Forums > Kitesurfing   Western Australia

Dredging to recommence at the pond in Rockingham

Created by daveh > 9 months ago, 19 Oct 2016
daveh
WA, 9 posts
19 Oct 2016 5:19PM
Thumbs Up

Hi all the council in Rockingham has decided to Dredge the point area next to the channel at the pond from November to January this will make this area unpleasant for most of the season please see attached.

Holysmoke
WA, 88 posts
20 Oct 2016 8:53PM
Thumbs Up

The Pond seems to be changing rapidly. The other day I was there and we were all commenting on the amount of extra sand on the NW end. Unfortunately I think that the boat owners that use the ramp have more pull than the kiters.

Nathe
WA, 433 posts
21 Oct 2016 5:26AM
Thumbs Up

The north west end? You'd be in the car park i think you mean east

craigcrackles
VIC, 15 posts
22 Oct 2016 9:20AM
Thumbs Up

Sauce has given grate photos and a link on the pond in the general section. Have a read and look. Think it might do more good than harm in the long run. Heading over your way in feb so time will tell

Holysmoke
WA, 88 posts
24 Oct 2016 8:35AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Nathe said..
The north west end? You'd be in the car park i think you mean east

Nathe have a look on Google Maps. The beach area where you set you lines up is actually the NW end of the pond.

Nathe
WA, 433 posts
25 Oct 2016 11:34AM
Thumbs Up

Yeah it is . That doesn't effect boat owners the south east corner does . Don't need google maps to know which direction is which and what's behind that sand.. a car park

Holysmoke
WA, 88 posts
25 Oct 2016 6:42PM
Thumbs Up

Ok. I was simply stating that a lot of sand has repositioned itself in the NW end of the pond as well where the shallow section seems to have grown. Sorry for the confusion.

Spitfire
WA, 394 posts
26 Oct 2016 9:21PM
Thumbs Up

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!

Satti
WA, 13 posts
1 Nov 2016 8:24PM
Thumbs Up

Last time the dredging stirred up a lot of rubbish.
I really wonder how effective this is since the area from the tip of where they are dredging towards warnbro has become very shallow.....
Not to mention the timing of starting this work - nicely timed with the beginning of the season!
I have seen 2 guys damaging their kites on Saturday, getting caught on some of the equipment out there

Jake888
WA, 106 posts
3 Nov 2016 4:51PM
Thumbs Up

I was out on Tuesday and the dredger was plenty enough out the way not to get tangled in my Kite.

Word of caution though, be mindful of the dredging pipe that runs across the bay, it was sunk when I crossed it on the way out but only saw it last second on the way in and was sticking out the water by 200mm, a quick olly over it meant no dramas but if I hadn't seen it and my board went under and I went over would of led to a broken ankle and the end of my season.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing   Western Australia

"Dredging to recommence at the pond in Rockingham" started by daveh