Forums > Kitesurfing The Hookup

whitsundays july august

Created by Kozzie > 9 months ago, 23 Jun 2013
Kozzie
QLD, 1451 posts
23 Jun 2013 10:27AM
Thumbs Up

hay all,
im going to be in the whitsundays for july august september basicly unemployed and homeless yay. the sweet taste of freedom is so close feel like quiting my job today!
so just trying to work on my kiteing etc :D im planing on camping on beaches such as whitehaven for a few days at a time just kiteing being simple. i know bowen and conway in prossie and blacks beach in mackay. allso dingo and hideaway (and that freaky little passage between gloucester) just wondering if anyone knows any more spots i should check out? ive oticed that whitsunday passage pops up on windguru looks like a windier then normal spot.
just got my boat licence so might possibly buy a little tinny rather then pay the 75$ each way fee of being dropped on and off.

allso wondering if there's any other bums out there who wouldn't mind joining me. im sure if we just stare at the BOM marine wind forecast maps for long enough watch how the wind flows around these islands we could find some ideal spots. anyways just a thought. as im not REALLY up for the drive to Bowen and back everyday and hay who doesn't want to spend 3 days camping on an island for 15$-20$ (national parks bout 6$ a night) anyways feel free to let me know, nothings concrete just wanted to see if im going to need to pack a soccer ball to talk to for the 3 months.

Rails
QLD, 1371 posts
31 Jul 2013 8:42AM
Thumbs Up

How's the soccer ball?

Kozzie
QLD, 1451 posts
8 Aug 2013 3:11AM
Thumbs Up

allright so bit of an update no point everyone learning the hard way.

basicly getting theres fine its about 70$ you can use whitsunday cruises, ocean rafting or scamper.

now i didnt really think all of this threw properly.

the camp site is located south end of the island. which is about an hour and a half walk away from ON SHORE winds. sure you can walk for 15 minutes then kite out into the channell and kite to the inlet (which is the only kiteable spot in a south easterly) and it is truly amazing. beutiful beutiful place.

****load of stingrays and what have you tho.

anyways so walk 15 minutes north till you can kinda launch in some serious rotor then you gotto put faith into your knowledge of the clouds and what not and kite out where your far to uncomfortable and then you head down no problem. but then you gotto walk back.... with all your gear... after a few days of this i decided i was better off just trying to drift out into the channell and just playing around out there then comeing back in a good 15 minute walk from camp. all this with no one else around (apart from the tourists that come by the hundreds to lie face down on the beach for half an hour then go back or make the mission that is to stand on the 4 foot rock at end of the beach but they just kind of all blur out of your conciousness after a few days there like ghosts who feast on green mussells while your going thru your 4th straight day of savings sardines) makes for a bit of a sketchy situation. is it just me or do the sharks know when your kiteing alone?

anyways so if the campground was near the inlet it would of been PERFECT i couldnt of asked for more and i would of never come ashore. but after only a week on the island a twisted knee and no food left and sammy my pet sandfly was starting to act up i called it a day and hoppd a boat home.

i would be more then happy to do it again if the wind was a north north easterly so you could kite near the campground or another solution i thought of was if i had a boat to get myself to and from the inlet. ive been looking into it and unfortunatly when its windy and good kiteing the whitsunday channell will be to ruff for me to try get a little dinghy across it.

so yeah it wasnt the best. but you gotto try these things its all part of it.
i know theres kite companys that do tours there etc for 1.5k for the week. if i was money rich and time poor even tho i hate organised **** id probably do it that way. theyd just pull up ship in the inlet and thats just where you want to be in a sse

so if you have a yacht give us a yell :)

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing The Hookup

"whitsundays july august" started by Kozzie