Forums > Kitesurfing   Western Australia

Heads up WWA event at Woodies 1st/ 2nd Feb

Created by WindsurfingWA > 9 months ago, 22 Jan 2014
WindsurfingWA
WA, 799 posts
22 Jan 2014 9:23PM
Thumbs Up

Hey guys,

Just a heads up WWA are holding an event at Woodmans Pt on the 1st/2nd Feb.

This is good opportunity for both sports as it means the local council are now allowing events to take place there.

We originally tried to make this a combined WWA/ WAKSA event, but it has not worked out this year, hopefully next!

The competition area will be marked out with buoys, it will be off the spit on the 3rd beach, basically where we sail normally. The area further downwind won't be used so there will still be space for everyone.

Event details:
https://windsurfingwa.tidyclub.com/public/events/415-wa-freestyle-state-championships

Any questions let me know.

Al

juicerider
WA, 790 posts
22 Jan 2014 9:40PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
WindsurfingWA said..

We originally tried to make this a combined WWA/ WAKSA event, but it has not worked out this year, hopefully next!

Al

What went wrong, is WAKSA not interested in a freestyle event?
Good luck with your event BTW

WindsurfingWA
WA, 799 posts
23 Jan 2014 6:44AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks juicerider

I proposed a combined event multiple times, but to be honest they never followed up with any real interest. Maybe they have more interest in non-freestyle events?

Hopefully this event goes well and we can build on it next year, it is the ideal spot, close to the city and spectators can be right next to the action.

Al

dusta
WA, 2940 posts
23 Jan 2014 9:10AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
WindsurfingWA said..

Thanks juicerider

I proposed a combined event multiple times, but to be honest they never followed up with any real interest. Maybe they have more interest in non-freestyle events?

Hopefully this event goes well and we can build on it next year, it is the ideal spot, close to the city and spectators can be right next to the action.

Al

if you did a slalom event and combined it with kiters and windsurfers you would get a much better turnout . If you want to do something like that contact me

juicerider
WA, 790 posts
23 Jan 2014 9:40AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
WindsurfingWA said..

Al

Such a shame, would have been an awesome event with both kites and windsurfers.
Next year if WAKSA still have no real interested in freestyle please email me, and I'll organise it with you for the kiters. Maybe Dusta could organise a slalom event on beach 2 at the same time.

WindsurfingWA
WA, 799 posts
24 Jan 2014 12:22AM
Thumbs Up

Great ideas guys will be in touch next year for sure.

Al

NickT
WA, 1094 posts
24 Jan 2014 6:25AM
Thumbs Up

Exactly the reason I'm no longer a Waksa member! Voiced my concerns about lack of dedicated freestyle events on Facebook and was told I should organise it myself.

eibwen
WA, 116 posts
24 Jan 2014 9:42AM
Thumbs Up

Yeah it's total horse ****! whats their deal?.

I'll volunteer my time to help get some thing going!

Sauce
WA, 203 posts
24 Jan 2014 10:37AM
Thumbs Up

WAKSA had a freestyle event that was held at Leighton a week or two after the Oceanics. Also had another freestyle comp at the Indian Ocean Classic, as well as a wave comp.

Woodies would be the best place, no doubt about it.. Cockburn requires several months lead time to approve any event down there, as opposed to a week with Freo.

Hopefully next year..

dusta
WA, 2940 posts
24 Jan 2014 11:05AM
Thumbs Up

amazed me when freestylers bitch about no freestyle comps yet there has been 3 comps in the past 6 weeks . Hardly any freestylers supported it so why should waksa waste their own unpaid time running a comp no-one backs ???

Not happy with the level of organisation then get in contact with darren or drew and offer your services . They are always looking for extra hands to help organise things .

Weta
WA, 891 posts
24 Jan 2014 11:20AM
Thumbs Up

WAKSA are seriously undermanned.

At the AGM they said if any members want to organise an event and do it all in accordance with WAKSA/KSA guidelines then they will support it.

The wave comp at wedge is an example.

NickT
WA, 1094 posts
24 Jan 2014 11:47AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Dusta, thats because they're always tacked onto the end of a Downwinder or race etc as an afterthought and held in areas **** for freestyle.
Maybe hold the next wave comp at the pond after a freestyle event!

Also they need something that'll get people interested EG. obstacles that were mentioned at LOC last year but got pulled pretty quick. I know of a few people who were in for that.

dusta
WA, 2940 posts
24 Jan 2014 11:52AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
NickT said..

Hey Dusta, thats because they're always tacked onto the end of a Downwinder or race etc as an afterthought and held in areas **** for freestyle.

Also they need something that'll get people interested EG. obstacles that were mentioned at LOC last year but got pulled pretty quick. I know of a few people who were in for that.

so have you approached waksa and offered to run it for them . ?

Sauce
WA, 203 posts
24 Jan 2014 1:16PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
dusta said..

NickT said..

Pretty simple, if there are motivated people out there, get involved. As dusta said, waksa are all unpaid volunteers and have jobs, wives, kids and all that crap to contend with. Given the whole committee only includes about 7 people, events are forced to be tacked onto to larger events..

NickT, Im sure they would take ya, especially with ur freestyle preference..

With course racing, wave comps, freestyle and even foil racing all competing for a slice now days. Its important to get behind it. Who knows where the other states sit on these formats..

brooksy
WA, 498 posts
24 Jan 2014 5:39PM
Thumbs Up

Last freestyle event at Woodies was great for the riders but attracted hardly any spectators. So it ended up being just for the freestyle kiters and attendance wasn't that great, from memory about 18 men, 8 youth and 4 women.

On the plus side it was some excellent spectating for those who were there!

HugoH
WA, 17 posts
30 Jan 2014 8:00AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
WindsurfingWA said..it will be off the spit on the 3rd beach, basically where we sail normally.

So you will finally stay up there, not overtaking the kiters coming in to do tricks?

WindsurfingWA
WA, 799 posts
30 Jan 2014 3:15PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
dusta said..

Yes 3 times over the last year in fact! It was proposed as a joint event, but we would expect both parties to help to run it.

Select to expand quote
HugoH said..
So you will finally stay up there, not overtaking the kiters coming in to do tricks?

Yes the council has given us permission to use the area offshore from the 3rd beach, which will be marked out with buoys.

Just for information here is the event timetable:

We will have decent set up down there with BBQ, music etc, so should be a good place to hang out over the weekend.

Thanks
Al

dusta
WA, 2940 posts
30 Jan 2014 3:18PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
WindsurfingWA said..

dusta said..

Yes 3 times over the last year in fact! It was proposed as a joint event, but we would expect both parties to help to run it.

Al that was actually directed towards NickT , not you guys :)

ApatheticEnd
WA, 995 posts
30 Jan 2014 9:21PM
Thumbs Up

Just because it ****s me, it's called Woodman Point not Woodman's Point. A bit of local history for you: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodman_Point

Best of luck with your windsurfing thingamajigger.

WindsurfingWA
WA, 799 posts
31 Jan 2014 3:09PM
Thumbs Up

Ok thanks for the correction! I thought it was Thomas Woodman's point but we will correct it for next years event...

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing   Western Australia

"Heads up WWA event at Woodies 1st/ 2nd Feb" started by WindsurfingWA