Forums > Kitesurfing   South Australia

educate the public about dangers of kites

Created by Cyclops > 9 months ago, 7 Jan 2013
Cyclops
SA, 16 posts
7 Jan 2013 4:05PM
Thumbs Up

With all the restrictions as to where and where we cannot kite due to council regulations especially as they are concerned for the saftey of other beach users why is there not some kind of warning/education signs or basic rules as to how to avoid clashing with a kite/lines etc. I have witnessed on numerous occasions people attempting to negotiate lines as kiters are trying to launch or people setting up their spot on the beach where mulitple kites are being launched flown and landed totally oblivious to the possible dangers.
There are plenty of signs warning not to enter/ litter/ catch this or that fish/ walk dog off a leash none of which are life threatning(b depnding o the dog!) but not one sign to beware of kites or the dangers associated with the sport .
i was also surprised to see that not even the life savers know what is what when it comes to where kiting is allowed after being told i was not to fly my kite at Grange beach then confirmed by person in charge for the day. Does SAKSA have any communication with the elevant surf life saving clubs? Thanks

coastflyer
SA, 572 posts
7 Jan 2013 7:52PM
Thumbs Up

I am not surprised that surf life savers have no knowledge of kite-surfing no-go areas, as their main concern is what happens between the flags. My three kids are all volunteer life savers and regularly do their patrols. They are also trained on kite-surfer rescue, as part of their on going training. The link gives an idea as to the type of training that they get, if they see a kiter in trouble.

www.surflifesaving.net.au/pdf/rescue_services/kitesurf.pdf

Kiteboarding SA
SA, 262 posts
7 Jan 2013 11:00PM
Thumbs Up

Cyclops,

SAKSA approached the Charles Sturt Council a few years ago with proposed signage for our local beaches however on review with the councils it was deamed to just not be an option!

Additionally SAKSA has a series of Safe Kieboarding Guidelines on the SAKSA Website which clearly state that we should Launch, Ride and Land well away from bystanders. Please refer to the following link http://www.saksa.com.au/?page_id=363
These are Guidelines developed by the NSWKBA in conjunction with WAKSA which have been adopted by SAKSA and have be in place for quite some time now.

Within the guidelines it clearly states
'Give way to the public on the beach and in the water at ALL TIMES. Be courteous and polite to bystanders. Complaints have frequently led to bans and restrictions on kiteboarding in some areas and continue to do so, on a regular basis. NEVER launch, ride or land upwind of nearby bystanders. While it may not always be possible, work to keep a minimum 100 m buffer zone from bystanders.'

Based on these guidelines common sense would dictate kiters would stay well away from other swimmers and beach users, and would go nowhere near the flagged areas patroled by the surf life savers. I believe this would also be covered as part of the training package delivered by the Kitesurfing schools.

If you do see a fellow kiter doing the wrong thing the best thing to do is to approach them and politely clue them in to the dangers they are putting other beach users in and advise them of correct way of doing things. After all its much easier to educate the 400 odd kiters in SA rather than the wider population.

For a full list of kitable beaches on the metro coast please also refer to the map on the SAKSA website under locations: www.saksa.com.au/?page_id=279

SAKSA recently touched base with several local Surf Life Saving Clubs and are currently in the process of developing a training package which we intent to deliver to several of the local Surf Life Saving clubs on kiting and kite safety as a trial. Feebdack received from the Surf Life Saving Association on this approach has been very positive so far.

I hope this all helps and clears up your concerns.

Cheers

SAKSA

JBFletch
QLD, 1287 posts
8 Jan 2013 8:24AM
Thumbs Up

Cyclops said...

With all the restrictions as to where and where we cannot kite due to council regulations especially as they are concerned for the saftey of other beach users why is there not some kind of warning/education signs or basic rules as to how to avoid clashing with a kite/lines etc. I have witnessed on numerous occasions people attempting to negotiate lines as kiters are trying to launch or people setting up their spot on the beach where mulitple kites are being launched flown and landed totally oblivious to the possible dangers.
There are plenty of signs warning not to enter/ litter/ catch this or that fish/ walk dog off a leash none of which are life threatning(b depnding o the dog!) but not one sign to beware of kites or the dangers associated with the sport .
i was also surprised to see that not even the life savers know what is what when it comes to where kiting is allowed after being told i was not to fly my kite at Grange beach then confirmed by person in charge for the day. Does SAKSA have any communication with the elevant surf life saving clubs? Thanks

Unfortunately we are the minority and therefore we need to make sure accidents don't happen.
We cannot expect people to read signs about how to negotiate kites on the beach.

