Forums > Windsurfing Foiling

2021 Wizard 130 first look

Created by CoreAS > 9 months ago, 16 Sep 2020
CoreAS
869 posts
16 Sep 2020 11:03PM
Thumbs Up

Always the best feeling when you pull in your driveway and Mr. FedEx leaves you big box with Slingshot all over it

Lots of foot strap positions to play around with, I may go double back but closer in or I may go out on the rails? time will tell.
I normally use a 41" spread from foil mast leading edge to center of mast base, but think I will experiment with a shorter distance on windier days.

I know the W114 is a super sweet looking board and a lot of foilers will order that size (I will wait to see you guys ripping before I decided to get one?) but for inland lakes with very gusty winds (and at my weight 90kg) I need that extra bit of width still.

1. I like how much shorter the W130 is and everything is scaled back further, so that should turn and carve really well.

2. I LOVE the Wizard 125 and had no problem with the tuttle box etc, but I also Wing foil and so I am also very used to twin tracks and the potential it has over tuttle box.
Having the ability to literally adjust the whole foil forward or back 1cm at a time is a major benefit, it really is amazing when you need that extra bit of pop in flukey conditions.
You can leave your footstraps and mast base alone, no need to switch over the fuse etc, just use the twin tracks.

3. Board weights with straps
2018 W125 = 22.3 lbs/10.12 kg
2021 W130 = 19.0 lbs/8.62 kg

4. I have always used Dakine straps but these slingshot straps are super comfy (4 straps came with board) and I like how there is extra padding over the screw head, I have bruised a barefoot once or twice going upwind and hitting the screw.

5. All 4 nuts and bolts are in the twin tracks ready (order some spare though, you don't want to rock up to the beach with 3 bolts)

6. Plenty of deck grip it seems, think the board finishing guy had a extra beer that day and gave it one extra dose, haha! The deck pads look awesome and comfy as per usual.

7. Sail range as stated in product brochure is 4.5 to 9.0, the biggest sail I will use is 5.8 with infinity wings 99, 84, 76 and Time Code 68.

OK all I need is some wind, as soon as I can I will post video

WillyWind
470 posts
17 Sep 2020 1:00AM
Thumbs Up

Why do you think the mast track does not go as further forward in the 130? Is it because you can trim the set up with the foil tracks?

Windbot
471 posts
17 Sep 2020 1:06AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
WillyWind said..
Why do you think the mast track does not go as further forward in the 130? Is it because you can trim the set up with the foil tracks?

Personally I've never used anything other than the back half of the track on the 2018. I think I would get more use out of the placement of the track on the 2021 with all else being equal.

thedoor
2191 posts
17 Sep 2020 2:14AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
WillyWind said..

I think people are finding that by having the mastrack further back means you canmove your front foot strap forward, which gives you more leverage over the foil, when you shift your body weight around.

But the track is quite long so you can still put the mast base forward if you desire.

WhiteofHeart
762 posts
17 Sep 2020 4:17AM
Thumbs Up

Mastbase back allows you to sail with the sail more upright, for me it somehow brings a lot more control over the lift with small sails, even with a relatively (very) front foot powered setup wtith very retreated and narrow strap positions (front screw back foot lined up with the front of the foil mast, spread 36cm between front and back screw). I run the mastbase 80cm from the front of the foilmast. And thats all with a relatively front foot powered freeride foil.

CoreAS
869 posts
17 Sep 2020 7:13AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
WillyWind said..

As WOH said, having the mast base further back will give you more direct feel, more sensitive to pressure differences
When I foiled a friends FS115 he had a very narrow spread (not sure of the exact measurement?) I felt like I was right on top of everything, the foil popped up in hardly any wind and it does give you a more upright stance (something I'll have to adjust to).
Looks like the Footstraps , mast base and foil is all geared towards the back. With the pedal stool base all the way back (#2 on the track) to the center of current mast base is 38" (96cm)

Te Hau
479 posts
17 Sep 2020 12:21PM
Thumbs Up

What is the board width and length?

