Forums > Stand Up Paddle Foiling

Axis ART 999

Created by Youngbreezy > 9 months ago, 8 Sep 2021
frenchfoiler
498 posts
24 Sep 2021 12:49AM
Thumbs Up

I tried the 999 on my prone.
Like everybody says, the speed stall is low which is a good point, definetly not too technical, I don't know about the top speed since I didn't have a gps watch but it felt good.

Very nice glide, this is a true glider for sure which makes me think it is gonna be really good for dw.

Unfortunatly I didn't have the right tail wing, I only had the 460 which is way too big for surfing so hard to tell how it performs on wave.
I think it shorld be good with a crazyshort fus and a 400 or 380 tail wing.

Piros
QLD, 6879 posts
24 Sep 2021 9:55AM
Thumbs Up

I'm actually finding the 999 has too much lift for me at 91 kg . Looking forward to the 899 & 799 . I was out in really strong 25 + knots on the ding and the acceleration and lift was mental , it was too much . On the prone when you get to punchy shoulder high waves it's so lifty on the take off making it a handful , survive that and you are away . I've tried a bunch of tails and the new 420 & 380 are the pick . You really need the turned up tips for more control. The 460 planes up and makes you skate. I'm on the short fuse for both ding & prone.

tightlines
WA, 3467 posts
24 Sep 2021 9:21AM
Thumbs Up

Yep Piros it does have an amazing amount of lift but still seems to handle the speed fairly well.
I haven't really had a chance to try it out surfing but winged some good swell.
I've copied below a bit of info that I posted elsewhere last night.

Had a great day on the water today using the 999 short fuse 380 rear and 860 carbon mast.
Wing wave session first up, at a reef break North of Perth.
Then I came back to Perth and did a short Downwinder in cranking conditions (22 gusting yo 28 knots)Trigg to Sorrento.
Yep this wing is super fast but using it with the 860 carbon mast in good size waves is going to take a bit of getting used too.
There is a little bit of flex from the mast and also a little bit from the wing and at times it was a bit scary, mainly because of the speed generated and how lively the wing feels it really responds to a bit of heel or toe pressure on the roll axis.
It is great but I need to learn to be a little more subtle with my movements.

I got some of my fastest ever 1km splits (25.9kph = 2:19/km) with out even really trying.
I had the wing flagged for long periods of time, glides for days, so good.

Piros
QLD, 6879 posts
24 Sep 2021 6:04PM
Thumbs Up

I did a great 14km DW run today on the 999 with Guy from SurfFx he was on one too. We were both pushing pretty hard dead DW . He was on a 6m I was on a 5m . Guy topped out at 34kph I was 32 kph. The wing was really forgiving on breaches but pretty tender at times . Although I was super comfortable with just one hand on the boom for really long runs . I did get a little bit of back stalling climbing over the one in front under powered , needed the wing to pull me over . Only a handful of crashes , including a snapped leggie and a frantic 50m swim to catch the board. 20 years of water polo came in very handy. Conditions were very good and really did expect more constant higher speeds. I suspect the 980 HPS maybe quicker , will try that on Sunday on next big blow for a comparison.

frenchfoiler
498 posts
24 Sep 2021 7:43PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Piros said..
I'm actually finding the 999 has too much lift for me at 91 kg . Looking forward to the 899 & 799 . I was out in really strong 25 + knots on the ding and the acceleration and lift was mental , it was too much . On the prone when you get to punchy shoulder high waves it's so lifty on the take off making it a handful , survive that and you are away . I've tried a bunch of tails and the new 420 & 380 are the pick . You really need the turned up tips for more control. The 460 planes up and makes you skate. I'm on the short fuse for both ding & prone.

I agree, too lifty for me on waves.

A smaller version should be really good for surfing, especially combined with crazy short fus and 380.

