Forums > Kitesurfing   Western Australia

Travelling to Perth in December

Created by Ukdan85 > 9 months ago, 25 Nov 2015
Ukdan85
2 posts
25 Nov 2015 5:12AM
Thumbs Up

Hey everyone, I'm lucky enough to be leaving the cold UK water behind and heading to Perth for December.

Keen to get a better understanding of spots around Perth and take any general advice on conditions/wind directions etc

I'm bringing 12 and 9 along with a TT and will be 10 mins away from the pond (Safety Bay) although i've heard this is pretty busy during summer months?! I'm not overly fussed by flat water/freestyle and prefer to have some surf to play in so any recommended spots that offer this would be ace. I heard Woodies is another popular spot just north that works on a number of directions?

I'll also be spending a bit of time further south and at Preston Beach, Can't find much on the net about kiting there though?

We'll have access to a car so getting around wont be a problem. Later in the month we'll be driving up to coral bay so would be great to hear if theres any spots to check out on the way

Cheers and hopefully see you on the water!

Dan

LostDog
WA, 445 posts
25 Nov 2015 9:29AM
Thumbs Up

Mate, there is sooo.. much.

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
25 Nov 2015 8:22PM
Thumbs Up

Unsure on your weight dan, but unless your a big bloke it's worth bringing a smaller kite
7/10 is a common quiver for tt riders in Midwest wa, at 100kg you'd of been lit on a 5 today
If you like unspoilt, pristine , quiet beaches with dependable strong winds then the Midwest is the go, we've 1000s of klms of great coastline
For a true Aussie break you need to leave the big smoke behind, enjoy

Chris6791
WA, 3271 posts
25 Nov 2015 8:48PM
Thumbs Up

Yup, if your smallest is a 9 you might spend a few sessions on the beach wishing you had something smaller, especially if you road trip north out of Perth.

AndyCUK
5 posts
27 Nov 2015 6:55AM
Thumbs Up

Dan

I am heading that way too from the UK. still deliberating on what to take, but seeing the responses here, I am thinking in the 7-10m range.

I am out there 6-30 December

Andy

Wazzy
5 posts
27 Nov 2015 7:24AM
Thumbs Up

We arrive on Sunday Cauncy!

You gave me similar much appreciated advice previously.

We will be heading up in your direction from Monday. Still reluctant to leave my session saving Zephyr but the windguru forecast looks good. I read a few threads that the Seabreeze forum forecast is more reliable?

Anyway can't wait

Lots of great places to visit on the way up if the wind does not turn up.

cheers

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
27 Nov 2015 7:43PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Wazzy said...

We will be heading up in your direction from Monday. Still reluctant to leave my session saving Zephyr but the windguru forecast looks good. I read a few threads that the Seabreeze forum forecast is more reliable?

Anyway can't wait

cheers

Looking at the forcast make sure your covered for some very strong conditions, call in Dongara for an after kite coldy, some cracking spots on your travels

Ukdan85
2 posts
28 Nov 2015 3:15AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the replies everyone

I'm 80kg and quite happy riding powered up on my 9m between 25-30knts. Unfortunately I don't have a 7 at the moment so will just see how I get on, from my understanding its more of a seabreeze south of perth which picks up mid afternoon most days?

Andy - almost identical to my trip, we fly out on the 5th and fly back on the 28th. PM me if you're about and fancy a session

Dan

Wazzy
5 posts
28 Nov 2015 4:51AM
Thumbs Up

Hey, sorry to piggy back on your thread Dan.

Just one more

Thanks Cauncy again, cold one sounds good.

Boardies or wetsuit? As my surfer mate has told me the waters very cold but obviously the air temp is in 30's.

That's it promise.

Cheers Rob

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
28 Nov 2015 6:39AM
Thumbs Up

Waters around 24, I generally kite with a spring 2mm or thermalite rashie top and boardies, water temps IMO seem fine all year , the chill factor is from the wind,
If your going to be on the water for long periods the sun is the killer

m00chy
WA, 77 posts
28 Nov 2015 9:10AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Wazzy said..

Anyway can't wait

cheers

In regards to the wind not turning up - the only way you wont be kiting until your legs are falling off at that time of year/place is if there was a nuclear holocaust, or a break in the space/time continuum meaning that WA was a spanish speaking republic.

You won't be needing a low wind kite to get your session count up. Put your chips down on howling winds and pack small.

Your comment on windguru is correct, it doesn't take in thermals very well at all and locals use the forecast on this website, also willy weather is popular.

Wazzy
5 posts
28 Nov 2015 11:58AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks again.

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
28 Nov 2015 12:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
m00chy said...
Wazzy said..

Anyway can't wait

cheers

In regards to the wind not turning up - the only way you wont be kiting until your legs are falling off at that time of year/place is if there was a nuclear holocaust, or a break in the space/time continuum meaning that WA was a spanish speaking republic.

You won't be needing a low wind kite to get your session count up. Put your chips down on howling winds and pack small.

Your comment on windguru is correct, it doesn't take in thermals very well at all and locals use the forecast on this website, also willy weather is popular.

I use windguru all the time, I find sb over reacting and wind guru more reserved, buoy weather is well trusted up here,

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing   Western Australia

"Travelling to Perth in December" started by Ukdan85