Created by cammd > 9 months ago, 13 May 2019
Gestalt
QLD, 14168 posts
11 Oct 2019 10:04AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
KA360 said..

Gestalt said..
so is steve allen going to represent australia. he would have to be our most experienced with runs on the board.

Isn't he a Polesurfer ?

lol. hopefully he kept his aussie cit.

Paducah
2462 posts
11 Oct 2019 12:42PM
Thumbs Up

Farrah Hall who raced RS:X for US in 2012, campaigning to race it in '20, and participated in the trials
usawindsurfing.wordpress.com/2019/10/11/2024-olympic-windsurfing-sea-trials-good-spirit-great-community-great-gear-all-in-two-chapters-of-a-novel-like-blog/

windsufering
VIC, 1124 posts
11 Oct 2019 4:34PM
Thumbs Up

That's fantastic looking forward to 100 + fleets at national events

AUS 814
NSW, 452 posts
11 Oct 2019 6:22PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
windsufering said..

LOL , you have obviously not got any idea what you are talking about. none of the Olympic classes in Aus or overseas have big fleets. In our winter the sailing circuit revolves around Europe and in summer they head south to Aus for Sail Sydney and Melbourne. Maybe you just stick to LT forum and stay out of the fast lane

windsufering
VIC, 1124 posts
11 Oct 2019 6:40PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AUS 814 said..

windsufering said..

LOL , you have obviously not got any idea what you are talking about. none of the Olympic classes in Aus or overseas have big fleets. In our winter the sailing circuit revolves around Europe and in summer they head south to Aus for Sail Sydney and Melbourne. Maybe you just stick to LT forum and stay out of the fast lane

Sorry just going on the results of the Aust survey !

The Aust laser fleet is pretty big ?

AUS 814
NSW, 452 posts
11 Oct 2019 6:56PM
Thumbs Up

Maybe combining all three fleets , radial , full rig and 4.7

windsufering
VIC, 1124 posts
11 Oct 2019 7:03PM
Thumbs Up

how many do you expect at the nationals !
btw the slow lane is leading the windsurfer revival

WarpShuffle
15 posts
11 Oct 2019 4:24PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Chris 249 said..

Paducah said..

Chris 249 said..
Paducah, in Oz I think the "casual" or "leisure" use of RBs stopped before they got into the Olympics; they were pretty much only a racing class. But the numbers were definitely smaller at the tail end of the IMCO era than they were before the IMCO was selected, and the numbers today are larger than they were when the IMCO was in the Games. The latter part of the era when the IMCO was in the Olympics was the low point for Raceboarding.

Even in Lasers, many people in the "Olympic age" group dropped out when the class became Olympic because they knew they would be uncompetitive against the full timers. The class is now overwhelmingly made up of juniors, youth and Masters.

The page in the WF1 proposal that shows the number of Starboard foiling boards out there is a bit of a worry, because while foiling is great, if that's the future and there's only 260 such boards in the entire world, then our sport really has become pretty tiny.

I wouldn't be worried abouit the Starboard numbers. That's just one brand in an otherwise open field. If you totalled the number of race oriented boards and included larger brands like Fanatic, JP and smaller ones like FMX, Patrik, RRD, Exocet, etc, the number will be comfortably bigger. Not to mention how many top level foilers are using existing Formula boards.

The positive aspect of an Olympic foil board is that it will be the first time in 15 years that we'll have an Olympic board that one might actually want to freeride and not be absurdly expensive.

Yes, but even if that "comfortably bigger" number is say 5 times what SB has sold AND there are twice as many people on existing boards, it's still not really a major sailing class, or a big Olympic sport.

I had expected there'd be more and some people in the industry are saying that there is very strong demand for foiling, but on the other hand when I spent about 10 days at Lake Garda this European summer, it was apparent that there were normally only about 4-8 foilers out most of the time when the breeze blew. The other thing that struck me was the age of the slalom boards that most people were sailing, so it seems as if most Euros are not upgrading their windsurfing kit very often.

