Forums > Kitesurfing   South Australia

kiter in a pickle

Created by Franny18 > 9 months ago, 9 Jan 2013
Franny18
QLD, 11 posts
9 Jan 2013 9:58PM
Thumbs Up

Gday all,
I went kiting at Largs for the first time on Sunday arvo, the wind was SE and it wasnt a solid wind. Once I got out about 50 meters there was plenty of wind so stayed out a bit and had a good kite for about 40 mins, then the wind died completely and I had to self rescue and ride the kite back to sure....slowly.
There was another kite out about the same distance as me who looked to be in some strife, by the time i got back to sure, i could still see the kite heading toward the Western tip of the Northern rock wall, so he was a hell of a long way out and the kite was not coming off the water, so not sure what was going on.
When i got back to sure i asked a few people if they knew who it was, and no one knew but they said his Brother and wife were following him up the beach, one in the car. i saw a life saving boat head in that direction about 15 mins later but he would have been past the rock wall by then....
no idea what happened after that. does anyone know who it was, and wheather he ended up ok. I felt a bit hopeless and just hoped he was ok.
cheers
Franny

Splat76
SA, 59 posts
9 Jan 2013 11:53PM
Thumbs Up

all turned out good....kiter in question did the right thing and sacrificed his gear for a small swim with his board and kite was later retrieved from near the wall, all emergency crew left happy that he was okay!!

Franny18
QLD, 11 posts
10 Jan 2013 7:58AM
Thumbs Up

excellent, good to hear.
thanks.

JOYRIDER
705 posts
11 Jan 2013 12:02PM
Thumbs Up

this shouldn't happen in the first place..

In a SE wind pattern the wind gradually swings offshore starting at Seacliff.(which is miles away)

Watch the wind and you shouldn't ever have to do a self rescue or "sacrifice" your gear.

sorry to be blunt.

Glad the person is alright tho

kiteboy dave
QLD, 6525 posts
11 Jan 2013 6:32PM
Thumbs Up

Oh sorry you said IN a pickle, my mistake.

Splat76
SA, 59 posts
11 Jan 2013 10:20PM
Thumbs Up

noice lookin like your half way through your "pickle" Dave!! hope it wasn't a sou easter!!

kiteboy dave
QLD, 6525 posts
12 Jan 2013 12:11PM
Thumbs Up

Nah that's not me, luckily I started kiting about 6 months after the picklefork was declared a bad idea.

Instead I was sold a 180cm twin tip naish barge as a beginner board. It would go great, so long as you never tried to deviate from that one line it would just go faster and faster and faster until you reached crash speed.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing   South Australia

"kiter in a pickle" started by Franny18