Forums > Kitesurfing   Western Australia

Melville Waters

Created by AirSic > 9 months ago, 1 Dec 2010
AirSic
WA, 40 posts
1 Dec 2010 8:08PM
Thumbs Up

Had a great session down at Melville waters this afternoon although gusty, however if we upset the local residents by riding road bikes up and down the foot path to pick up kiters who cannot get back up wind the privilege will be taken off us. Show some common sense.

ApatheticEnd
WA, 995 posts
1 Dec 2010 11:02PM
Thumbs Up

I spotted this too just as I was setting up. To be fair, I should have said something but I just shook my head. A very busy, very gusty day on the river and it all ran really well. Everyone showing each other respect on the water. Always a good idea to smile, be friendly, and engage the residents that use the beach too.

And maybe not ride motorbikes down the footpath with no gear or helmets on. Next time I'll I see it I'll have a word. Good day of kiting though. Even with it gusting nearly 30knots.

WA, 1255 posts
2 Dec 2010 7:57AM
Thumbs Up

ApatheticEnd said...

And maybe not ride motorbikes down the footpath with no gear or helmets on.

the bogans have landed at melville, the billionaires wont like it at all.

you boys had better get onto it.

bene313
WA, 1347 posts
2 Dec 2010 2:52PM
Thumbs Up

Super gusty indeed.

I wouldn't be surprised if that spot is lost to residents in the near future.

Show offs riding all the way up to the shoreline fly their kites basically over the road. Then others run upwind along the shoreline flying their kites over the road side. At gusty Melville one of these kites is one day going to take out a resident enjoying an afternoon stroll by the riverside.

Surely they can do their transitions where the buoys are, while those needing to walk/run back upwind can either land their kites or fly them over the water instead of the road.

ApatheticEnd
WA, 995 posts
2 Dec 2010 3:05PM
Thumbs Up

I've given up trying to tell people to turn at the buoys. So few people actually observe this rule. I know the WAKSA spot guide outlines it pretty clearly but maybe we need some signage up down there for kiters that aren't members or blow ins. It is really only a matter of time until the residents get fed up. It'll only take one incident of injury or property damage to lose a great spot close to the CBD.

dbabicwa
WA, 805 posts
2 Dec 2010 6:09PM
Thumbs Up

My last experience with asking for a bit of common sense was reply with "Kiss my ass".

I've tried to be polite, said Please etc....So, there you go, lack of culture and respect.

dusta
WA, 2940 posts
2 Dec 2010 6:32PM
Thumbs Up

dbabicwa said...

My last experience with asking for a bit of common sense was reply with "Kiss my ass".

I've tried to be polite, said Please etc....So, there you go, lack of culture and respect.

a water cop handing out warning for one afternoon would no doubt have an effect

shizmo
WA, 17 posts
6 Dec 2010 11:46PM
Thumbs Up

Good spot to learn, having done my lessons and getting my gear I visited after work last week.

Perfect for starters, people seem friendly and keen to give a hand to the likes of myself when asking to launch etc.

Althought there was one kiter who was seriously endangering everyone trying to launch his kite UNHOOKED.... and wondering why he is getting dragged down the beach.... Seriously after my friend saved him and mentioning that he NEEDS to be strapped in he casually replied

"No way if im strapped in im gona get pulled out to sea"

After 10 mins we gave up on him??

Honestly... wow... Then he proceeded to try get his kit in the air with it flying everywhere at full power not hooked in nearly rapping into my lines...

****ing idiot seriously wrecked the mood. Other than that ill be out there a fair bit from now on working on my confidence to move out to sea :)

gruezi
WA, 3464 posts
7 Dec 2010 9:02PM
Thumbs Up

Hopefully the "schools" who teach at Melville will help to enforce the rules and teach them to their students.

There are some real randoms down there, but not too bad from my occasional visits. Crowd seems to keep their kites out of trees and generally help each other launch and land (at the water's edge is best).

Not that much English spoken there this time of year, but that is not an excuse not to learn and obey the local "rules." Melville Beach has been hard fought for and it would be a real shame if we had to go through the whole crap again because of some people not paying attention and being team players.

Remember, if the river goes, we lose one of the best teaching places in Perth and the hoards will invade Leighton, Woodies, and god forbid Brighton.

And pick up some kn garbage.

dusta
WA, 2940 posts
8 Dec 2010 11:08AM
Thumbs Up

gruezi said...

Hopefully the "schools" who teach at Melville will help to enforce the rules and teach them to their students.