I would still reckon that the sailing characteristics and the extremely high standard of sailing is going to keep many people out of the class; in other foiling sailing classes you see good sailors on top quality gear get lapped in a two-lap race, and that turns many of them off. On the plus side, we may be able to pick up ex-Olympic gear fairly cheaply which could be fun.

I've also spent some time at Lake Garda, this summer (just under three weeks, in total) and agree with you. There are always flocks of RS:X -- both men and women -- out on the lake and usually only a handful of guys out on foils -- and most of those guys don't look like they're training to race. The number of proper slalom set-ups dwarfs the foilers.

On the other hand, I also watched footage of a European foil racing event on lake Silvaplana, Switzerland, and that was well populated and looked like absolute magic from both a sailing and a windsurfing perspective.

Watching that race, you could clearly see the potential for foiling windsurfers. The course covered the whole lake and included upwind sailing -- obviously. There was less pumping than one sees in a typical RS:X race but still a fair amount. Actual course sailing tactics were required, not just a killer lay-down gybe and tungsten balls.

Which makes me think that if you build it, they will come.

Few people will SERIOUSLY invest in race-level foiling gear and foiling training while foiling is still considered a fringe of the windsurfing world and even more so of the competitive windsurfing world. Those who have the motivation to do so probably already spend their time training for slalom or RS:X as their primary disciplines. For the average punter, foiling gear is EXPENSIVE and FRAGILE, the second-hand market is only just beginning to be established, and so they have no incentive to buy in to the competitive level -- it's not like the Laser class where someone can get an old boat for a crate of beer. (Sure, that will be soggy and soft and won't be competitive but it will put them in the fleet, along with those who ARE competitive, and that's the all-important first rung of the ladder.)

I, myself, look forward to the day when I'm sailing in those fleets. And I'm a punter -- I've been surfing for two sparse European seasons, can't carve through my gybes and have only just learned to water-start, this year. But I can see the future on the horizon and I know two things for certain: foiling is going to be a reality and I learn quickly.

I've stood on a board on less than 30 days, total, and I'm already one of the quickest across the water on my local lake (I think it's my stance!), quickest onto the plane when a gust (finally) hits, one of the quickest to tack, and at least planing into and surviving my gybes even if I'm not planing out of them, yet. I'm going back to Cape Town, hopefully soon, and will be back for the European summer, next year. I'll learn to gybe through sheer hard-headed stubbornness. Then I'll learn to foil. I've raced Lasers for years and so I already know a fair amount of the rest. Perhaps it takes me two more years to get race-ready. Perhaps five or ten, it doesn't matter -- the future is coming. (I won't ever be competitive but that's no problem: fighting someone for second-last is as much fun as fighting someone for first -- it's the fighting that counts.)

If anything should herald the coming of a foiling future, it should be the European love of them as evidenced at Silvaplana. There's a lot of inland water in Europe and a lot of it doesn't get 20kts more than twice a season and, then, it's probably snowing, cold-and-raining, or otherwise miserable. But a LOT of it gets at least 10kts thermal wind whenever the sun shines! Lowering the wind range (I think I heard a PWA sailor say they were aiming to race in 5, during a broadcast from Japan, this season. That's BONKERS!) would make windsurfing viable again. Foils make it cool and, unlike something like a moth, foiling windsurfing kit is relatively robust, accessible, usable and cheap. And transportable in a VW Caddy.

We'll never relive the 70s and 80s but racing on foils could bring about a Renaissance for windsurfing amongst us mere mortals who'll never be professionals, never be sponsored and never get to spend our lives travelling for wind. Races like those I saw on Silvaplana might spread to other foil-suitable inland waters -- most of which are already covered in displacement-mode dinghies proceeding sleepily around buoys whenever the weather isn't too awful -- and that would be magic.

Putting foiling windsurfers in the Olympics would increase the likelihood of that becoming a reality!

AUS 814
NSW, 452 posts
11 Oct 2019 7:40PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
windsufering said..

