Forums > Kitesurfing   Western Australia

Be careful who you get a launch from @ The Pond

Created by Kraut > 9 months ago, 27 Dec 2013
Kraut
WA, 542 posts
27 Dec 2013 8:16PM
Thumbs Up

Just a heads up to everyone kiting at the pond in Safety Bay. It's always been a bit of a special place and that's why we love it
But these days we get some cool and not so cool visitors and some who while obviously not having much of a clue about kiting offer launches to others. Basically a good thing and I am not looking for a discussion regarding assisted launch vs self launch. But for those who like me think it is good to help launching and landing and are grateful if someone wants to help.
Be especially careful these days and don't assume everyone knows the thumb up sign. Saw a guy offering help and then letting the kite go while there was no thumb up and the guy even yelled "put it down please". He flew about 20 meters and landed in the dunes. Luckily nothing happened.
I am trying to be neutral here (and spare you what I think ablut those folks who also did some funny teaching in the pond before that happened) and just alarm you to the increased risk over the holidays as I would like to keep this for me local spot safe and not shut down.
Happens everwhere I know. Just thought it is good to revisit that idea of 1. Asking whether the person has a clue about kiting and 2. Ask to wait for the thumb up sign.
Thanks and enjoy, Andy
PS. No I am not a noob, and yes I am wearing kite pants

glasstraxx
WA, 321 posts
28 Dec 2013 4:49AM
Thumbs Up

similar thing happened to me when i was learning at applecross... whilst still trying to mast upwind edging i ended up down at majestic point at Melville / Applecross where the rocks and wooden pathway is.

Came onto the shore and asked an older guy walking his dog to help me land. things went nearly pear shape as he has no clue and i felt like a bit of an idiot for asking in the first place. he went on the wrong side of the kite and he could of got caught in the lines..

werty
WA, 119 posts
28 Dec 2013 9:49AM
Thumbs Up

For your own protection trust no one...............

Kraut
WA, 542 posts
28 Dec 2013 1:10PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
glasstraxx said..

similar thing happened to me when i was learning at applecross... whilst still trying to mast upwind edging i ended up down at majestic point at Melville / Applecross where the rocks and wooden pathway is.

Came onto the shore and asked an older guy walking his dog to help me land. things went nearly pear shape as he has no clue and i felt like a bit of an idiot for asking in the first place. he went on the wrong side of the kite and he could of got caught in the lines..

Yeah that sucks but here it was another kiter who offered to launch. So you would assume he knows how it works. As you say werty it seems better to not trust hence mentioning the thumb up thing even though it seems silly.

dusta
WA, 2940 posts
28 Dec 2013 2:02PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
glasstraxx said..

you should have popped your safety then . beginner lesson learnt

glasstraxx
WA, 321 posts
30 Dec 2013 5:06PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
dusta said...

you should have popped your safety then . beginner lesson learnt

Yepp... I would have really like to learn how to self land during my lessons . Still don't feel confident self landing four line at Melville ..

Hybrid_Z
VIC, 381 posts
30 Dec 2013 8:26PM
Thumbs Up

Stand in water, pull safety, wind up lines, walk in. Never ask a non kiter to help you land.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing   Western Australia

"Be careful who you get a launch from @ The Pond" started by Kraut