Forums > Sailing General

What did you do to your sailing boat today ?

Created by Boatin > 9 months ago, 12 Jun 2013
SandS
VIC, 5904 posts
30 Oct 2018 8:43PM
Thumbs Up

S/A in pic #1 did you yell starboard to that yacht sailing across your bow !

SandS
VIC, 5904 posts
30 Oct 2018 8:44PM
Thumbs Up

hey Cisco ! electrics going in . must be getting close ? sailing at xmas ?

southace
SA, 4758 posts
30 Oct 2018 8:23PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SandS said..
S/A in pic #1 did you yell starboard to that yacht sailing across your bow !

Don't you worry I will have navionics , AIS, and forward facing fish eye camera and Netflix up on the big screen when the Perkins is running!

southace
SA, 4758 posts
30 Oct 2018 8:45PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SandS said..

He's got two Months to wire them electrics and have a re-launch party if that's going to happen.

woko
NSW, 1514 posts
30 Oct 2018 9:26PM
Thumbs Up

That's a very neat job SA, please tell me that you painted behind the telly ?

southace
SA, 4758 posts
30 Oct 2018 9:15PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
woko said..
That's a very neat job SA, please tell me that you painted behind the telly ?

I did but I wondered why .. Had to shut down the 240 v for a bit just to do the paint. I can top coat the lot with out loss of tv now though!

Seebreasy73
QLD, 334 posts
30 Oct 2018 9:07PM
Thumbs Up

out with the carpet, in with the vinyl

cisco
QLD, 12311 posts
31 Oct 2018 12:34AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SandS said..

It is going quite spectacularly. You should see the maze of wiring left at the end of each day but I am gradually whittling it down.

The $25 LED strip lights from Jaycar are awesome. They are mounted for indirect lighting.

Yes, Xmas on the water is the plan.

If the house does not sell beforehand I should make it.

cisco
QLD, 12311 posts
31 Oct 2018 12:39AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..
He's got two Months to wire them electrics and have a re-launch party if that's going to happen.

As Sirgeo used to say when he was feeding the chooks "Don't you worry about that."

SandS
VIC, 5904 posts
31 Oct 2018 7:35PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cisco said..

SandS said..

It is going quite spectacularly. You should see the maze of wiring left at the end of each day but I am gradually whittling it down.

The $25 LED strip lights from Jaycar are awesome. They are mounted for indirect lighting.

Yes, Xmas on the water is the plan.

If the house does not sell beforehand I should make it.

dont sell the house , take it of the market , win . finish yacht , win ...........thats a win win sitoooation there !!!!!!!

southace
SA, 4758 posts
31 Oct 2018 8:11PM
Thumbs Up

I'm close to getting a before and after pics of my latest refurb , the forward cabin door will be going in soon when/if I see the shipwright again and the door latch seems expensive at $300 bucks but I will concur!

cisco
QLD, 12311 posts
31 Oct 2018 10:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SandS said..
dont sell the house , take it of the market , win . finish yacht , win ...........thats a win win sitoooation there !!!!!!!

I am following the first rule of real estate and that is "Only sell if you can replace with equivalent or better!!"

"Better" for us is to sell the 5 bedder in Bundaberg at max price achievable and replace with a 2 bedder unit in Mooloolaba or north Brisbane. It is our primary residence and therefore gains tax free. That would give us a bit more freedom and free up some cash. Will still have a place in Bundy to live if we choose.

Finishing the yacht is No. 1 priority on which I am spending at least 4 hours daily. I am being very meticulous with her as the Lotus 9.2 is a very roomy and liveable yacht while being a very lively yacht on the water if you do not overload it.

My concentration is prioritsed to sea worthiness, navigation tech, communications, light, sound, cold beer and creature comforts, in that order.