I'm not sure ?? How many , you asked the question

windsufering
VIC, 1124 posts
11 Oct 2019 10:17PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AUS 814 said..

windsufering said..

I'm not sure ?? How many , you asked the question

LOL
you have NFI either

and tell Paducah he has NFI because he seems to think the fleets are going to be large

The foil option they recommend is the cheapest one so why wouldn't it be the most popular foil class

Chris 249
NSW, 3232 posts
11 Oct 2019 10:28PM
Thumbs Up

WS, please tone it down! You and I will both defend the LT, but in this case no one is attacking it so we don't have to!

Chris 249
NSW, 3232 posts
11 Oct 2019 10:31PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
WarpShuffle said..

Chris 249 said..

Paducah said..

Chris 249 said..
Paducah, in Oz I think the "casual" or "leisure" use of RBs stopped before they got into the Olympics; they were pretty much only a racing class. But the numbers were definitely smaller at the tail end of the IMCO era than they were before the IMCO was selected, and the numbers today are larger than they were when the IMCO was in the Games. The latter part of the era when the IMCO was in the Olympics was the low point for Raceboarding.

Even in Lasers, many people in the "Olympic age" group dropped out when the class became Olympic because they knew they would be uncompetitive against the full timers. The class is now overwhelmingly made up of juniors, youth and Masters.

The page in the WF1 proposal that shows the number of Starboard foiling boards out there is a bit of a worry, because while foiling is great, if that's the future and there's only 260 such boards in the entire world, then our sport really has become pretty tiny.

I wouldn't be worried abouit the Starboard numbers. That's just one brand in an otherwise open field. If you totalled the number of race oriented boards and included larger brands like Fanatic, JP and smaller ones like FMX, Patrik, RRD, Exocet, etc, the number will be comfortably bigger. Not to mention how many top level foilers are using existing Formula boards.

The positive aspect of an Olympic foil board is that it will be the first time in 15 years that we'll have an Olympic board that one might actually want to freeride and not be absurdly expensive.

Yes, but even if that "comfortably bigger" number is say 5 times what SB has sold AND there are twice as many people on existing boards, it's still not really a major sailing class, or a big Olympic sport.

I had expected there'd be more and some people in the industry are saying that there is very strong demand for foiling, but on the other hand when I spent about 10 days at Lake Garda this European summer, it was apparent that there were normally only about 4-8 foilers out most of the time when the breeze blew. The other thing that struck me was the age of the slalom boards that most people were sailing, so it seems as if most Euros are not upgrading their windsurfing kit very often.

I would still reckon that the sailing characteristics and the extremely high standard of sailing is going to keep many people out of the class; in other foiling sailing classes you see good sailors on top quality gear get lapped in a two-lap race, and that turns many of them off. On the plus side, we may be able to pick up ex-Olympic gear fairly cheaply which could be fun.

I've also spent some time at Lake Garda, this summer (just under three weeks, in total) and agree with you. There are always flocks of RS:X -- both men and women -- out on the lake and usually only a handful of guys out on foils -- and most of those guys don't look like they're training to race. The number of proper slalom set-ups dwarfs the foilers.

On the other hand, I also watched footage of a European foil racing event on lake Silvaplana, Switzerland, and that was well populated and looked like absolute magic from both a sailing and a windsurfing perspective.

Watching that race, you could clearly see the potential for foiling windsurfers. The course covered the whole lake and included upwind sailing -- obviously. There was less pumping than one sees in a typical RS:X race but still a fair amount. Actual course sailing tactics were required, not just a killer lay-down gybe and tungsten balls.

Which makes me think that if you build it, they will come.

Few people will SERIOUSLY invest in race-level foiling gear and foiling training while foiling is still considered a fringe of the windsurfing world and even more so of the competitive windsurfing world. Those who have the motivation to do so probably already spend their time training for slalom or RS:X as their primary disciplines. For the average punter, foiling gear is EXPENSIVE and FRAGILE, the second-hand market is only just beginning to be established, and so they have no incentive to buy in to the competitive level -- it's not like the Laser class where someone can get an old boat for a crate of beer. (Sure, that will be soggy and soft and won't be competitive but it will put them in the fleet, along with those who ARE competitive, and that's the all-important first rung of the ladder.)

