Forums > Kitesurfing   Western Australia

Camping and Kiting in Esperance

Created by KitersElbow > 9 months ago, 30 Sep 2014
KitersElbow
WA, 78 posts
30 Sep 2014 1:24PM
Thumbs Up

Re-posting this in the WA forum...

Looking to head down to Esperance with the family over the Xmas / New Years break.

What's the best place to camp for kiting around there?

How quickly will the sites fill up at that time? If we roll in on Xmas Day will we be good? I imagine they fill up on Boxing Day...

Anyone kited at Lucky Bay?

IvorWindeas
WA, 107 posts
30 Sep 2014 11:11PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Davidk said..

Looking to head down to Esperance with the family over the Xmas / New Years break.

How quickly will the sites fill up at that time? If we roll in on Xmas Day will we be good? I imagine they fill up on Boxing Day...

Esperance is a small town, it's often full long before xmas with grey nomads and the kalgoorlie crowds, so be warned you may have no option left but to camp on the over flow campsite on the show ground, which has no shade, limited facilities and is not such a great place to spend your xmas with the family. You have a slim to no chance of camping in Le grande national park. Book if a site in town if you can.

Lucky bay is pretty, but the banks have usually gone over summer and is one big horseshoe shaped close-out.

Fourths is the local wave spot. 2 kites is a crowded day. 9mile best left to windsurfers as offshore.

But the national parks around Esperance are vast, with an incredible number of options. 4wd necessary though.

KitersElbow
WA, 78 posts
1 Oct 2014 12:31PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
IvorWindeas said..

Davidk said..

Esperance is a small town, it's often full long before xmas with grey nomads and the kalgoorlie crowds, so be warned you may have no option left but to camp on the over flow campsite on the show ground, which has no shade, limited facilities and is not such a great place to spend your xmas with the family. You have a slim to no chance of camping in Le grande national park. Book if a site in town if you can.

Lucky bay is pretty, but the banks have usually gone over summer and is one big horseshoe shaped close-out.

Fourths is the local wave spot. 2 kites is a crowded day. 9mile best left to windsurfers as offshore.

But the national parks around Esperance are vast, with an incredible number of options. 4wd necessary though.

Hmm, that is not so encouraging at all!

So the Cape Le Grande campgrounds will all fill up well before Xmas then?

What about the 2WD accessible ones in Stokes and Cape Arid?

Is the Seafront Caravan Park the only option in town?

herbyburger
WA, 300 posts
2 Oct 2014 3:49AM
Thumbs Up

Cape Le Grand National Park is one of the many jewls in the area and the most popular, at Lucky Bay it is hard enough to try and jag a picnic table there
at that time of year let alone a camp site. The further east you go the better chance you "may" have. Obvisously the earlier you can get down there the better, Just dont expect to rock up and get a spot.
Bit past Le Grande is The Duke of Orleans, the caravan park there might be an option if you ring in and book asap.
Some great camping spots all along the espy coast line that have some of the best kiting around, just follow your nose and enjoy the paradise!!

IvorWindeas
WA, 107 posts
2 Oct 2014 7:11PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

Hmm, that is not so encouraging at all!

So the Cape Le Grande campgrounds will all fill up well before Xmas then?

What about the 2WD accessible ones in Stokes and Cape Arid?

Is the Seafront Caravan Park the only option in town?

Seafront is the best, and Esperance Bay caravan park.

2nd choices- Pine Grove Holiday Park, Pink Lake caravan Park,

Cape Arid (Thomas River) has many sites and is not often full and 2wd access, and good kiting on right there on Yokinup beach.

The other spots have very limited sites. It is a big problem here for visitors, locals claim the spots early. The Duke is always booked over new year, as that is the favourite spot for Esperance Locals that time of year.

diginoz
WA, 317 posts
5 Oct 2014 9:19PM
Thumbs Up

Will be there end of october do you need a wet suit.or a bag of quick set.
Cheers

IvorWindeas
WA, 107 posts
7 Oct 2014 9:45PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
diginoz said..
Will be there end of october do you need a wet suit.or a bag of quick set.
Cheers

Yes to wettie at present. By xmas thermal rashie or shortie is enough.

bananaprawn
10 posts
8 Oct 2014 2:46PM
Thumbs Up

West of esperance hopetoun, skippy rock (think you need a 4wd)

Aridnfor the beaches also. Duke of orleans is a unreal spot with options for a lot of things. Have had a runin with the caravan park owner though

KitersElbow
WA, 78 posts
8 Oct 2014 5:26PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks to all who have replied. I talked to the caravan parks, and some park rangers...it sounds too hard to secure a site that xmas - new years week. Sooo, I decided to part with some $$ and booked a cabin in town instead.

So now, my question is different..just where are the best spots to kite around Esperance??? Flatwater? Waves? Are there downwinders?

My kiting mate I'll be with has 4WD, if that changes things...

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing   Western Australia

"Camping and Kiting in Esperance" started by KitersElbow