Forums > Kitesurfing   Western Australia

Camping and kiting in Shark Bay

Created by ALN78 > 9 months ago, 3 Oct 2014
ALN78
WA, 15 posts
3 Oct 2014 9:33PM
Thumbs Up

My first trip up North to Shark Bay area next week …
What is the best place to camp (no 4WD). What are the best spots for kiting. Im Beginner/ intermediate. Any good advices? Im travelling solo so great with some kiting friends! Anne.

RPM
WA, 1549 posts
3 Oct 2014 10:55PM
Thumbs Up

Please take a power drill and 1/2 inch bit with you if camping as this may assist.

beatit
WA, 25 posts
4 Oct 2014 1:12AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Aln,

The post below has a few tips on kite spots. You can easily kite the whole front of Denham, or off the sandbar at the NW end, or in little lagoon. Just watch out for stonefish!

www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Kitesurfing/Western-Australia/Short-video-of-kitesurfing-Shark-Bay-Jan-2014/

Denham Seaside Tourist Village is ok, and you can walk straight down to the beach with your gear. Monkey Mia is nicer for camping but no good for kiting.

Enjoy!

RPM
WA, 1549 posts
4 Oct 2014 4:49AM
Thumbs Up

I mentioned the drill because the ground is super hard and you will struggle to get to get tent pegs if you are camping. However if you haven't been here you won't know!

If you don't believe me, see this link and scroll to the red!
sharkbay.com.au/accommodation/sites

Weta
WA, 892 posts
4 Oct 2014 7:34AM
Thumbs Up

RPM said..
I mentioned the drill because the ground is super hard and you will struggle to get to get tent pegs if you are camping. However if you haven't been here you won't know!

If you don't believe me, see this link and scroll to the red!
sharkbay.com.au/accommodation/sites

RPM good bit of advice mate
Wish someone had told me before I camped at Coronation's at the start of the year a normal 20 minute setup took fricken hours
I ended up using water to soften the ground then bash tent peg in a bit pour more water in hole wait, bash tent peg in a bit more water & repeat. I was later told about the drill trick or some people use a hardened steel spike.

ZaZz
WA, 89 posts
5 Oct 2014 7:40PM
Thumbs Up

Nanga Bay!!
Nice caravan park (pool and geothermal spa!) and shallow water for 100s of metres...
At low tide the spot is flat flat flat! I bit more choppy when the tide is coming but still!!
Was windy 24h/day last few days.
Enjoy!!

ALN78
WA, 15 posts
6 Oct 2014 9:30PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks guys, this is all very useful. Heading up tomorrow morning- yes …even got the drill!!

mazdon
1196 posts
7 Oct 2014 8:55AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ALN78 said..
Thanks guys, this is all very useful. Heading up tomorrow morning- yes …even got the drill!!

please drive safe.

better to cruise and take your time, and arrive a little later, then to copy some of the more reckless drivers out there who maybe (or maybe not in some instances) have alot more experience on our country roads.
give yourself plenty of time if overtaking, watch out for roos and other wildlife (including cows near shark bay!) especially at dawn and dusk, and stick to the speed limits when you go through the towns, even if it seems like there is no one around...

and then have fun on the water!
enjoy

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing   Western Australia

"Camping and kiting in Shark Bay" started by ALN78