CoreAS
869 posts
17 Sep 2020 12:37PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Te Hau said..
What is the board width and length?

airsail
QLD, 1240 posts
20 Sep 2020 6:29AM
Thumbs Up

Interesting in this vid he mentions that the Tuttle box is now dead for windfoil, also makes the boards suitable for wingfoil as well. Will other manufacturers follow?

w100
WA, 233 posts
20 Sep 2020 6:39PM
Thumbs Up

Do you reckon the W130 would suit also "fast foils" and big sails to blast around? In other words, it may be used as "freeride/slalom" board? What's the o.f.o??

foilbrainz
31 posts
20 Sep 2020 11:24PM
Thumbs Up

Would be great if it did suit faster foils, especially if the outer footstraps are on the rail a bit.

thedoor
2191 posts
20 Sep 2020 11:24PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
w100 said..
Do you reckon the W130 would suit also "fast foils" and big sails to blast around? In other words, it may be used as "freeride/slalom" board? What's the o.f.o??

I used the w114 in this manner yesterday (5.7 and apollo 60) and I had a great time. I bought some used cam sails to do more of this type of thing in flat water.

The apollo is a medium fast wing, I plan on trying it with the warpspeed wing which is probably a bit faster.

I think the 114 is going to be "the size" for most dudes around 80kg. I rode it on three wings yesterday i99, i76 and apollo 60. One board for everything, flat water speed, swell riding, light wind and high wind.

Early comparison to the freestyle 115 (only one session on w114)

Freestyle 115 Pros: More compact geometry means it is more maneuverable making it a bit better in swell and also easier to handle a lifting foil.

Wizard 114 Pros: Gets onto the foil a bit easier, easier to gybe

CoreAS
869 posts
20 Sep 2020 11:53PM
Thumbs Up

Video shot over past coupe of days, the winds have been really light. Most foilers here using 8.2, big boards (86-88cm wide).

I am still playing with all the settings, so nothing set in stone just yet, its fun trying different combos and seeing what works.

Looking forward to a solid 10-20 day and using a 4.5 or 5.0 and cranking this board really through its paces!

dejavu
807 posts
21 Sep 2020 2:32AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
CoreAS said..
Video shot over past coupe of days, the winds have been really light. Most foilers here using 8.2, big boards (86-88cm wide).

I am still playing with all the settings, so nothing set in stone just yet, its fun trying different combos and seeing what works.

Looking forward to a solid 10-20 day and using a 4.5 or 5.0 and cranking this board really through its paces!

Thanks for the video. A couple of comments -- You have the foil mast right at the back of the track (or pretty close to the very back) and your back foot strap (on left side) is off centre (is there a particular reason for this (foot problem?). Also, you seem to have the sail's mast positioned about 1/2 in its track. If the i99 is at the back of the foil track where are you going to place the i76 (maybe position A on the fuse will work)?

dejavu
807 posts
21 Sep 2020 2:35AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
thedoor said..

w100 said..

I used the w114 in this manner yesterday (5.7 and apollo 60) and I had a great time. I bought some used cam sails to do more of this type of thing in flat water.

The apollo is a medium fast wing, I plan on trying it with the warpspeed wing which is probably a bit faster.

I think the 114 is going to be "the size" for most dudes around 80kg. I rode it on three wings yesterday i99, i76 and apollo 60. One board for everything, flat water speed, swell riding, light wind and high wind.

Freestyle 115 Pros: More compact geometry means it is more maneuverable making it a bit better in swell and also easier to handle a lifting foil.

I was wondering how long it would take you to have one of the new Wizards. Thanks for the feedback.

I'm hoping this board might end up being a really good cross over board for wind and wing foiling -- 114 litres and under 6 feet in length makes it very tempting, especially with those forward foot strap positions.

I have several Sailworks foil sails (twin cam) and three wind wings so I'm ready to go.

CoreAS
869 posts
21 Sep 2020 3:53AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
dejavu said..

CoreAS said..

Thanks for the video. A couple of comments -- You have the foil mast right at the back of the track (or pretty close to the very back) and your back foot strap (on left side) is off centre (is there a particular reason for this (foot problem?). Also, you seem to have the sail's mast positioned about 1/2 in its track. If the i99 is at the back of the foil track where are you going to place the i76 (maybe position A on the fuse will work)?

