later - lines untangled - getting dark - went home.

So far I have been doing really well this week lol.

Tuesday - Went to parham - good wind - no water
Wednesday - Went to the point - lots of water - too much wind
Thursday - Went to parham - enough water - plenty of wind but the kiting gods hate me [}:)]

Have learned some things though
- apparently you can kite at parham even though it is low tide - good to know
- when leading out your lines in 28knots, don't do it anywhere near seaweed

DaGodfather
SA, 280 posts
6 Jan 2012 5:10PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Spawn, sorry to hear that, but don't worry - sooner or later you'll have a decent go, there seems to be plenty of wind these days.

By the way, I'm not sure which website you took the the above wind readings from but they are for Outer Harbour, not for Parham. On a good seabreeze day like yesterday you'll find the ACTUAL Parham readings are 5-7 knots higher then Outer Harbour. Unfortunately there is no weather station at Parham - the only way you can check it is to bring anemometer with you.

So - if it makes you feel any better - you may have ended up a bit overpowered on that 12m anyway. At least this way both you and your kite are in one piece and you'll save your energy for the next time.

SpawnofFossl
SA, 116 posts
9 Jan 2012 3:23PM
Thumbs Up

P.S.
I'm planning to repeat the same trick on Sunday if there is strong enough wind to do speed runs. I'm hoping for the wind to be in the 25+ knots range (the low tide is 0.3m at midday). Anyone else keen?

Did you end up going on Sunday? Seemed like it was blowing pretty hard

DaGodfather
SA, 280 posts
9 Jan 2012 5:41PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah I did. I did't have to kite through the seaweed though The wind was directly on shore and it blew the water in - the level was about 0.8m instead of 0.3m - so no tricks were necessary.
The water was like a mirror for miles, not even a ripple. But the wind was dodgy and it wasn't that strong - it mostly fluctuated around 20 knots with some stronger gusts maybe to 25. But it had massive "holes" - sudden lulls to possibly 12knots. These were a pain and a couple of times I nearly stacked it at high speed in in the middle of a speed run - almost like somebody cut your kite lines.
So I didn't break any speed records, but I had fun anyway.

Chaps
SA, 91 posts
10 Jan 2012 9:50PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Ryan, I just read about your birds nest incident. I've been done a couple of times at Parham also. If you're gonna self launch around weed, try rigging your lines at right angles or with the bar slightly upwind of the kite. Then launch with the kite further down wind of you so the lines don't drag across seaweed much. Less chance of tangles. It will launch more powered so take care in high winds.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing   South Australia

"Wishful thinking?" started by SpawnofFossl