I, myself, look forward to the day when I'm sailing in those fleets. And I'm a punter -- I've been surfing for two sparse European seasons, can't carve through my gybes and have only just learned to water-start, this year. But I can see the future on the horizon and I know two things for certain: foiling is going to be a reality and I learn quickly.

I've stood on a board on less than 30 days, total, and I'm already one of the quickest across the water on my local lake (I think it's my stance!), quickest onto the plane when a gust (finally) hits, one of the quickest to tack, and at least planing into and surviving my gybes even if I'm not planing out of them, yet. I'm going back to Cape Town, hopefully soon, and will be back for the European summer, next year. I'll learn to gybe through sheer hard-headed stubbornness. Then I'll learn to foil. I've raced Lasers for years and so I already know a fair amount of the rest. Perhaps it takes me two more years to get race-ready. Perhaps five or ten, it doesn't matter -- the future is coming. (I won't ever be competitive but that's no problem: fighting someone for second-last is as much fun as fighting someone for first -- it's the fighting that counts.)

If anything should herald the coming of a foiling future, it should be the European love of them as evidenced at Silvaplana. There's a lot of inland water in Europe and a lot of it doesn't get 20kts more than twice a season and, then, it's probably snowing, cold-and-raining, or otherwise miserable. But a LOT of it gets at least 10kts thermal wind whenever the sun shines! Lowering the wind range (I think I heard a PWA sailor say they were aiming to race in 5, during a broadcast from Japan, this season. That's BONKERS!) would make windsurfing viable again. Foils make it cool and, unlike something like a moth, foiling windsurfing kit is relatively robust, accessible, usable and cheap. And transportable in a VW Caddy.

We'll never relive the 70s and 80s but racing on foils could bring about a Renaissance for windsurfing amongst us mere mortals who'll never be professionals, never be sponsored and never get to spend our lives travelling for wind. Races like those I saw on Silvaplana might spread to other foil-suitable inland waters -- most of which are already covered in displacement-mode dinghies proceeding sleepily around buoys whenever the weather isn't too awful -- and that would be magic.

Putting foiling windsurfers in the Olympics would increase the likelihood of that becoming a reality!

Yep, if foils open up light wind sailing (as they seem to do) then it would be great. I still think that the gap between the Olympians and the average racer will be enormous, and that will turn off the average racer which may actually harm foil racing. There may be ways around the problem of the huge speed gap between Olympians and mortals, but the problem has to be recognised before it is dealt with.

I'm cautious about caring what the hell looks cool, because about 50,000 times people have done something in sailing because it looks cool and about 50,000 times it has failed to increase numbers. I'd reckon that people who are obsessed with looking cool are the last people you actually want to get into your sport. Sports chase early adopters and those who want to look cool, but since about 1873 sailing has been finding out that if you try to get the early adopters/cool addicts then you find yourself losing out - because just as soon as you have shaped your sport to get them they will run off to the next cool thing. And who wants to hang out with people who are that obsessed with fashion and being trendy?

Chris 249
NSW, 3232 posts
11 Oct 2019 10:47PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AUS 814

Radials have big fleets; 40+ in the last Queensland titles, for example. But yes, most Olympic classes have very small fleets if any. And the Laser championship fleets are almost all composed of juniors, youths and masters since no one in the "open" age bracket wants to be embarrassed by having to try to chase Olympians around. That's why Olympic selection could be a major problem for foiling windsurfing. We'll probably need an Olympic class and a separate mass-market class, and that's going to be tricky.

The idea that foil racing is going to become popular if it's selected for the Olympics is pretty dubious.

sailquik
VIC, 6074 posts
11 Oct 2019 11:47PM
Thumbs Up

Interesting discussion. I just read the last few pages. some great points made by many.