Icebergmansion
WA, 69 posts
25 Sep 2021 4:12AM
Thumbs Up

Got one to try monday and also trying the HPS830. So far loving the HPS930, interested in the 899 whenever that comes around

Piros
QLD, 6879 posts
25 Sep 2021 12:45PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Icebergmansion said..
Got one to try monday and also trying the HPS830. So far loving the HPS930, interested in the 899 whenever that comes around

Let us know how they in comparison. Will you prone the 830 .

bigmtn
51 posts
28 Sep 2021 5:19AM
Thumbs Up

winged mine with a kane tail(no shims), ultrashort, in very strong winds and some waves around head high on the north shore this past weekend, I'm only about 75kgm and never felt like there was too much lift. In fact it handled the bigger drops and higher speeds much better than I had expected. But yes I am also excited to try the smaller sizes for in the waves.

stevet73
NSW, 239 posts
1 Oct 2021 1:08PM
Thumbs Up

Any suggestions for ART 999 tail? To complement/differentiate from the 390 I have already (that arches down). 380HA or 400HA suggested (Piros?). Using for prone but plan to wing on it. 80kg's. Competent prone/SUP foiler.

I took the 999 winging once (with 390 tail) but went back to my 1000HA as Im only just out of kook faze on the wing ding and still need maximum stability as I 'ease' myself into waves.

I'd sway towards easier pumping than looseness on the tail.........many thanks!

Piros
QLD, 6879 posts
1 Oct 2021 1:43PM
Thumbs Up

I was most comfortable on the 999 with the new 420 with turned up tips . The old 390 anhedral is not a good match . The 400 skated for me on the prone. I've been dinging with the new 380 as well and felt great. If I was you I'd stick to the 420 for now until you settle into the 999 , it's not a jump on and ride wing , it still takes a bit to get used to. Guy at FX has been using the old 340 tail and going incredibly well but again I still recommend a bit more stability in the rear end until you get used to the 999.

stevet73
NSW, 239 posts
1 Oct 2021 3:00PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks piros. Always lucky to have your input so freely available. You are indeed a gentleman

Bazzacuda
NSW, 23 posts
1 Oct 2021 8:11PM
Thumbs Up

The 370 rear works really well from the feedback around here, people who have the 999 have been amazed by it and are not sharing it around just yet.

stevet73
NSW, 239 posts
2 Oct 2021 7:40AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Bazzacuda. Ideally I'd like the tail to serve me well for prone and winging....maybe the old 'can't have your cake and eat it'?

I wonder if the 380HA is a happy medium between Piros's 420 and your 370 suggestion.....

Supnorte
262 posts
24 Oct 2021 1:56AM
Thumbs Up

No wind or waves to big to try the ART999 for the first time. No problem, there's always a dock: www.facebook.com/axisfoilsportugal/videos/595600128231792

Alysum
NSW, 1024 posts
24 Oct 2021 11:03PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
stevet73 said..
Thanks Bazzacuda. Ideally I'd like the tail to serve me well for prone and winging....maybe the old 'can't have your cake and eat it'?

I wonder if the 380HA is a happy medium between Piros's 420 and your 370 suggestion.....

There's some new surf stabilisers coming soon so you're best waiting a bit
Some shops already have them.

DrSeanR
QLD, 14 posts
30 Nov 2021 5:02PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
stevet73 said..
Any suggestions for ART 999 tail? To complement/differentiate from the 390 I have already (that arches down). 380HA or 400HA suggested (Piros?). Using for prone but plan to wing on it. 80kg's. Competent prone/SUP foiler.

I took the 999 winging once (with 390 tail) but went back to my 1000HA as Im only just out of kook faze on the wing ding and still need maximum stability as I 'ease' myself into waves.

Just got the new Axis Progressive 375 Tail. Was on the 340 previously with the 999... and the 375 feels like a completely different machine...turns amazingly and fast. I am winging it and SUP foiling. Loved it from the first moment. The progressive tails are super thin - so increases speed, which makes pumping even more efficient. I don't find any issues with stability - the 999 seems to provide enough already... For reference, I am 85kg

frenchfoiler
498 posts
30 Nov 2021 3:15PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DrSeanR said..

stevet73 said..

Just got the new Axis Progressive 375 Tail. Was on the 340 previously with the 999... and the 375 feels like a completely different machine...turns amazingly and fast. I am winging it and SUP foiling. Loved it from the first moment. The progressive tails are super thin - so increases speed, which makes pumping even more efficient. I don't find any issues with stability - the 999 seems to provide enough already... For reference, I am 85kg

Which mast do you use ?

