Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Starby Element 2019

Created by Slab > 9 months ago, 22 Jun 2019
Slab
1061 posts
22 Jun 2019 1:58PM
Thumbs Up

Surprised they still sell it as I never see anyone posting about buying one...ever! But I bought one. The marketing blurb really aims it at ladies or newbies who are lighter wanting a board for flat water and surf.....not me at all

i looked at it and thought ...longboard with rocker and good pintail.....medium volume.....ideal for good waves and weaker swells. Good for a 90 kg plus surfer with okay skills. She's looking grand and can't wait to get her wet.

Double concave hull, slight nose concave and pretty light at under 10 kg. 9,8 x 30 at 146 litres....

773 posts
22 Jun 2019 4:11PM
Thumbs Up

Nice looking board
Starboard do spend the time to test and refine their boards.

Slab
1061 posts
22 Jun 2019 5:37PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
515 said..
Nice looking board
Starboard do spend the time to test and refine their boards.

It's had a few tweaks over the years I gather.....funny as when it was first brought out it was marketed as a surf SUP for those who like the bigger waves....as well as the smaller. How things change Marketing BS.

dkeating
VIC, 253 posts
24 Jun 2019 11:03PM
Thumbs Up

Great board I've got 2010 and it still catches waves so easy especially big fat slow waves where everyone else is struggling. I've changed my smaller boards heaps but never found any thing better in a larger board. Although just bought a smik.
As you say they seem to be rare now.
Nice choice

Slab
1061 posts
24 Jun 2019 10:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
dkeating said..
Great board I've got 2010 and it still catches waves so easy especially big fat slow waves where everyone else is struggling. I've changed my smaller boards heaps but never found any thing better in a larger board. Although just bought a smik.
As you say they seem to be rare now.
Nice choice

SMIK was my first choice but they cost so much more than the Starby Starlite construction .....which is already under 10 kg so sometimes the pocket has to make the decision.

johndg
WA, 206 posts
25 Jun 2019 2:55PM
Thumbs Up

Great board choice. I had one of the first models and I wish I still had it.
A friend has had 3 models over time been happy with them all.

Slab
1061 posts
26 Jun 2019 2:58AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
johndg said..
Great board choice. I had one of the first models and I wish I still had it.
A friend has had 3 models over time been happy with them all.

Three of them...must have liked it!

Goodbye
QLD, 115 posts
29 Jun 2019 3:27PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Slab,

I've got one.......... exactly the same as yours! Love it.

Surprised they don't get a bigger rap!

Slab
1061 posts
30 Jun 2019 4:51AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
The Gambler said..
Hey Slab,

Yeah, guess they are not "new" designs so folks will think they are out dated and things have moved on.

Jacksboards
VIC, 181 posts
1 Jul 2019 9:35AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Slab said..

The Gambler said..
Hey Slab,

Yeah, guess they are not "new" designs so folks will think they are out dated and things have moved on.

This forum constantly influences paddlers of having a new design.

Old model boards of good construction will have their place back in the used market place similar to what we have seen with Surfboards over the last 10 years.
Under the old holiday house Surfboard finds can bring unsurpassed joy to a surfing enthusiast or a decent amount of play money to the non surfer.

Old Paddle Surf Hawaii SUP's have a fan base it seems with crew taking a punt buying old models sight unseen and finding them in crappy condition upon delivery.

This board is potentially a future sort after model.

I find the SUP market humorous at times and have fallen for some of the hype at times as well.

In reality I rarely question my boards design in the waves, reflecting on a good surf session I will question my approach to a section or my timing on an attempted or completed manoeuvre.

'How could have I surfed that section better ?' is a better space to think about.

Unfortunately retail therapy does feel good and may even lift your performance psychologically. However I bet some of the readers on this forum have some regret of selling boards to buy the new or hyped model and found that they actually can't surf the new purchase as well as the board they on sold.

dkeating
VIC, 253 posts
1 Jul 2019 7:16PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah reminds me of golf , you buy some newer better sticks and still play like crap.
Had a great session at bells last week on t the 2010 element. 2ft choppy waves no one else there but it was the board for the day.
Thought about selling it now I've got the smik hipster long board but a different board so I think it still deserves a place on the quiver.

colas
4986 posts
1 Jul 2019 8:23PM
Thumbs Up

I am fortunate enough to be able to keep old boards if I want. For now I have only kept 3 of them:

- A 8'10" Gerry Lopez full carbon, a rarity I offered myself for my 50th birthday. Not the best board I had (slows down during turns), but quite decent, light (7.6kg) and - although made by Riviera - well built. I keep it for the sentimental value, plus it is great for the daughters when they visit.

- a 7'3" Gong fatal prototype, in the vectornet construction (no sandwich). I love the "fishnet" looks, the impressive shape, and the smooth flex on the wave compared to carbon boards. I seldom use it (The modern Gong shapes have more "pop"), but I keep it for its looks.

- a 9'1" "cruiser" surfboard. I know I likely will never prone surf again, so I sold all my prone surfboards and get Gong shape me a custom one, carbon sandwich, in my favorite shape, as the "last surfboard I will ever own". But I must say I may trade it for a 3-stringer board, I have always been in love with the looks of a sleek shape on a clear 3 stringered blank. I keep it because I cannot see myself without a surfboard (and cats) at home.

As cannot think of old boards that could be better than the modern ones on the water, but there are other reasons why you may want to keep them :-)

Slab
1061 posts
2 Jul 2019 12:50AM
Thumbs Up

I think some board designs are timeless....no frills, gimmicks but they just work. I've never bought a board with a way out design.

The only board I have bought partly due to hype or positive comments was the Starboard Allstar....didn't like it and sold it. I have kept my Jimmy Lewis M14 ...Classic shape. Also kept my JL Striker....a great board which is pretty old design wise.

The Starby Element has had a few tweaks over its lifetime ....but remained same for last two or three years and of course the construction has got better and lighter.

Shlogger
397 posts
3 Jul 2019 12:54AM
Thumbs Up

They took away the windsurf insert ;(

Goodbye
QLD, 115 posts
4 Jul 2019 3:34PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah, I've also been a sucker for hype and "newer and better" only to find it made little difference on the water.

always feels great buying them though......... I've even been called a "board junkie"

still, there's worse things to blow your hard earned on

Slab
1061 posts
4 Jul 2019 5:25PM
Thumbs Up

First outing on it yesterday...only small surf but it picks them up easy and turns very well for a bigger board. Probably doesn't need as much nose rocker but that will come in handy for winter swells. Anyone ride it as a single?

SRrat
WA, 240 posts
6 Jul 2019 8:00AM
Thumbs Up

My first sup was an older Element, still have it. My significant other uses it on flat water and I occasionally surf it. Good board does everything ok. Much preferred it set up as a 2+1, in an almost thruster configuration. Ie Smaller centre fin 6" nearly all the way back. Big single on the flat. Definitely a keeper!

Slab
1061 posts
9 Jul 2019 3:02AM
Thumbs Up

Had it out in better sized waves.....fun! Easy and predictable to surf ....turns very well for a long board. Doesn't feel ultra fast but controlled. Handles drops well....plenty rocker. Gets over waves very well....plenty stable but not daft stable. Gets in early. I think as surf SUPs go it is better in chest high and above. It goes fine in smaller surf but I'd take out my Striker then as it has a flat rocker.

As a one board surf quiver i reckon it's about as good as I could get for a 90kg surfer who prefers longer boards.

But who wants a one board quiver

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Starby Element 2019" started by Slab