However, often many beach users are regulars, and by you, simply giving them some instructions on how to walk around the kite (i mean just tell them nicely whats happening) will help other kiters in the long run.

The amount of kiters i see in sydney, asking for public to help launch, or kiters yelling at public to get out of the way, is stupid.

Its our responsibility, either wait for the people to walk past or go somewhere thats not as busy.

Cyclops
SA, 16 posts
9 Jan 2013 8:41AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the feedback folks. The life savers that i was referring to were in their 40s and 30s and were in a 4wd patrol vehicle nowhere near the flagged swim zone. One of the life guards stated he was a kiter himself and even after showing him the SAKSA go/no go zones was positive that no kiting was allowed at Grange beach but council would not enforce the rule? A plain list or graph at the top of the web site page of yes/ no kiting such as below then followed by conditions to expect at each beach below that:
North Haven- YES ( SAKSA permit required)
Largs Bay- YES ( SAKSA permit required)
Semaphore - NO KITING ( as it does state)
Grange -YES (designated kiting beach.SAKSA permit required)
ETC....
The SAKSA site according to the way the life guard read it did not allow kiting because it did not state kiting allowed but merely stated what wind conditions were the best and what to expect . Thanks for listening

Rooboy
SA, 298 posts
9 Jan 2013 10:57AM
Thumbs Up

Cyclops,

Not sure how it can be stated more clearly than it already is with the map of the metro coast up on the SAKSA Website under locations!

Cyclops
SA, 16 posts
10 Jan 2013 7:51AM
Thumbs Up

sorry for confusion. When i typed in kitesurfing areas in Adelaide google came up with Saksa site but it didnt have this coloured map or anything like it on the page. Thanks for the heads up

kitepolice
SA, 20 posts
10 Jan 2013 10:09AM
Thumbs Up

Quote;
“Council has no control over water.”

Director Community Development
City of Port Adelaide Enfield

Once you are in the water, you are under the Harbours and Navigation Act.
Kiteboarders are classified as a vessel.
Which means, when you are in the water you have the right to kite where you like. Just observe navigational rules ect. Kiteboards are seen as a Vessel under Sail Power.

We are not suggesting you ignore the recommendation of SAKSA, But there is the option to kite in the areas that are suggested as restricted.

Also… remember the council has control of the beach.

launching in a Go zone and passing through No-Go zone is Legally acceptable

Transition_Surf
SA, 286 posts
12 Jan 2013 11:53AM
Thumbs Up

Hey KITEPOLICE.....

Try kite near West Beach or Glenelg and we'll see how long it'll take before the Federal Police come down on you like a ton of bricks. The Council might not have control over the water but CASA has control of the airspace you are using.... Flying an object near an airport without permission is a Federal Offense under the Anti-Terrorism Act.

Good Luck!!

Gru
SA, 14 posts
15 Jan 2013 11:30AM
Thumbs Up

A timely discussion...
The Torrens mouth needs to be viewed the same in terms of maintaining a buffer zone. Last week there were a couple of people in there busting some wicked moves, which is hardly surprising as that butter flat water is so tempting.

The downside is they were shooting past kids paddling in that bit of water and in one instance a kite came down on the sand not far upwind from a sunbathing family.... if the safety had popped (as it did earlier in the day for another bloke out on the water) it could have been ugly.

We had some people who had kids playing near the mouth come up and chat as they were concerned about a few things (e.g. they did not know that they were safe if the kiter was downwind of them. The none riding public has no idea about what the sport involves. They just see a big kite and a fast moving rider and sometimes get nervous. Yes signs would be a bonus in terms of informing them but keeping clear of them is also needed). We chatted to the riders, one understood and stopped... the other continued. If there were not general beach users this would not have been an issue but on this day that was not the case, we were sharing the beach with other people.

We are so lucky in Adelaide to able to cruise down to the closest beach to the city and ride straight after work etc. Access is not a right and we all need to do our bit to make sure that continues.

Hennerz
2 posts
21 Jan 2013 12:31PM
Thumbs Up

Hey guys,

Interesting conversation. I live in Henley South and have been interested in Kitesurfing for a few years now (hence why I browse these forums).

