Forums > Kitesurfing   South Australia

kiting the Coorong

Created by rudyforest > 9 months ago, 1 Dec 2012
rudyforest
SA, 36 posts
1 Dec 2012 11:26AM
Thumbs Up

gents, my bro is a beginning kiter. We are living at Seacliff (lucky us) but wanted to do some travelling.

Is there good kiting in the lagoons behind the dunes along the coorong? If so can you give us the nearest city, description etc.!!

Thanks kindly!

JBFletch
QLD, 1287 posts
2 Dec 2012 9:50PM
Thumbs Up

try Sugars beach. (launch from hindmarsh island)

just stay in the shallows.
the tide is gnarly

lovelife
SA, 160 posts
3 Dec 2012 1:31AM
Thumbs Up

lake george, around beachport is flat and shallow. can be gusty (only been there in early spring) but on a nice seabreeze (due to close location to the beach) it should be pretty good

ellemenophee
SA, 68 posts
4 Dec 2012 3:17PM
Thumbs Up

Sugars had a small crew Saturday. Was rideable from 12 onward. Was a dodge tide day with 30 cm movement & this lessened the currents. Low at 10am .4 & high at 4pm. Lots of landing & launch areas & was shallow all sides around the sandbank opposite the mouth.

rudyforest
SA, 36 posts
5 Dec 2012 10:55PM
Thumbs Up

Tried Sugars today....sweet. Really suited to kites. I even windsurfed with the bullsharks, but no water starts

My bro had a blast working in 30cm water all day.

DaGodfather
SA, 280 posts
8 Dec 2012 12:03PM
Thumbs Up

rudyforest said...

...I even windsurfed with the bullsharks, but no water starts...

Nice, bonus adrenaline rush!... Were they on the inside of the Murray Mouth or in the ocean just outside?

I usually only kite there when the tide is flowing out of the mouth and I keep telling myself that sharks being salt water creatures won't venture in at that time. I've never seen any sharks while kiting inside the mouth on the outgoing tide, but I know there are lots just outside.
However, I would imagine it would be different when the ocean water is flowing into the mouth. They probably congregate around the line where the outflowing/inflowing waters collide (around most turbulent spots) and so do other fish.
I'm not a fisherman, but I've seen such fish congregations at other places - is it the same there?

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing   South Australia

"kiting the Coorong" started by rudyforest