DrSeanR
QLD, 14 posts
1 Dec 2021 7:59AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
frenchfoiler said..

DrSeanR said..

stevet73 said..

Which mast do you use ?

I have both the 75cm and 90cm Aluminium masts... I mostly use the 90cm for wing foiling... I also like the 90cm for SUP foiling in larger waves as it give me more room for error when charging down the wave face. 75cm I use in low tide... it feels a bit more responsive than the 90cm...

timmcg89
WA, 24 posts
7 Dec 2021 6:34PM
Thumbs Up

any feedback on the 799/899 for surfing? Apart from Oskars youtube clip. It's been a week now!

Piros
QLD, 6879 posts
7 Dec 2021 11:03PM
Thumbs Up

There is heaps on them on the Facebook Axis Foil Riders page

Icebergmansion
WA, 69 posts
10 Dec 2021 3:37AM
Thumbs Up

That 999 is quite the wing, proned in it knee high waves with a 460 tail. Definitely too locked in with that tail but the pump and stall speed was insane, I could pump almost unlimited, much better pump than the HPS series, turning wasn't nearly as good but the tail was wrong for that. Impressed and excited to get on the 899, could have easily surfed a smaller ART even in the tiny waves.

AnyBoard
NSW, 235 posts
10 Dec 2021 6:10PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Piros said..
There is heaps on them on the Facebook Axis Foil Riders page

Hi Rob,
As someone who is interested where this is all going for prone surfing i am interested in your thoughts. Recently you had come to the conclusion it was much more practical to just go back to the 890 if my memory is correct. Give up some speed and glide for a little easier pump and carve. Now you have ridden the 899 How do you now reconcile this HA vs mid aspect foils for the competent prone foiler looking for the best of all the attributes, pump, glide and turnability?
Thanks

Icebergmansion
WA, 69 posts
19 Jan 2022 4:20AM
Thumbs Up

Advanced foiler, 75kg. All demo'd with 75cm 16mm mast, kane tail, ultrashort fuse.
I've been doing quite a bit of Axis wing-swapping lately prone and winging and here are some quick one-liner reviews:
PNG1150: best low end but terrible turning and huge/slow.
PNG1010: 2nd best low end but bad turning and slow (relative to the high-performance wings). I only use this wing for super light wind winging now.
ART999: Incredible glide and pump, doesn't seem as fast as HPS, turning is not as good. Very interested in trying the 899. This could be a great all-around wing for the majority of people.
HPS930: This is my go-to for everything, fast, great turner, great low-end, great-high end. Prone/wing/kite it does it all well.
BSC890: Slow and stable, excellent turning, decent pump but slow compared to the ART and HPS which you get addicted to.
HPS830: Just had a session this morning in thigh high waves, fantastic! Fast and turns superb. Lots of triples and totally fine pumping although the glide is somewhat poor as expected for it's tiny size. In waist high plus surf this is the wing.

Also rode the Takuma Kujira 1210 a few days ago in some great waist high groundswell: very very smooth with great turn/glide/pump, I can see why everyone loves these things! Stock tail so it was a bit tame but the smaller kujira with a good tail could be incredible.

Probably going to get a go on the new Armstrong HA wings this weekend and will update

frenchfoiler
498 posts
4 Feb 2022 7:56AM
Thumbs Up

I I tried the 1099 art in sup foil dw.
I I really love the Glide of this wing, amazing.
First I tried with 16mm mast and it fel good but there was something wrong.
Then I switched to the 19mm mast it felt so much better, way more control, super stable at hight speed.
On light dw, I use a shim on the rear wing, it gives extra glide and it is more locked in, more drive.
On bigger days, I don't shim, it goes faster, it feels a bit to loose but not too bad.

Compared to Armstrong ha I found Axis art way more user friendly, the stall speed is super low.

ninjatuna
197 posts
4 Feb 2022 12:15PM
Thumbs Up

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle Foiling

"Axis ART 999" started by Youngbreezy