My observation about the growth and popularity of windsurf foiling, is that it seems to me to be dominated by the middle aged and 'masters'. The long time recreational windsurfers with some existing skills, even ex racers looking for a new challenge, that seem to be getting into it in the largest numbers. It would seem unlikely, that this pattern, (if my observation is valid) would have any impact whatsoever on the size of racing fleets, especially youth racing and Olympics hopefull fleets.

Another issue I can see is the multiple 'stages' of learning, kids would have to go through to even get to thinking about racing Windfoilers. I imagine it would have to start with conventional windsurfing, progress through 'planing' windsurfing, and then, when quite a good level of balance and skill is reached, switch to learning yet another new skill, Foiling. Will anyone be throwing totally newbie kids on foiling craft for their first lessons and expecting them to get enough success to stick with it?

Paducah
2462 posts
11 Oct 2019 10:19PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Chris 249 said..

Yep, if foils open up light wind sailing (as they seem to do) then it would be great. I still think that the gap between the Olympians and the average racer will be enormous, and that will turn off the average racer which may actually harm foil racing. There may be ways around the problem of the huge speed gap between Olympians and mortals, but the problem has to be recognised before it is dealt with.

In my home town, 50k line up for the big annual 10k and most aren't even across the starting line before the winner crosses the finish line. They'll never run a competitive never mind Olympic level time. There are some who can't even run it all and just walk it. But they enjoy doing it all the same.

The people who race at the top level enjoy and prefer foiling from the essay I posted above. People tend to participate in the things they enjoy doing. If you gave an advanced windsurfer a choice of a windfoil and an RS:X and told them to go play for the afternoon, which one would they likely pick up? I'll agree that some have picked up foiling because it looks cool. But the first time up, when it gets quiet and you are gliding along almost effortlessly, most of us think - yeah, this is really is cool, and fun! Boats like the Laser and Hobie became popular because they were fun to sail compared to what else was available.

re: kids' learning curve - the idea it's too hard. Kids will do what they like. I guarantee that the average skateboard trick a 10 -14yr old grom can easily pull off is much more difficult than windfoiling. Farrah posted a pic of a teen women's fleet in France already. Where I am, guys who really haven't even sorted out footstraps and such are starting to foil. It's not that hard.

duzzi
996 posts
12 Oct 2019 3:07AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
WarpShuffle said..

You went to the windiest spot in Northern Italy, actually the windiest spot in Northern Italy, Switzerland, Austria and southern Germany ... of course you see more slalom equipment than foils! Drop the wind 8-10 knots (like at Silvaplana) and indeed foils pop up!

Chris 249
NSW, 3232 posts
13 Oct 2019 7:44PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Paducah said..

Chris 249 said..

In my home town, 50k line up for the big annual 10k and most aren't even across the starting line before the winner crosses the finish line. They'll never run a competitive never mind Olympic level time. There are some who can't even run it all and just walk it. But they enjoy doing it all the same.

The people who race at the top level enjoy and prefer foiling from the essay I posted above. People tend to participate in the things they enjoy doing. If you gave an advanced windsurfer a choice of a windfoil and an RS:X and told them to go play for the afternoon, which one would they likely pick up? I'll agree that some have picked up foiling because it looks cool. But the first time up, when it gets quiet and you are gliding along almost effortlessly, most of us think - yeah, this is really is cool, and fun! Boats like the Laser and Hobie became popular because they were fun to sail compared to what else was available.

Sure, but running is a very different sport; it's not "gear intensive", it's simple, cheap and takes little preparation time. The fact that 50k people turn up for a simple, cheap, accessible but fairly slow sport does not mean that a complicated, expensive, less accessible sport will become more popular if it becomes faster.

Whatever happens with running, we know from experience that making a type Olympic does NOT make it more popular. Year ago, when Henderson was running World Sailing he said that bringing in the 49er would create an entire pyramid of skiff types. That has not happened - skiffs are still fairly rare and less popular than conventional performance dinghies. When they brought in men's match racing, match racing did not become more popular; it was the same when they brought in women's match racing, foiling cats, and other types.

