Forums > Kitesurfing   Western Australia

SA crew coming

Created by pepeman > 9 months ago, 25 May 2015
pepeman
SA, 114 posts
25 May 2015 4:20PM
Thumbs Up

G'day WA crew.
6 SA crew are coming over on 14th to 21st November :)
Don't worry we don't want any secret spot info.
We are thinking North to outer North Beaches.
Even as far as Mindarie as we have found a beach front house there for rent.
Just checking if kiting is acceptable/legal at Mindarie?
We will of course kite at Hillarys Pinnaroo Pt. & Mullaloo.
Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thank you.

LostDog
WA, 445 posts
25 May 2015 3:03PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
pepeman said..
G'day WA crew.
Thank you.

Hook up with the crew at Quinns Rocks.
Just be mindful of large boats, they tend to ride over kite boarders up that way.

LostDog
WA, 445 posts
25 May 2015 3:06PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
pepeman said..
G'day WA crew.
Thank you.

Coming all this way to kite the city beaches? Mate, move north - get away from the masses.
Grab a handful of darts and throw them blindfolded at the map, then follow them - it's all good!

Gazuki
WA, 1363 posts
25 May 2015 3:08PM
Thumbs Up

Just my 2 cents but if I was coming all the way from SA for a weeks kiting I wouldn't waste it in Perth metro, especially Mindarie/ Pinnaroo etc. All those spots are bumpy mush. Plus there is nothing else there, hour to the city or a half decent pub.

Personally I would head straight to Margret River/ Augusta 2.5hr south of Perth. Awesome flat water and some amazing wave kiting all with half hour. Plus there should be a few euro/touro's to try your luck.

Peace out!

dusta
WA, 2940 posts
25 May 2015 3:32PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Gazuki said..

Just my 2 cents but if I was coming all the way from SA for a weeks kiting I wouldn't waste it in Perth metro, especially Mindarie/ Pinnaroo etc. All those spots are bumpy mush. Plus there is nothing else there, hour to the city or a half decent pub.

Personally I would head straight to Margret River/ Augusta 2.5hr south of Perth. Awesome flat water and some amazing wave kiting all with half hour. Plus there should be a few euro/touro's to try your luck.

Peace out!

november time i would be heading north not south . I would look at cervantes (hangover bay) , dongara , gero and further north

GarryA
WA, 264 posts
25 May 2015 10:56PM
Thumbs Up

Cool... Have to kite lancilan,

geordieboy
WA, 224 posts
26 May 2015 5:45AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
GarryA said..
Cool... Have to kite lancilan,

gizz a yell ill come up

Chris6791
WA, 3271 posts
26 May 2015 9:18AM
Thumbs Up

Lancelin is only an hour north from Mindarie, Wedge Island another half hour. head south an hour and you'll still be stuck in traffic, I know which way I would be going.

pepeman
SA, 114 posts
26 May 2015 4:44PM
Thumbs Up

Great feedback guys !
I hear ya Gazuki and ur totally right but sounds like the other guys say North because of early season.
Might have to do Margret River next time in mid season.
Far North away from the masses sounds good.
Much appreciated.
Pete.

LostDog
WA, 445 posts
26 May 2015 4:31PM
Thumbs Up

Unless you need to be in Perth for a wedding or some other gig, you should head straight through. Straight to Exmouth if it was me...

king of the point
WA, 1836 posts
26 May 2015 9:13PM
Thumbs Up

........what SA to WA metro beaches.

you may as well stay home at Brighton Glenelg Henley and Semaphore

What are you boys upto,

sounds sus ..........special delivery , yous are reminding me of the Bali 9

What ever rocks your boat

Perth is not a bad city if you love traffic , there is no Hindley street but give Northbridge a nudge you may be able to of load there.

Kings Park got good views / prefer Colonel Light look out / at least you can ride big ice blocks down the grass to the entrance of the Adelaide oval

Rotto / lano / Gero and anywhere in between for a days kiting would be cool

GarryA
WA, 264 posts
26 May 2015 10:23PM
Thumbs Up

No worries

pepeman
SA, 114 posts
28 May 2015 9:52AM
Thumbs Up

Exmouth is way too far.
Geraldton is too far.
Lancelin is do-able. So is this how far u hav to go to get away from the masses.
And what are the conditions like at Lancelin ie nice wave.
Just to let u know our busiest beach (Largs) on the busiest day could still handle another 100 kites with ease :)
Good old quiet Adelaide but we don't get " The Doctor" which is what we're coming for.
Pete.

MDSXR6T
WA, 1019 posts
28 May 2015 9:26AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
pepeman said...
Lancelin is do-able. So is this how far u hav to go to get away from the masses.

Anywhere between Mindarie Marina and Lancelin you wont encounter crowds. 8-10 kiters out was a crowded afternoon last summer.

There are no secret spots, the beaches have easy and safe access and i believe one more of the estates is opening up really good beach access for summer. Just not many kiters obviously live or kite up here. However the trade off is that you're kiting in ****ty choppy conditions.