Still playing with the footstrap positions, the first day I went for center back strap and works great going downwind and carving but for pinching upwind its better to have a footstrap closer to the rail.

on the W125 I had a 41" mastbase to leading edge of foil mast spread, with the mast base in the center, and the foil in the back thats around 38-39".

Still early days of finalized set up, once I find the perfect mast base position, I can fine tune the foil for the i99 and i84 wings

CoreAS
869 posts
21 Sep 2020 4:05AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
thedoor said..

w100 said..

thedoor, I have only foiled the FS115 a coupe of times, it seemed to foil up very quick in little wind, and so the wizard 130 reminds me very much of the same direct pressure. I can gybe the W130 in literally no wind, amazing.

Once up and foiling the FS115 felt great, didn't really like gybing it very much though? The Wizard 130 gives me more deck space to drive it upwind in a pinch, and for my weight I have the float needed to get out to the windline, again I struggled with uphauling the FS115 when it was super light and couldn't relax until up on the foil.

The Wizard 114 looks an awesome board, and I may order one for high winds? but I generally switch to winging in 20+ so it would quite a narrow wind window that I would use it in.

thedoor
2191 posts
21 Sep 2020 4:52AM
Thumbs Up

The slingshot freestyle 115 is still my favorite foil board, but this wizard 114 is more versatile and a bit more user friendly. The new wizards are an improvement over the old wizards, which in my opinion, held the title for best windfoil board to date, In terms of learning and progressing in freeride foiling. Especially for a 2018 design (lots of good stuff out there now from many brands).

FYI on my w114 with mast track all the way back and front strap in the most forward WS holes, I had the i99(C) all the way forwards and the i76(B) about 5-6cm back from that.

CoreAS
869 posts
21 Sep 2020 10:38PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
thedoor said..
The slingshot freestyle 115 is still my favorite foil board, but this wizard 114 is more versatile and a bit more user friendly. The new wizards are an improvement over the old wizards, which in my opinion, held the title for best windfoil board to date, In terms of learning and progressing in freeride foiling. Especially for a 2018 design (lots of good stuff out there now from many brands).

FYI on my w114 with mast track all the way back and front strap in the most forward WS holes, I had the i99(C) all the way forwards and the i76(B) about 5-6cm back from that.

Out of curiosity with your mast base all the way back and the i99 all the way forward, what's the measurement spread from center of mast base to leading edge of foil mast?

thedoor
2191 posts
21 Sep 2020 11:34PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
CoreAS said..

thedoor said..

Out of curiosity with your mast base all the way back and the i99 all the way forward, what's the measurement spread from center of mast base to leading edge of foil mast?

79cm (31 in) between centre of mast track and front of foil mast for i99 in C.

Probably around 83-84cm for i76 in B.

CoreAS
869 posts
22 Sep 2020 4:39AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
thedoor said..

CoreAS said..

thedoor said..

79cm (31 in) between centre of mast track and front of foil mast for i99 in C.

Probably around 83-84cm for i76 in B.

Great info, cheers....and dayum that's a narrow spread, wow!

michaelpaf
90 posts
22 Sep 2020 8:05PM
Thumbs Up

Hi,
I'm struggling between 114 and 130.
Has anyone compared the 130, the wz125 and the 114 in light wind?

I want ti come out also in light wind but also good maniverabity and jump with the board.

Driving on a inland lake with gusty conditins and have round 90 kg.

How much earlier the 130 is popping up and how much later the 114 if you compare it i.e. with your 5,7 / 5,8 sail?

Thanks a very lot for sharing your experiences. I'm just quite good in pumping after 60 + x Sessions.

Foil is the i76 and have also the i84.

tswei99
94 posts
22 Sep 2020 11:05PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
CoreAS said..

Dean, thanks so much for sharing all the info. I am keen to hear more about the 130 and how it compares to the older 125 as well. In that video it looks like you are on a Naish wave sail of some kind , rigged very soft, pumping onto foil in less than 12 knots. Very impressive!!