Time and time again we have seen that bringing a type into the Games may harm its popularity or not increase it, therefore making foiling Olympic could be a bad thing for foiling. I'm not anti-foil in any way and I've never liked the RSX personally, so I'm not trying to bring foiling down - merely saying that Olympic selection may well not have the positive effect that some people are talking about. Personally it could be good for me because I may be able to buy second-hand kit, although personally I'm not a great fan of the foiling I've done - I don't like effortless sailing personally,

Lasers and Hobies were little faster or "more fun" to sail in many ways than existing boats, but they were very simple, strict one designs that were easy to rig and versatile. An OK, Europe, Moth, Mosquito or Stingray could all arguably be at least as much fun to sail as a Laser or Hobie, but they were more complex and fragile. Accessibility and economy, not speed, are what the mass market prefers.

KA360
NSW, 801 posts
18 Oct 2019 7:44PM
Thumbs Up

Subsonic
WA, 2975 posts
18 Oct 2019 6:53PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Chris 249 said..

Paducah said..

Chris 249 said..

Sure, but running is a very different sport; it's not "gear intensive", it's simple, cheap and takes little preparation time. The fact that 50k people turn up for a simple, cheap, accessible but fairly slow sport does not mean that a complicated, expensive, less accessible sport will become more popular if it becomes faster.

Whatever happens with running, we know from experience that making a type Olympic does NOT make it more popular. Year ago, when Henderson was running World Sailing he said that bringing in the 49er would create an entire pyramid of skiff types. That has not happened - skiffs are still fairly rare and less popular than conventional performance dinghies. When they brought in men's match racing, match racing did not become more popular; it was the same when they brought in women's match racing, foiling cats, and other types.

Time and time again we have seen that bringing a type into the Games may harm its popularity or not increase it, therefore making foiling Olympic could be a bad thing for foiling. I'm not anti-foil in any way and I've never liked the RSX personally, so I'm not trying to bring foiling down - merely saying that Olympic selection may well not have the positive effect that some people are talking about. Personally it could be good for me because I may be able to buy second-hand kit, although personally I'm not a great fan of the foiling I've done - I don't like effortless sailing personally,

Lasers and Hobies were little faster or "more fun" to sail in many ways than existing boats, but they were very simple, strict one designs that were easy to rig and versatile. An OK, Europe, Moth, Mosquito or Stingray could all arguably be at least as much fun to sail as a Laser or Hobie, but they were more complex and fragile. Accessibility and economy, not speed, are what the mass market prefers.

True enough statement, saying a class being olympic doesn't necessarily attract more fresh starters (to sailing) to that class, but a class having olympic status can make it an attraction to those who are already sailing.

Sailors with an overactive competitive streak/olympic aspirations (which is quite common in sailing) will select an olympic class or olympic feeder class over another class which offers similar performance. As you stated, a new olympic class won't cause an increase in new classes at all. Quite the opposite, it can destroy other classes that are already present, and offering what the olympic class offers. I've witnessed this happen first hand.

Chris 249
NSW, 3232 posts
21 Oct 2019 1:28PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Subsonic said..

True enough statement, saying a class being olympic doesn't necessarily attract more fresh starters (to sailing) to that class, but a class having olympic status can make it an attraction to those who are already sailing.

Sailors with an overactive competitive streak/olympic aspirations (which is quite common in sailing) will select an olympic class or olympic feeder class over another class which offers similar performance. As you stated, a new olympic class won't cause an increase in new classes at all. Quite the opposite, it can destroy other classes that are already present, and offering what the olympic class offers. I've witnessed this happen first hand.

Not sure many sailors will move into an Olympic class over another, similar, class. Look in yachts - in Australia, Etchells became much more popular than the similar Olympic Soling. In this country, 470s have generally been much less popular than the Fireball, a boat of similar configuration and performance that lost out on Olympic selection; 49ers are less popular that International 14s, which are of similar configuratio and performance; the Nacra 17 is faster than the Formula 18 but the latter is much more popular.

