GinoZanti
3 posts
8 Apr 2021 11:52PM
Thumbs Up

RichardG
WA, 3743 posts
9 Apr 2021 12:46AM
Thumbs Up

Who is the person standing next to the sail ? Who is the North sail designer? Where are the North sails made ? What is the cloth used ? What is the source of these photos ? What is the RRP of each of these sails in each market ? Will they work on other brand masts eg Ezzy, Old North, Duotone etc.?

GinoZanti
3 posts
9 Apr 2021 1:08AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
RichardG said..
Who is the person standing next to the sail ? Who is the North sail designer? Where are the North sails made ? What is the cloth used ? What is the source of these photos ? What is the RRP of each of these sails in each market ? Will they work on other brand masts eg Ezzy, Old North, Duotone etc.?

Pieter Bijl, designer of the Sails.

stonny
NSW, 99 posts
9 Apr 2021 7:51AM
Thumbs Up

If they are anything like North's 3DL yacht sails then they will be pretty special.

RichardG
WA, 3743 posts
9 Apr 2021 9:48PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
GinoZanti said..

RichardG said..

Thanks. I thought so but your confirmation is interesting. How can you be sure ? What else can you state about the sails ?

40FrothyKnots
NSW, 90 posts
4 Jun 2021 1:53PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
RichardG said..

GinoZanti said..

RichardG said..

Thanks. I thought so but your confirmation is interesting. How can you be sure ? What else can you state about the sails ?

Not much to be shared atm, but yeah they are real and they are coming out...hopefully soon.

Madge
NSW, 469 posts
4 Jun 2021 7:10PM
Thumbs Up

For a moulded sail, they look flat and pretty boring.

40FrothyKnots
NSW, 90 posts
4 Jun 2021 8:06PM
Thumbs Up

Funny everyone I talked to was super excited about the look.

People like different things...it's a fact. I like them a lot!

AUS4
NSW, 1250 posts
6 Jun 2021 7:50PM
Thumbs Up

Oh no, not again.
If you like a spongey, springing feeling in your hands then great but not many people did.

Imax1
QLD, 4548 posts
6 Jun 2021 7:56PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AUS4 said..
Oh no, not again.
If you like a spongey, springing feeling in your hands then great but not many people did.

Like a Ezzy on a alloy boom ?

CJW
NSW, 1717 posts
6 Jun 2021 8:22PM
Thumbs Up

To be fair thought 3DL and 3Di are completely different technologies with 3Di they can tune in whatever shape/stretch you want. Interesting to see what the pricing ends up at, a 3Di sail for a Moth which is 8m^2 ish give or take is ~$4k

AUS4
NSW, 1250 posts
6 Jun 2021 9:01PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Imax1 said..

AUS4 said..
Oh no, not again.

Larry Herbig sail designer.

AUS4
NSW, 1250 posts
6 Jun 2021 10:01PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
CJW said..
To be fair thought 3DL and 3Di are completely different technologies with 3Di they can tune in whatever shape/stretch you want. Interesting to see what the pricing ends up at, a 3Di sail for a Moth which is 8m^2 ish give or take is ~$4k

Still a spongey, springing feeling in your hands that many didn't like. This is one of the main reasons North 2018 ( Duotone) dropped 3Di.

cald
QLD, 164 posts
7 Jun 2021 1:12PM
Thumbs Up

I seem to remember the 3dl didn't like a decent crash much either...

Faff
VIC, 1169 posts
7 Jun 2021 4:06PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Imax1 said..

AUS4 said..
Oh no, not again.

Faff
VIC, 1169 posts
7 Jun 2021 4:08PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AUS4 said..

CJW said..

Still a spongey, springing feeling in your hands that many didn't like. This is one of the main reasons North 2018 ( Duotone) dropped 3Di.

Severne, Avanti membrane sails I've used don't feel spongy at all.

40FrothyKnots
NSW, 90 posts
9 Jun 2021 3:25PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AUS4 said..

CJW said..

More likely Boards and More could not follow up the project due to the imminent split with North, they are too smart to deliberately drop such groundbreaking innovation.

I regards to the one talking about a spongy feeling, you are looking at the wrong product...

Food for thought and education on this topic can be found in the link, this is the most accurate representation of what the North Windsurfing sails will look like construction wise.