As a heavier rider I am interested in what you think of uphaul capability of the 130 and if the extra 5 liters makes much difference over the 125. It might be somewhat negated by the narrower width.

thedoor
2191 posts
22 Sep 2020 11:43PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
michaelpaf said..
Hi,
I'm struggling between 114 and 130.
Has anyone compared the 130, the wz125 and the 114 in light wind?

I want ti come out also in light wind but also good maniverabity and jump with the board.

Driving on a inland lake with gusty conditins and have round 90 kg.

How much earlier the 130 is popping up and how much later the 114 if you compare it i.e. with your 5,7 / 5,8 sail?

Thanks a very lot for sharing your experiences. I'm just quite good in pumping after 60 + x Sessions.

Foil is the i76 and have also the i84.

I haven't tried the 130 and the 114. I am sure the 130 gets going a bit earlier than the 114. Just like the w125 got going a bit earlier than the W105, but that difference was mostly overcome by good pumping. But it looks to me that the 114 has the more inboard straps which I think increase maneuverability and ability to control the foil in gusts. I would be willing to trade a slight decrease in the low end for much better control and maneuverability. If anything you could add the i99 to the 114 and this would beat the low wind range of the w125/i84.

However, it looks like you are jumping on the old wizard 125, so I am pretty sure you could jump on the 130 too.

I don't have my w125 anymore but I believe the 114 will get going equally as well if not better for the following reasons: more compact geometry and being able to move the foil forward in the track to increase lift if needed, so I do not think you will loose any of the low end you currently have with your w125. If however, you really want to push the lightwind envelop I would add the i99 first before adding more volume.

FYI: I am only 75kg and I don't jump much.

michaelpaf
90 posts
22 Sep 2020 11:46PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
thedoor said..

w100 said..

Hey thedoor, would be grreat to hear more about the comparsion to the bigger boards.
As the 130 is 10cm shorter I guess it's also more compact. Would be really intersting what is the right decission.
Thanks a very lot for sharing ....
keep flying..

thedoor
2191 posts
23 Sep 2020 12:42AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
michaelpaf said..

thedoor said..

w100 said..

Hey thedoor, would be grreat to hear more about the comparsion to the bigger boards.
As the 130 is 10cm shorter I guess it's also more compact. Would be really intersting what is the right decission.
keep flying..

The compact geometry is basically how close you can put foil mast and sail mast together, more than how long the board is. This image may not be exactly to scale but you can see how the new wizard has the mast track further back. The foil track allows further adjustment too. I definitely think the w130 would be an upgrade over your w125 and probably the safest choice at 90kg

I think the added volume of a bigger board eg my levitator 150 or shredsled 143 is more about ease of non foiling sailing (eg uphauling and schlogging) than getting on the foil earlier. The wing area/lift is a more crucial factor in light wind foiling. This new w114/i99 definitely overlaps with my shredsled/i99 in terms of my light wind foiling needs.

Also, I just noticed that the w130 might has three front strap positions, so a full inboard strap option is available. Someone with one should confirm.

CoreAS
869 posts
23 Sep 2020 3:16AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
tswei99 said..

CoreAS said..

Dean, thanks so much for sharing all the info. I am keen to hear more about the 130 and how it compares to the older 125 as well. In that video it looks like you are on a Naish wave sail of some kind , rigged very soft, pumping onto foil in less than 12 knots. Very impressive!!

As a heavier rider I am interested in what you think of uphaul capability of the 130 and if the extra 5 liters makes much difference over the 125. It might be somewhat negated by the narrower width.

Hi tswei99

Thank you for the feedback much appreciated.

Having spent 2 years on the wizard 125 and in my eyes the greatest free-foiling board especially for the heavier rider, I was really looking forward to testing the wizard 130.

Most of our local foiling is inland on very gusty lakes, we typically choose a foiling, windsurfing, winging board with 15-20 more liters than a board you would use at the coast. Roughly 50% of my foiling I use the infinity 84 wing, 30% the infinity 99 and the last 20% a combo of the infinity 76 and Time Code 68.

