Forums > Kitesurfing   Western Australia

Perth to Exmouth early April

Created by howesy > 9 months ago, 7 Feb 2014
howesy
VIC, 18 posts
7 Feb 2014 8:28PM
Thumbs Up

Hi folks

Tried the search function but can't quite find what I want... so apologies if already covered here...

Visiting WA (from Melb) early April with mainly tourism in mind (family in tow) but the kiting looks too good not to bring my kit. Driving from Perth to Exmouth over 10 days or so.

Will there still be wind around? Searching online it seems that the Perth winds start to dwindle by late March. How about Gero, Shark Bay, Gnaraloo etc? New-ish to the sport so looking for flat water really.

Thanks for any help & advice

Kakkerlak
WA, 174 posts
8 Feb 2014 9:11AM
Thumbs Up

Early April - you've missed the season, rather bring surfing, diving and fishing gear.

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
8 Feb 2014 12:33PM
Thumbs Up

A bit late , but you do get a few days here and there here in the midwest

touch107fm
WA, 77 posts
8 Feb 2014 7:56PM
Thumbs Up

I did the same trip last year around the end of April start of May.

Its was blowing a gale pretty much every day.

I would be bringing my gear for sure.

howesy
VIC, 18 posts
10 Feb 2014 10:37AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks everyone for your helpful comments. Of course it will blow if I leave my gear at home - think I'll add some extra luggage to my flight.

Any spots not to miss? I'm not yet experienced enough to deal with significant surf - looking for flat(ish) water to play on my twintip. I appreciate many will think I'm missing the point, but haven't tried riding anything directional yet!

Rusta
WA, 31 posts
10 Feb 2014 8:57AM
Thumbs Up

Sandy bay in Exmouth is flat water,that would be your best bet. Great snorkeling for the family,and yes it will still be windy up there.

timmybuddhadude
WA, 738 posts
21 Feb 2014 9:49PM
Thumbs Up

Top spot..phenomenal

diamond2001
WA, 436 posts
22 Feb 2014 1:58AM
Thumbs Up

Im heading up in early may.There seems to be alot of easterlies arround the pilbra coast!

timmybuddhadude
WA, 738 posts
22 Feb 2014 10:45AM
Thumbs Up

You'll be super lucky to get any days in exm area within ten days whereas snorkelling etc will be daily&when u do go to sandy bay take spare valves and things..theres nothing worse than missing out on the two days SW there(someone correct me if i am wrong because the heat starts to peel your valves..unless u have a brand new kite of course..it generally kicks in in oct. Put it in anyway(11up)
May ..you will love the humpies mantas etc as u probably know..and kiteing over shovel nose rays and white tips is daeemn cool fun
perhaps hire a boat for yr fam and do some wakeboarding.there are a couple of shops for parts like wake pulleys
and easterlies are not what u want around exxy! ..for the best spots such as sandy/graveyards west side .
u can tackle town beach in the gulf for easterlies etc..relatively flat...&u'll probably cruise over a manta
.& perhaps shark bay has mutiwind spots..but cant give any advice on that except for i read on stonefish possibilities

Have a great holiday !!!

howesy
VIC, 18 posts
9 Apr 2014 4:56PM
Thumbs Up

Just got back, and damned glad to have packed kites - as if the amazing snorkeling and wildlife weren't enough, we clocked fabulous sessions at Coronation Beach, Little Lagoon and a couple of the Cape Range beaches with no other kites in the sky. Nothing short of paradise Thanks all again for the advice, hope to head back some day

diamond2001
WA, 436 posts
9 Apr 2014 7:27PM
Thumbs Up

Ive been up around newman a few years back in late april visiting a friend and karratha too.The wind was predominantly easterly ,but strong.Im going around the pilbra coast in the first 2weeks of may.Ive heard the easterlies crank!

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing   Western Australia

"Perth to Exmouth early April" started by howesy