Lancelin is 45min-1hr away and Hangover Bay is about 1.5-2hrs. My wife loves it there only once have we seen other people on the beach.

We might not have all the stuff the city or freo does but we do have restaurants, pubs and shops close by. Mindarie Marina has 2 pubs (Indie is better), a dome, Ocean Keys us 5min away etc

Weta
WA, 891 posts
28 May 2015 9:28AM
Thumbs Up

There's no guarantee the doctor will be firing In Perth in November, every season is different..........Maybe if the El Nino happens you might get lucky.

You are better off heading further North to get a better chance of good wind at that time of year.

dusta
WA, 2940 posts
28 May 2015 2:12PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
pepeman said..
Exmouth is way too far.
Geraldton is too far.
And what are the conditions like at Lancelin ie nice wave.
Just to let u know our busiest beach (Largs) on the busiest day could still handle another 100 kites with ease :)
Good old quiet Adelaide but we don't get " The Doctor" which is what we're coming for.
Pete.

gero is a 4 hour drive . If that is too far then toughen up and drive the 2 hours to hangover bay or just over an hour to lancelin

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
28 May 2015 4:13PM
Thumbs Up

Regards the Midwest, it'll well and truly be firing at this time, midweek during the day you'll have the 20klm beach at Dongara to yourself, late arvo you'll get joined by the locals, all 3to 4 of us, believe me a 4 hr ride is worth the conditions, as the saying goes you can lead a horse to water, you know the rest

burnsy11
WA, 122 posts
28 May 2015 5:09PM
Thumbs Up

What dusta said - worth going to hangover bay & even better up at dongara - both epic spots - Lancelin is overated

pepeman
SA, 114 posts
28 May 2015 9:06PM
Thumbs Up

Thanx again guys, I'm thinkin Lancelin.
Great looking sandy point/spit on Google Earth with a few waves.
Nice little town with everything you need.
And far enough North to be windy early in the season.

marno
WA, 218 posts
28 May 2015 8:23PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
pepeman said...

Hit up the old pub on the beach, best pub in WA in my opinion...

dusta
WA, 2940 posts
28 May 2015 11:09PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
pepeman said..

if you are going to lancelin then drive another 45 minutes to hangover bay . Much better than lancelin

Stormboy
SA, 86 posts
29 May 2015 8:06AM
Thumbs Up

Go to hangover bay pepe what's more aptly named for 5-6 bloke's In a week off??
Don't tellem bout nhaven!

pepeman
SA, 114 posts
29 May 2015 5:05PM
Thumbs Up

Jurien Bay looks amazing with the island and the turquoise water.
Is this what you WA folk call Hangover Bay ?

Gazuki
WA, 1363 posts
29 May 2015 4:35PM
Thumbs Up

No Hangover bay is just before Cervantes.

I think the guys are right, base yourself on Lancelin, nice and central, good waves, good pub for the down time.

I know is a while away but PM when you guys get here as I'm 2hrs north of Lancelin and I'm happy to come down and play tour guide, show you some good spots in between.

pepeman
SA, 114 posts
30 May 2015 11:52AM
Thumbs Up

Sounds like a plan Gazuki.
U da man !
Ur not really gonna eat us with those big teeth r ya ;)

Chris6791
WA, 3271 posts
30 May 2015 10:29AM
Thumbs Up

are you planning on staying in the Mindarie area and doing daily road trips or could you look at staying further north? If you're not tied to Perth (and assuming you don't have access to camping gear for a week) I'd look to finding accommodation in Lancelin, Dongara or Geraldton instead. Dongara would be my choice, plenty of spots around there you can kite without needing a 4wd and shooting up to Gero for a session on Pt Moore or Corronations is easily do-able in an afternoon.

pepeman
SA, 114 posts
30 May 2015 12:18PM
Thumbs Up

Will definitely stay at least as far north as Lancelin, after what I've picked up on this thread so far thanx.
At this stage I'm still thinkn Gero could be just a day trip, as we don't have to go that far for some good spots.
Will check out Dongara.

copey
SA, 4 posts
30 May 2015 3:42PM
Thumbs Up

haha classic!

MDSXR6T
WA, 1019 posts
30 May 2015 2:13PM
Thumbs Up

Lancelin would make a good base. Wedge is close, hangover bay is an hr away, you can go to the pinnacles (hangover bay), Perths northern suburbs are 45min away and heaps of little explored places along Indian Ocean drive.

copey
SA, 4 posts
30 May 2015 3:50PM
Thumbs Up

Looks like you've got it in hand Pep. I'm still not out of the race, at this stage I'm actually looking good for a start. Going to be awesome hanging out with the lads in the Doctors waiting room.

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
30 May 2015 7:27PM
Thumbs Up

Yo pepe, have you a wife or girlfriend travelling with you, I may be wrong but they generally stop you going places you should go,

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing   Western Australia

"SA crew coming" started by pepeman