We have extreme wind lines depending on wind direction, for example a NW wind the wind line is 100-150 meters away, I struggle to schlog a small board in 5 knots of less that far, too much energy lost trying to stay afloat.

If I foiled at the coast with more of a consistent wind, and used the i76 over 50% of the time, I would have chosen the wizard 114.

With regards to the rig I use, its a very well used (time for a new one) 2016 Naish Sprint 5.8 sail (with soft dacron panels and 5 battens).
I set the sail with as minimal downhaul as possible so it creates a super deep luff, just enough downhaul for the battens to flick around.

The 5.8 Sprint is generally the biggest sail I use at 90kg. I rig it on a 430 SDM Maui Sails Hard Top mast, it pumps so amazingly well, I have yet to test anything else like it?? It just seems to pump, flex and breathe perfectly.

The extra 5 liters is in the boards thickness and creates a bit more "Corkability", meaning you can stand with the front foot already in the strap and as the wind ripple increases you can lean much further back on the back foot, the board will then pop straight up onto the foil.
For uphauling I didn't really feel any difference except the W130 being shorter you will have to adjust your schlogging stance quicker.

As thedoor mentioned the mast tracks are further back and so we are now creating a much, much narrower spread than ever before.

I read last year that Baz the pro foil freestyler used a 35" mast base to foil measurement, but thedoor now has that beaten at 31-33".

It sounds like both the W130 and W114 have a much more direct feel, and you can get super dialed in with an amazing array of foot strap and foil positions for your personal taste. I still have more testing to do yet and looking forward to getting everything dialed in.

CoreAS
869 posts
23 Sep 2020 3:19AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
thedoor said..

michaelpaf said..

thedoor said..

w100 said..

keep flying..

The compact geometry is basically how close you can put foil mast and sail mast together, more than how long the board is. This image may not be exactly to scale but you can see how the new wizard has the mast track further back. The foil track allows further adjustment too. I definitely think the w130 would be an upgrade over your w125 and probably the safest choice at 90kg

I think the added volume of a bigger board eg my levitator 150 or shredsled 143 is more about ease of non foiling sailing (eg uphauling and schlogging) than getting on the foil earlier. The wing area/lift is a more crucial factor in light wind foiling. This new w114/i99 definitely overlaps with my shredsled/i99 in terms of my light wind foiling needs.

Also, I just noticed that the w130 might has three front strap positions, so a full inboard strap option is available. Someone with one should confirm.

The W130 has 2 x front foot strap positions (it doesn't have the third as that's for winging the 114 & 90) and 3 x rear foot strap positions,

thedoor
2191 posts
23 Sep 2020 3:32AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
CoreAS said..

thedoor said..

michaelpaf said..

thedoor said..

w100 said..

keep flying..

The W130 has 2 x front foot strap positions (it doesn't have the third as that's for winging the 114 & 90) and 3 x rear foot strap positions,

thanks for confirming that Dean. Do you think the inner front strap is closer to the centre line than the w125?

tswei99
94 posts
23 Sep 2020 6:33AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
CoreAS said..

tswei99 said..

CoreAS said..

Hi tswei99

Having spent 2 years on the wizard 125 and in my eyes the greatest free-foiling board especially for the heavier rider, I was really looking forward to testing the wizard 130.

Most of our local foiling is inland on very gusty lakes, we typically choose a foiling, windsurfing, winging board with 15-20 more liters than a board you would use at the coast. Roughly 50% of my foiling I use the infinity 84 wing, 30% the infinity 99 and the last 20% a combo of the infinity 76 and Time Code 68.

We have extreme wind lines depending on wind direction, for example a NW wind the wind line is 100-150 meters away, I struggle to schlog a small board in 5 knots of less that far, too much energy lost trying to stay afloat.

If I foiled at the coast with more of a consistent wind, and used the i76 over 50% of the time, I would have chosen the wizard 114.

With regards to the rig I use, its a very well used (time for a new one) 2016 Naish Sprint 5.8 sail (with soft dacron panels and 5 battens).
I set the sail with as minimal downhaul as possible so it creates a super deep luff, just enough downhaul for the battens to flick around.