SOS instructor never told me jack about the yellow markers or any local rules at melville

markonz
VIC, 68 posts
10 Dec 2010 1:53AM
Thumbs Up

okay I may sound like a bit of a dick saying this but... what is it about the river thats ment to be soo good for learning?? I still havent been down there so don't quite know what all the fuss is about?? I learnt in the ocean and thought it would be safer if anything?? less to get dragged into and heaps of room to launch and body drag etc... Have I been missing out on something great all these years??

dusta
WA, 2940 posts
10 Dec 2010 9:52AM
Thumbs Up

shallow . I guess for someone learning maybe being able to feel the bottom while they are learning is reassuring ?

dbabicwa
WA, 805 posts
10 Dec 2010 11:47AM
Thumbs Up

markonz said...

okay I may sound like a bit of a dick saying this but... what is it about the river thats ment to be soo good for learning??

The problem for me is even to hop on a board in waves, flipping over to any times. In a sec the board is 3-4m from me, this is just not happening on flat water. Lost my board like that.

Also, I would rather have my kite on a tree than dragged and submerged and etc. with the powered kite on the ocean (don't ask) looping violently.

markonz
VIC, 68 posts
11 Dec 2010 1:01AM
Thumbs Up

well I won't give up an oppurtunity to hit some flat water cause I need to practice back rolls so mite have to come check out your spot in the weekend!! so um.... how exactly do you get there??

markonz
VIC, 68 posts
13 Dec 2010 2:05AM
Thumbs Up

shizmo said...

http://www.waksa.org.au/LocationGuide/MelvilleBeach/tabid/173/Default.aspx

Was having good sesh there before wind vanished and kites fell out of water.

Nearly confident enough to hit the wide open ocean

Thanks bro, will be hitting that up when im back from my NZ kite trip :) your kite fell out of the water???

Misha76
WA, 7 posts
13 Dec 2010 1:27PM
Thumbs Up

I may be ignorant...but I actually learnt in the ocean and started learning kiting down the beach by myself (after 3 lessons) for several months before venturing to the river for a looksy - I had my fair share of hairy experiences too which accelerated my learning curve and of what may happen out there in ocean. I found the river fun but a little boring and a bit congested. For those who are saying they lack confidence to not venture into the ocean yet - stretch your comfort zones a little and give it a go next time. I feel its safer, more space, no power lines, trees or houses to come unstuck against. Just make sure you can swim, and go in a seabreeze - your stuff will always get blown back down the beach, if a few kms, if you need to abandon.
mish

shizmo
WA, 17 posts
15 Dec 2010 12:00AM
Thumbs Up

markonz said...

shizmo said...

http://www.waksa.org.au/LocationGuide/MelvilleBeach/tabid/173/Default.aspx

Was having good sesh there before wind vanished and kites fell out of water.

Nearly confident enough to hit the wide open ocean

Thanks bro, will be hitting that up when im back from my NZ kite trip :) your kite fell out of the water???

Ohh Yeah I have one of those 2012 prototypes that actually go under water and use the currents... So as soon as it falls out of the water into the sky All power is gone :P

And Mish i agree with what your saying, I think the first time i went out after lessons i had a little hairy experience at the beach and the lack of experience and deep water gave me a bit of a fright... But now I am at that point where as long as I make sure there is wind I feel pretty safe no matter where I am so i can imagine the wide ocean will be hell of a lot better than what Ive been doing these last few weeks.

Face my mini phobia head on. Melville beach also sabotaged my kite last week learnt my lesson to make sure landing area for kite is clear, as i Flipped it to pack up a razor sharp stick happened to be sticking up and sliced my leading edge :*(

bingles
WA, 363 posts
14 Jan 2011 7:25PM
Thumbs Up

So what do you do when you have a friendly word to someone (aussie) about walking back with their kite over the road - directly in front of the residents house who is against kiters the most and they basically tell you to shove it? "8 years i been comin here" he says - and kiting right the way into the beach. He isnt a waksa member, has obviously teached 6 of his mates to kite(unqualified instructor) - who were all there and shared a lack of interest in the rules also. (HACKS) sorry, clearing my throat. I pay alot of money to live in applecross so i can enjoy Melville whenever conditions are good- kiting, sailing, swimming, SUP'n and letting dog swim too. Take one of those things away and my dream spot isnt such a dream come true anymore. Im not going to post this on the main forum but i would like some advice (non violent) as to what course to take. i have taken some photos and i know his name. Im almost at the point where metro kiting just isnt worth it anymore.

ApatheticEnd
WA, 995 posts
14 Jan 2011 8:11PM
Thumbs Up

I suppose there isn't much else you can do. You try to do the right thing to keep the spot open, explain it nicely, explain why, and that's all you can do. Unfortunetly, living in a free world means that sometimes people are free to be complete dickheads.

If they can't see that problem with riding right up to the beach in an onshore wind, or walking wiht their kites over the road in a spot with dodgy wind, I don't think you're going to get through. I think it's mostly people with the attitude that they don't want to be told what to do by someone else. If there were signage with the local rules then at least you can just point out the sign. Seems silly I know but I think it would help these situations.