If we look at the patterns of class popularity, we see that the Olympic classes largely rely on having a small number of sailors in a very large number of countries, and that apart from Finn and Laser masters and Radial youth, almost none of them is as popular at national level than similar classes that are not Olympic.

You're right that the Olympic feeder classes do well because sailors and their parents dream of Olympic success, but when they realise that it's out of their reach most of those sailors drop out of the whole sport.

If we look back at previous Olympic class announcements, there's a pattern where people say "this new 49er/RSX/Nacra 17/women's match racing/men's match racing/etc type will make this style of sailing popular at grass roots level", and it basically never seems to happen. The exceptions were back when the FD and Finn were chosen about 60 years ago, and they were creations of a very different time and very different aims; strange as it may seem to us, both of them were designed from the ground up as boats that were dual purpose cruiser/racers rather than specialised racing machines for expert Olympians. So just as Olympic selection would have been a disaster for the LT, it could be a disaster for foiling.

cammd
QLD, 3530 posts
21 Oct 2019 12:48PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Chris 249 said..

Subsonic said..

You're right that the Olympic feeder classes do well because sailors and their parents dream of Olympic success, but when they realise that it's out of their reach most of those sailors drop out of the whole sport.

I guided my 3 kids that windsurf towards raceboards and or formula boards over RSX because the Olympic pathway can suck the joy out windsurfing. Seen a few go down that road and then give up the sport totally.

Pacey
WA, 525 posts
21 Oct 2019 6:35PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Chris 249 said..

Not sure many sailors will move into an Olympic class over another, similar, class. Look in yachts - in Australia, Etchells became much more popular than the similar Olympic Soling. In this country, 470s have generally been much less popular than the Fireball, a boat of similar configuration and performance that lost out on Olympic selection; 49ers are less popular that International 14s, which are of similar configuratio and performance; the Nacra 17 is faster than the Formula 18 but the latter is much more popular.

If we look at the patterns of class popularity, we see that the Olympic classes largely rely on having a small number of sailors in a very large number of countries, and that apart from Finn and Laser masters and Radial youth, almost none of them is as popular at national level than similar classes that are not Olympic.

If we look back at previous Olympic class announcements, there's a pattern where people say "this new 49er/RSX/Nacra 17/women's match racing/men's match racing/etc type will make this style of sailing popular at grass roots level", and it basically never seems to happen. The exceptions were back when the FD and Finn were chosen about 60 years ago, and they were creations of a very different time and very different aims; strange as it may seem to us, both of them were designed from the ground up as boats that were dual purpose cruiser/racers rather than specialised racing machines for expert Olympians. So just as Olympic selection would have been a disaster for the LT, it could be a disaster for foiling.

As someone who sailed several Olympic dinghy classes in the 70s (Olympic selection campaigns in both 470s and FDs) followed by about 5 years campaigning a Laser at international level, I think the lack of popularity of the Olympic classes now has more to do with the funding model and the selection process than anything else.

In the late 1970s the 470 and FD were relatively healthy classes compared to what they were a decade or two later. At that time the Olympic selection was pretty much turn up at the Olympic trials regatta, and if you won the trials you got sent to the Olympics. This proved to be a bit random for some people's liking, particularly as we went to 3 Olympic games and without winning anything better than Bronze medals.

The cause of the contraction in classes such as the 470, FD, Soling etc. in my view was the over-riding focus on winning medals, and this meant picking potential winners early and funding them for overseas regatta participation and success. The net result was that if you didn't get selected as one of the elite sailors that got extensive funding, you were pretty much ruled out of any chance of Olympic selection. This killed off any grass roots support that the classes might have had at the club level, and promising sailors looked elsewhere.

The recent approach is summed up on the Australian Sailing Team website:
"Following a major review of the Olympic Sailing program after the Athens Games in 2004, where Australian Sailing came away empty-handed, a 'Gold Medal Plan' was developed with the aim of returning Australia to our position as a leading Olympic sailing nation.The Plan aimed to refine the foundations laid over previous years and complete the path to a sustainable medal-winning system from Junior to Youth to Olympic medallist.Fundamental to this strategy was the creation of the Australian Sailing Team in 2006 as a semi-autonomous entity with a highly professional approach to winning multiple medals in Beijing in 2008 and beyond."