The 5.8 Sprint is generally the biggest sail I use at 90kg. I rig it on a 430 SDM Maui Sails Hard Top mast, it pumps so amazingly well, I have yet to test anything else like it?? It just seems to pump, flex and breathe perfectly.

The extra 5 liters is in the boards thickness and creates a bit more "Corkability", meaning you can stand with the front foot already in the strap and as the wind ripple increases you can lean much further back on the back foot, the board will then pop straight up onto the foil.
For uphauling I didn't really feel any difference except the W130 being shorter you will have to adjust your schlogging stance quicker.

As thedoor mentioned the mast tracks are further back and so we are now creating a much, much narrower spread than ever before.

I read last year that Baz the pro foil freestyler used a 35" mast base to foil measurement, but thedoor now has that beaten at 31-33".

It sounds like both the W130 and W114 have a much more direct feel, and you can get super dialed in with an amazing array of foot strap and foil positions for your personal taste. I still have more testing to do yet and looking forward to getting everything dialed in.

Ahhhh...great information thanks. This is what stuck out to me as I want to carry the smallest rig and board possible:

"I set the sail with as minimal downhaul as possible so it creates a super deep luff, just enough downhaul for the battens to flick around.

The 5.8 Sprint is generally the biggest sail I use at 90kg. I rig it on a 430 SDM Maui Sails Hard Top mast, it pumps so amazingly well, I have yet to test anything else like it?? It just seems to pump, flex and breathe perfectly."

I find as one approaches 6.0 sq meters and beyond there are diminishing returns to larger sails and the key feature is to be able to pump the board onto foil. Bigger sails are higher power, but also higher drag so top speed is limited and beyond 6ish and definitely after 7.0 the sail starts to feel really big.

I've had some success rigging Sailworks Revos on soft masts with less tension so they are pumpable, but there is still enough tension so speed is still good.

Sorry if this is off-topic to the thread of Wizard 2021, but its on topic in the sense that Wizards are designed (and I think achieve) maximum freeride/freemove performance for smallest size and weight. Getting the right rig to match that is key. Would be an interesting new thread to see what others have done with rigging and masts to optimize this.

CoreAS
869 posts
23 Sep 2020 7:32AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
tswei99 said..

CoreAS said..

tswei99 said..

CoreAS said..

Hi tswei99

Ahhhh...great information thanks. This is what stuck out to me as I want to carry the smallest rig and board possible:

"I set the sail with as minimal downhaul as possible so it creates a super deep luff, just enough downhaul for the battens to flick around.

The 5.8 Sprint is generally the biggest sail I use at 90kg. I rig it on a 430 SDM Maui Sails Hard Top mast, it pumps so amazingly well, I have yet to test anything else like it?? It just seems to pump, flex and breathe perfectly."

I find as one approaches 6.0 sq meters and beyond there are diminishing returns to larger sails and the key feature is to be able to pump the board onto foil. Bigger sails are higher power, but also higher drag so top speed is limited and beyond 6ish and definitely after 7.0 the sail starts to feel really big.

I've had some success rigging Sailworks Revos on soft masts with less tension so they are pumpable, but there is still enough tension so speed is still good.

Sorry if this is off-topic to the thread of Wizard 2021, but its on topic in the sense that Wizards are designed (and I think achieve) maximum freeride/freemove performance for smallest size and weight. Getting the right rig to match that is key. Would be an interesting new thread to see what others have done with rigging and masts to optimize this.

At our local patch you have 2 different camps

Big sails, big board, big foil wings, sheet in and go! the other side of the dial...Small sails, pumping ability, foil efficiency, small boards and medium to large wings.

I completely agree with regards to big sails and all that drag and pressure its putting down on the board, its not for me.

Very little information on rigs for free-foiling, some brands have started to make higher aspect freeride foiling sails, but again they start to edge towards 7.5 and above, think that's why I "frankenstein" my rigs sometimes (even using older equipment) to tailor make the performance that I need. One of my fun rigs is a 1997 Sailworks Revo 5 batten wave sail, its really high aspect at 460 mast plus 12cm extension its perfect for foiling.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Foiling

"2021 Wizard 130 first look" started by CoreAS