It sucks and it's frustrating but doing the right thing usually is.

bingles
WA, 363 posts
14 Jan 2011 9:02PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Aptheticend - i wish it were different.

ApatheticEnd
WA, 995 posts
14 Jan 2011 10:02PM
Thumbs Up

I know signage is expensive and you've got to get approvals and such. But, if WAKSA were to say throw together some pamphlets on the local rules at Melville we could hand them out. Layout and printing isn't really something I know anything about. I know it would cost money and time from volunteers just to produce but I'd happily spend a few afternoons handing them out to help protect access the kite spot closest to my house and my only weekday after work option.

Anybody else have any ideas?

dusta
WA, 2940 posts
15 Jan 2011 8:10AM
Thumbs Up

ApatheticEnd said...

Anybody else have any ideas?

i've given up , esp thurs with that gusty wind there were idiots coming right up to the shore, esp with that mega high tide .

ApatheticEnd
WA, 995 posts
15 Jan 2011 8:54AM
Thumbs Up

That king tide was crazy eh?

dusta
WA, 2940 posts
15 Jan 2011 2:00PM
Thumbs Up

ApatheticEnd said...

That king tide was crazy eh?

i've never seen a tide like that where there was not one single piece of sand dry . even south perth it was well high against the seawall

Nick7r
WA, 64 posts
19 Jan 2011 3:58PM
Thumbs Up

Should they ban kiting at the river what will the infringement for kiting there?

I know WAKSA aren't police but is there an authority they could work with (they may already be doing this) to do random spot checks and if people are being dicks give them a ticket or something?

If infringements or some kind are handed out word will quickly spread, should reduce this kinda redneck behavior.

bene313
WA, 1347 posts
20 Jan 2011 8:52AM
Thumbs Up

bingles said...

So what do you do when you have a friendly word to someone (aussie) about walking back with their kite over the road - directly in front of the residents house who is against kiters the most and they basically tell you to shove it? "8 years i been comin here" he says - and kiting right the way into the beach.

Why, if he's been kiting for 8 years, does he need to walk upwind along the shoreline? Tacking upwind is so easy at Melville.

It's a tough situation. My gut feeling is that the spot will come under scrutiny in the near future as a result of an accident(s) or near misses resulting from people flying kites over the road (either through kiting all the way to the beach or walking the shoreline).

Hopefully the pamphlets and signage will help.

dbabicwa
WA, 805 posts
20 Jan 2011 11:22AM
Thumbs Up

ApatheticEnd said...

If there were signage with the local rules then at least you can just point out the sign. Seems silly I know but I think it would help these situations.

There is a huge sign on the Pelican Pt. - no one reads it, even if they do, no one cares...With pamphlets will be the same.

Waste of money...Only when you hurt someones pocket will do the trick. And hurt hard.

I almost got slapped and insulted by the same "8 years i been comin here" attitude guy.

Will keep my mouth shut in the future.

gruezi
WA, 3464 posts
20 Jan 2011 9:58PM
Thumbs Up

If there is one bit of advice to blowthroughs it would be to listen to and use local knowledge...otherwise risk getting eaten......just like at Woodies, there are monster jelly fish that will suck you in through their nose.

I am hiding out on the river these days, not kiting or doing much of anything because I blew out my back.....big cry. Tues. night softball great line triple run did it....this sucks, you do something good for the team and you pay a dreadful price (we lost and there was no one on base).

So what does a injured kite surfer do when stuffed........take pictures. You all think you got great shots of your selves..............I've got some good ones of others..........the river is always good for a laugh............not.

One sad gruezi signing out because no more softball.........but hey kiting is ok, silly pussy sport and where it should be, because ain't about the team. Team sports are just so much better, even if as lame as ball. Real men are on teams, kite in teams and look out for each other. So many kiters are soooooooooo self absorbed that it makes me sick.......................and makes me sad.

One good thing today was the free riding kiter who retrieved a board and dragged in a struggling kiter who had gear failure...........you were my hero today The rest of the lot of competent kitesurfers (many instructors among them) who just ignored the whole scene of a kiter in trouble..............make me sick.

Oh yea......we did have a run away kite at Melville today and the other heros were the wind surfers and kiters at Peli.............you guys were tops too.

bingles
WA, 363 posts
21 Jan 2011 7:42AM
Thumbs Up

Ive had the full range of responses now, i cant wait to tell someone about the incident down ay Leighton Tues evening. I will not divulge this over the net, but ive had enough. My gear is staying in its bag for a while now.

Ive flown to tassie. Me and dog got a kombi, and we are going surfing.

Nick7r
WA, 64 posts
21 Jan 2011 3:22PM
Thumbs Up

saw a guy yesterday, turning right on the beach.

Got to cocky crashed and the kite wrapped around a parked car. It stoped traffic and a few walkers.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing   Western Australia

"Melville Waters" started by AirSic