Which is great, except the sport of sailing has contracted significantly during that time, with a lot fewer kids getting into it and aspiring to Olympic level sailing. Australia may be incredibly successful at winning Olympic medals in sailing, but the sole focus on winning medals has been to the detriment of the sport.

I'm hoping that wind foiling can avoid the pitfalls that the Olympic sailing classes, including the RSX, have fallen into, and build some grass roots support for the sport. That may mean multiple classes and possibly some low cost designs, but I'd hate to see wind foiling become another prohibitively expensive sport that excludes all but a chosen few from a chance at the Olympics.

Chris 249
NSW, 3232 posts
21 Oct 2019 9:55PM
Thumbs Up

/\

Sounds very much on the money to me, Pacey. I was looking at the result whereas you were looking at the cause.

One critical thing is that, as you say, sailing's popularity has declined significantly when the concentration has been on winning medals. As Cammd says, the current model can drive people out of the sport. Clearly the idea that if you win gold you will attract sailors has been disproved, but sports academics and others who actually do research have been trying to make people understand that for decades now.

I still recall when I was at one of the bigger dinghy/board clubs (Dobroyd in Sydney) being told by an AS coach that "getting kids on the water is all very nice, but it's not what AS care about - they just want a girl and a boy in each class at the Youth worlds, and a guy and woman at the top in each Olympic class". They seem to ignore the fact that without the clubs and their critical mass, they would not have those sailors.

AUS 814
NSW, 452 posts
22 Oct 2019 3:52PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
windsufering said..
Just a reminder at the last Nationals the lt fleet was bigger than the formula ,foil , techno and race board nationals combined .

We dont need reminding

windsufering
VIC, 1124 posts
22 Oct 2019 4:10PM
Thumbs Up

Sorry wrong thread

Grantmac
1955 posts
23 Oct 2019 12:49AM
Thumbs Up

I know quite a few people who sail race foil setups for fun, a few more who do so with raceboards. I've never heard of anyone sailing RS:X who didn't have Olympic asperations.
I would absolutely own and race a one design foil class if it was available in my area and there is no way I'm going to be remotely competitive.

jirvin4505
QLD, 1087 posts
26 Oct 2019 1:39PM
Thumbs Up

My son found this on a foiling Facebook group yesterday.
Not sure what to make of it

RichardG
WA, 3743 posts
26 Oct 2019 2:12PM
Thumbs Up

I suspect it might be necessary to keep the RSX for 2024 to allow the RSX to go forward for 2020. I understand there are lobbyists around the world that are advocating just that but for reasons that foiling is not ready as yet and a new Olympic board would be better selected for 2028 once the one design class has established and in a much cheaper form.

AUS 814
NSW, 452 posts
26 Oct 2019 6:28PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
RichardG said..
I suspect it might be necessary to keep the RSX for 2024 to allow the RSX to go forward for 2020. I understand there are lobbyists around the world that are advocating just that but for reasons that foiling is not ready as yet and a new Olympic board would be better selected for 2028 once the one design class has established and in a much cheaper form.

Sorry but why wait, there have already been problems with getting RSX equipment, look at the drama they have had trying to produce fins that don't break and are consistent in performance . No one apparently enjoys sailing the RSX, I am sure Severne and starboard have plans well advanced to ramp up production if WS gives the go ahead. Foiling is ready

Chris 249
NSW, 3232 posts
26 Oct 2019 8:41PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jirvin4505 said..

My son found this on a foiling Facebook group yesterday.
Not sure what to make of it

That really is playing hard ball, isn't it. I've never thought the RSX was a good board, but that was partly because selection process was stuffed. That has not improved, so we may have similar issues next time around.

What's really needed could be some more rigorous thinking, and some learning from past mistakes.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"2024 Olympics" started by cammd