I was inspired to finally register here after my trip to the beach yesterday afternoon. There were about 10-12 kites in the air while we were swimming. The water was quite rough at the time, enough to impair visibility between the swell. My four year old son and I were standing in waist deep water about 10 meters from the shallows jumping over waves and in the space of 5 minutes had three different surfers come within i'd say conservatively 4 meters of us. One came close enough to touch. These were not people launching, but repeatedly cruising up and down.

My question to Cyclops is - do you "educate" yourself to the dangers posed by skateboarders before you head to the local shopping centre?

Do you research methods for pacifying dangerous dogs before you take a stroll around the block?

When you launch your kite it is YOU who is introducing an element of danger to the beach that would otherwise not exist. Responsibility lies with you mate, not the local beach goers. Just because Henley South allows Kitesurfing it doesn't mean that Kitesufers are granted preference to the area over other beach goers. I suggest you reassess your attitude because I can tell you there is a big push amongst locals to get Kitesurfing banned in Henley South. I've been asked to sign more than one petition in the last year. That would be a real shame, because most of the surfers i have met have been great people having a great time.

dazza5172
SA, 311 posts
21 Jan 2013 6:16PM
Thumbs Up

I think it is very important to increase the culture of seeing issues and dealing with them as appropriate as you see fit and are capable of.
I was at Robe last week and after coming back from the north along long beach there was a kiter about to launch very close to second ramp (about 1/2km from the on main beach on ramp. This wind was super offshore and super wrong (with no swell) I decided to pull up and have a friendly "Hi, going out here? bit gusty, we always kite down thrid ramp or further, better wind there, looks a bit dangerous here" - he was "I'm all ready, im going out here" - okay sure, ego all set up, I understand, then after he lanched I could see he could kite (which was my first worry) then he could see just how stupidly gusty is was.
Next day I saw his kite up closer to third ramp end, sweet.

This type of non offensive gentle education helps, we have all been in those aggressive educational sessions, but no one is asking anyone to do it, just building the culture of being okay to bring others into the group and getting them to see their errors by default.

SAKSA can't do it all,... We are SAKSA, or we are the kite community and kiting is NOT a solo sport. There is no place for loners in kitesurfing IMO, there are lots of people out there coming from different sports hanging on the fringe, we have to educate.

If you come to southcentral you will get a G'Day Mate, my names 'Jack'

Daz

RJB
SA, 16 posts
21 Jan 2013 7:16PM
Thumbs Up

God bless Adelaide and its beaches

After a week in the Gold Coast watching stupid water use by every water craft possible, I am so glad I live and kite in Adelaide. Adelaide is one of the safest cities in the world to kiteboard. In the Gold Coast, kiters ride amongst swimmers, moored yachts, jet skiers, channel markers, water skiers, speed boats, fishermen and much more. The kiters there also have too launch and land over each in the smallest amount of beach and was very dangerous. To top that, there was also certified instructors teaching in these conditions. I kited there and it scared the hell out of me and made me very grateful for the lovely beaches, kiters and public in Adelaide.

SA also has the best state kiteboarding association in the country educating kiters, the public (as much as possible) in safe procedures and supplying kiters with insurance to ensure anyone that gets accidentally hurt will be covered. We should count our blessings.

To the locals of Henley that wish to have kiting banned, please come down and talk to us. We are happy to let help you understand what we do. If you are near kiters and is scares you move slightly up wind or tell us your concerns. Kiters take up a small amount of the coast. You don't set up on the beach in the middle of a beach cricket game, it takes up about the same space and has about the same risk. I wont say no one gets hurt by kiters, but it is rare and we also help a lot of people having difficulty in the surf. The beach is the general publics, not just the owners of land near by and we do have a right like everyone else to use it.

kitepolice
SA, 20 posts
22 Jan 2013 4:47PM
Thumbs Up

Found these kite boarders at Henley. Clear breach of the Anti-Terrorism Act.

your nicked

Hennerz
2 posts
23 Jan 2013 11:31AM
Thumbs Up

Easy to joke about it, but it's a shame when a couple of idiots (who will probably sell their gear in 6 months to buy Jetski's anyway) ruin it for everyone else.

jaysmith
SA, 14 posts
23 Jan 2013 9:23PM
Thumbs Up

Hi All,
Im new to the sport and am super aware of other beachgoers and wont even consider launching if there are people in (or out) of the water nearby.
Henley / Grange always lokks to busy for me, Tennyson gives me the room I need.
Saw another beginner nearly take out a beachgoer last sunday while packing up i couldnt believe he was trying to get on his board 10 ft from the sand, with a mostly onshore wind, the kite jibed over and smacked down close to someone walking on the beach.
Just hope that person doesnt get offered to sign a petition.