Before and after pics will soon follow.

woko
NSW, 1514 posts
1 Nov 2018 8:02PM
Thumbs Up

Bent on a new mainsil, lazy bag and headsail wow what a major difference on all points of sail, especially to windward

Not enough wind to to get the main to fill properly but still made hansome time

MorningBird
NSW, 2644 posts
4 Nov 2018 1:46PM
Thumbs Up

After 14 weeks away I finally got down to Morning Bird last Monday. 15-20 litres of mainly rain water in the bilge, not too bad considering the weeks of heavy rain Sydney has had. It didn't quite get enough to turn the auto bilge pump on, another litre or two would have done it.

I removed the 50cm of corroded exhaust pipe between the muffler and exhaust hose. This job was last done 9 years ago and access is very restricted so I needed a little help getting it out.

Got a new section of stainless pipe made up and fitted it this morning. A second or two cranking and away the little Sole diesel went. Ran her for a 5-10 minutes on the mooring including a couple in reverse. No leaks so slipped the mooring and went for a 10 minute drive.

No leaks, nothing untoward in any of the systems so MB is complete again, although I would want to run her for a few hours on the engine before I would give a final sign off as as seaworthy.

She is on the slip on Wednesday for an insurance survey and anti foul.

A pity I don't have a Lord Howe crew.

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2492 posts
7 Nov 2018 8:51AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Morningbird,
I hope you can find crew mate. Have you tried Sailconnect? Our club has just got onto it, and it seems like its geared toward matching crew to boats? I'm sorry I cant give you a more detailed overview, we've only just installed it ourselves.
Local yacht club any good for an assist? Doesn't matter if you're a member or not, the could possibly put the word out?
Love to see the S&S do another trip, we need another video!
Once you've added your boat details, you can add a private event "Lord Howe", or you can join the event if its already put up by the relevant yacht club. Go searching crew in your local area and see if you can get some local talent maybe?

Jolene
WA, 1554 posts
8 Nov 2018 7:51AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MorningBird said..
After 14 weeks away I finally got down to Morning Bird last Monday. 15-20 litres of mainly rain water in the bilge, not too bad considering the weeks of heavy rain Sydney has had. It didn't quite get enough to turn the auto bilge pump on, another litre or two would have done it.

!5-20 litres of water,,,, That's heaps,, it would drive me insane.

MorningBird
NSW, 2644 posts
8 Nov 2018 1:31PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Jolene said..

MorningBird said..

!5-20 litres of water,,,, That's heaps,, it would drive me insane.

It was a lot and more than I expected. Light rain doesn't get through but when it is heavy and consistent the leaks seem to open up.
I am told that Sydney had a lot of consistent heavy rain, 3 or more multi day sessions of it, so the small leaks would have built up over 14 weeks.
I also found when I got the leaking exhaust out I found it was draining the muffler and exhaust into the bilge after I was off the boat, quite a few litres I expect.
I like a dry bilge and now the exhaust is fixed it is dry. I will also reseal or renew the forard hatch which is the main leak into the bilge.

MorningBird
NSW, 2644 posts
8 Nov 2018 1:37PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
shaggybaxter said..
Hi Morningbird,
I hope you can find crew mate. Have you tried Sailconnect? Our club has just got onto it, and it seems like its geared toward matching crew to boats? I'm sorry I cant give you a more detailed overview, we've only just installed it ourselves.
Local yacht club any good for an assist? Doesn't matter if you're a member or not, the could possibly put the word out?
Love to see the S&S do another trip, we need another video!
Once you've added your boat details, you can add a private event "Lord Howe", or you can join the event if its already put up by the relevant yacht club. Go searching crew in your local area and see if you can get some local talent maybe?

Thank you for your wishes. I have made the mistake of taking crew who I didn't know or hadn't sailed with on previous passages. It is two weeks on the oggin in 34ft of fibreglass with some very challenging sailing so you need to have confidence in each other and get on.
I would need to leave next Tuesday so time has run out to find someone and get a shakedown sail in for this year's BBQ.
I will book a mooring for Lord Howe for next year's BBQ.
I would like to go up to Broughton Islands before Christmas. It would be a good test sail if anybody wanted to do Lord Howe next year.
Contact me if interested.