Update:
@AUS4 where are you located in NSW, we might have the opportunity to see a prototype soon if you are interested :)

AUS4
NSW, 1250 posts
9 Jun 2021 7:59PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Kitekeeper said..

AUS4 said..

More likely Boards and More could not follow up the project due to the imminent split with North, they are too smart to deliberately drop such groundbreaking innovation.

I regards to the one talking about a spongy feeling, you are looking at the wrong product...

Food for thought and education on this topic can be found in the link, this is the most accurate representation of what the North Windsurfing sails will look like construction wise.

Update:
@AUS4 where are you located in NSW, we might have the opportunity to see a prototype soon if you are interested :)

Let's get this right Alessandro,
Boards and More have always had their own sail loft, sailmaker, technologies etc. the only connection with North Sails was paying royalties for the North logo, that's all.
There were a number of issues why Boards and More dropped this technology but North Sails had nothing to do with it.

AND I AM NOT LOOKING AT THE WRONG PRODUCT !!!!!! I have used it and know what I am talking about.

40FrothyKnots
NSW, 90 posts
9 Jun 2021 11:40PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AUS4 said..

Kitekeeper said..

AUS4 said..

Update:
@AUS4 where are you located in NSW, we might have the opportunity to see a prototype soon if you are interested :),

Let's get this right Alessandro,
Boards and More have always had their own sail loft, sailmaker, technologies etc. the only connection with North Sails was paying royalties for the North logo, that's all.
There were a number of issues why Boards and More dropped this technology but North Sails had nothing to do with it.

AND I AM NOT LOOKING AT THE WRONG PRODUCT !!!!!! I have used it and know what I am talking about.

I might have misinterpreted your message.

Are you talking about the 3DL technology or the 3Di?
The 3Di composite has no mylar in it, are you suggesting they might have a similar feeling/handling?

True, Boards and More have their product development team, designer etc this is why they kept all the names of kites and boards in the kite section, not sure about the WS but I would say so.

Regarding the 3DL project I was under the impression it is North Sails intellectual property?

sanded
NSW, 80 posts
11 Jun 2021 11:21AM
Thumbs Up

A bit more about the manufacturing

ol4t
14 posts
23 Nov 2021 7:47PM
Thumbs Up

You can reed some news here:

www.surf-magazin.de/news/north-sails-vor-dem-comeback

40FrothyKnots
NSW, 90 posts
2 Dec 2021 10:42AM
Thumbs Up

It's Official!!

North Sails has soft-launched the new WS range to be available to the market in March 2022.

Demo available from mid/late January in Australia.

Stock is limited, preorders open in Early February

Bonus point for the mast range produced in one of the finest factories in Australia.

ol4t
14 posts
11 Jan 2022 6:09PM
Thumbs Up

New foto from december

blog.rdeleeuw.nl/item?id=463

40FrothyKnots
NSW, 90 posts
10 Apr 2022 10:55AM
Thumbs Up

Only 2 days to go before the stiffest, strongest, lightweight WS sails launch!

Be prepared!

Mark _australia
WA, 22114 posts
10 Apr 2022 9:15AM
Thumbs Up

You forgot one.

Expensive-est? We shall see huh

40FrothyKnots
NSW, 90 posts
10 Apr 2022 2:30PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Mark _australia said..
You forgot one.

Expensive-est? We shall see huh

~$1500 for a 4.7m to give you a ballpark

Wind Smurf
NSW, 232 posts
10 Apr 2022 2:47PM
Thumbs Up

Why not put out a list of stockists so we can all see .

JakeNN
353 posts
10 Apr 2022 9:46PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Kitekeeper said..
~$1500 for a 4.7m to give you a ballpark

RRPs are kind of meaningless that nobody pays .. just shortcut to real price

40FrothyKnots
NSW, 90 posts
11 Apr 2022 9:45AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Wind Smurf said..
Why not put out a list of stockists so we can all see .

Sure,

Surf Fx
SHQ
KiteAddiciton

Will stock North Sails WS sails this year.

Sandman1221
2776 posts
11 Apr 2022 8:28AM
Thumbs Up

recently got an brand new Aerotech Phantom 4.5 in a nice color combo for $300, and it works great!

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"North Sails 2021" started by GinoZanti