Jegs
SA, 7 posts
23 Jan 2013 9:41PM
Thumbs Up

I agree Jay & Hennerz, It doesn't take a lot of thinking to do the safe option, not that difficult either.

The way I see it is that if we don't do the right thing with regards to etiquette, legality and safety, we will lose the awesomely convenient access we have to our metro beaches.

Kiteboarding SA
SA, 262 posts
23 Jan 2013 9:41PM
Thumbs Up

Thankyou Hennerz, I appreciate the time you have taken to join this forum and express your concerns from someone who is standing on the other side of the fence. I'm sure you are not alone in your thoughts with the concerns raised by beach goers about kiters getting to close to other beach users. So once again thank you for your thoughts and concerns.

To the metro kiting population,

As we have been stating for the last 7 years, the areas we have for kiting are ours to lose, it's that simple! Stupid and careless behaviour will see access to metro beaches lost for all of us. I make no apologies for being harsh on this topic but unfortunately there seems to be a small percentage of people out there who think it is a joke and that they have the right to kite anywhere they please. All you have to do is look at the restrictions placed on jet skies and moto cross riders to see that councils will not hesitate to ban and place huge restrictions on groups that are thought to be irresponsible or dangerous. If this happens, every one of us will lose out and have to travel at least an hour north or south to go for a ride because of someone's selfishness. This will also impact small businesses in the metropolitan areas (such as retails stores and kite instructors like Guy, Matt and Tommy who have probably taught most of you).

All of this can simply be avoided by using some common sense and being courteous/careful around other beach users. It's really not that hard!

Everyone needs to remember that it is not the public's responsibility to look out for kitesurfers, it is a kitesurfers responsibility to ensure they do not put the general public's health and safety at risk!

Shaun Crocker
SAKSA President

dazza5172
SA, 311 posts
24 Jan 2013 11:17AM
Thumbs Up

Full support for Croc and SAKSA on the South Central Coast, if the city looses its beaches and everyone ends up down with us how long before we loose our beaches as well.
Southcentral has Zero tolerance for careless kitesurfing and 'harsh' is what people will find with the locals for stupidity, and have found them, I also make no apology for this.

with miles of beaches and plenty of space South Central and South East coastline has no reason for any innocent beach users to be at risk from stupid kitesurfing.

Everone is fully invited to come over and join the group, 100%, get up the beach at Goolwa a couple of ks and cut loose

enjoy

Daz

Cyclops
SA, 16 posts
24 Jan 2013 5:37PM
Thumbs Up

Been away for a week with no internet acsess and glad to see and hear peoples reactions. A bit annoyed at Hennrez reaction though...pacifying dogs? 99 % of peopel are generaly aware of what dogs can do to people in certain situations but i think if you were to ask those same people what a set of strings attatched to a kite can do they would more than likley have no idea .
My point at the beginning of this forum was to come up with some way of letting the public know what to look out for,not to keep them away from the beach, not get into and arguement about who has the right to use a beach. we as kiters cannot be responsible for every action taken buy onlookers. We launch in a less populated area and five minutes later that same spot is populated. This sport is reasonably new here and people are keen to observe...human nature. We pay insurance that in the event of anything happening the public are protected but surely some simple signage is a small price to pay to educate the public . thanks for listening

kitepolice
SA, 20 posts
24 Jan 2013 6:11PM
Thumbs Up

children... children

Lets not get to paranoid.

KiterBen
SA, 161 posts
24 Jan 2013 8:11PM
Thumbs Up

Always wise words from YorksBoy.

JOYRIDER
705 posts
25 Jan 2013 7:52AM
Thumbs Up

kitepolice said...

children... children

Lets not get to paranoid.

maybe the cops could help people launch and if someone is setting up or riding to close to kids or swimmers they could taser them or pepper spray them.

kitelooper1
112 posts
25 Jan 2013 9:52AM
Thumbs Up

you pussies- who are apparantly in charge of lethal killer devices, are so running scared of Big Brother my alter ego might lobby to get kiting in the Regs with expensive annual licences to help pay for all the debt he racked up , exemption for anyone who can do a back roll which means that 90% will still have to pay

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing   South Australia

"educate the public about dangers of kites" started by Cyclops