SandS
VIC, 5904 posts
8 Nov 2018 5:54PM
Thumbs Up

if its a keel stepped mast , good luck with having a dry bilge .

Jolene
WA, 1554 posts
9 Nov 2018 6:52AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SandS said..

Nothing that a bit of horse hair and Stockholm Tar wouldn't fix

MorningBird
NSW, 2644 posts
9 Nov 2018 1:30PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SandS said..

Deck stepped with consequent highly over engineered rig. The rain comes in via the front hatch handles and seal and a bit around the cockpit. I'll redo the hatch handles, last done a few years ago.
It is only a problem when you can't get to the boat for extended periods.

SandS
VIC, 5904 posts
9 Nov 2018 6:56PM
Thumbs Up

Morning bird , good set up ...... keel stepped , drives me mad i,m on to it after every rain event .

SandS
VIC, 5904 posts
9 Nov 2018 6:59PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Jolene said..

SandS said..

Nothing that a bit of horse hair and Stockholm Tar wouldn't fix

Nah , it sucks in \ wicks through all the halyard exit holes ect .....

southace
SA, 4758 posts
9 Nov 2018 7:23PM
Thumbs Up

Ready for a Sand down and top coats!

rumblefish
TAS, 824 posts
9 Nov 2018 9:08PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SandS said..
Morning bird , good set up ...... keel stepped , drives me mad i,m on to it after every rain event .

Need a separate bilge area that the mast drain into and a low mount auto bilge pump.
Have seen boats that never have more than 1/2 a litre in the bilge with keel stepped

cisco
QLD, 12311 posts
9 Nov 2018 10:01PM
Thumbs Up

A couple of stainless Bandit straps and clips and a square foot or so of hypalon and a smear or two of sealant and a keel stepped mast will rarely leak through the deck hole.

Rain coming through halyard slots and entering the bilge of a timber yacht could be detrimental.

Ohh!! What did I do to my sailing boat today??

I bought a 10 ft Garmin 4 pin sounder transducer extension cable, took it to the sail boat and ran it through the holes to make sure it was long enough to reach between head unit and the end of the txr cable.

It is!!! Yippee!!

southace
SA, 4758 posts
10 Nov 2018 4:36PM
Thumbs Up

Day one at anchor out the front of town,
The dust plumes heading towards the swimmers on the beach and the local yacht club changed there course although a few grommets came and said hello. 4 square meters coated with high build epoxy undercoat complete and she's back shipshape in case a strong northery kicks in. Time for a scotch fillet on the BBQ and cold beers! I love boats!

Ramona
NSW, 7404 posts
11 Nov 2018 8:54AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..
Day one at anchor out the front of town,
The dust plumes heading towards the swimmers on the beach and the local yacht club changed there course although a few grommets came and said hello. 4 square meters coated with high build epoxy undercoat complete and she's back shipshape in case a strong northery kicks in. Time for a scotch fillet on the BBQ and cold beers! I love boats!

Top spot. Good to see a yacht anchored there. Used to be a row of flash yachts moored right across that section of the bay. Looks barren now they are all in the marina.
Looking at the end of the traveller in the photos you have a piece of stainless to help stray rope to pass over and not catch on the traveller end. This is a really annoying problem I have and I will do something similar but attach the angled bit of SS to the outboard bolt on the camcleat so it has no chance of fouling.

sirgallivant
NSW, 1529 posts
14 Nov 2018 8:55AM
Thumbs Up

I sold it.

So, MB, how about that Broughton Island trip and next year's LH?

cisco
QLD, 12311 posts
14 Nov 2018 9:32AM
Thumbs Up

Really!!! I thought you and that little Adams were joined at the hip.

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"What did you do to your sailing boat today ?" started by Boatin