Forums > Windsurfing   New South Wales

2018 GPS/Slalom Series

Created by GPSWindsurfing > 9 months ago, 22 Aug 2018
GPSWindsurfing
87 posts
22 Aug 2018 7:42PM
Thumbs Up

Marmong Point Sailing Club would like to invite you to the 2018/2019 NSW GPS/Slalom Series.

Round 1 - FORSTER 20/10/18 TO 21/10/18
Round 2 - LAKE MACQUARIE 10/11/18 OR 11/11/18
Round 3 & STATE SLALOM - MYALL LAKES 30/11/18 TO 2/12/18
Round 4 - LAKE MACQUARIE 12/01/19 OR 13/01/19

Like always, the emphasis is to have fun. Sailing together in fantastic locations is so enjoyable, so please come along (all levels of sailors, as well as families, are welcome).

Like last year, we will be running a series of training clinics as well. This was very well received last year.

We are still working on all the finer details, so the official poster will be released very soon. We realise people need to book accommodation, so please find the details below.

GPS / SLALOM ROUND 1 - The Forster accommodation is set up with 20% discount at Securalife style. Contact Alyssa Jones ph 026555511.
This is an amazing new caravan park!

STATE SLALOM - Accommodation is set up with 10% discount at the Myall Shores Holiday Park. Contact Robyn - ph 02499 74457 or 1300 769 566. Please mention you are a windsurfer, as we have booked out all remaining water campsites and also all cabins some time ago but cannot keep them on hold forever.

We have lucky door accommodation prizes for both Forster and Myall lakes generously provided to be given away to a lucky windsurfer.

This year the committee has spent a lot of time discussing the implementation of some changes to make the sailing more exciting. Like always, the conditions, location and availability of volunteers dictate what is able to be run. Racing can be arranged with marks and competitors go around this course over the set time period. Basically a massive figure 8 so we are racing each other but in the end, using your GPS (this has already proven to be more fun).

Racing can be a long distance slalom course and the result counts towards the GPS result. Elite and open class. No handicap. Elite can do 30 min or possibly 1 hr. Open 30 min. We all do slalom together.

The cut off period for submitting thru KA72 or via email is before 5 pm the day after racing.

HELP REQUIRED! we still need volunteers for Myall lakes slalom. Even if you are happy to do GPS that's cool, we need people to help score the slalom. We will pay for your camping accommodation. We also need someone to tow Marmong boat up to Forster. We will pay you to do this. We would also like to have a volunteer on the boat if possible.

Lake Macquarie events any helpers would be appreciated.

Committee: Byron Mcilveen, Murray Towndrow, Steve Walsh, Aron Constable

Dezza
NSW, 919 posts
22 Aug 2018 10:12PM
Thumbs Up

Sounds great, summer is nearly here, thanks for organising marmong team

tbwonder
NSW, 639 posts
24 Aug 2018 1:55PM
Thumbs Up

Just spoke to Myall Shores today, The waterfront sites are selling fast. Don't delay.

And the phone number for Secura Lifestyle Lakeside Forster is 02 6555 5511

Boston!
NSW, 248 posts
27 Aug 2018 5:07PM
Thumbs Up

All booked for Myall! Still waterfront campsites available at this stage. Looking forward to it!

byronmc
NSW, 500 posts
29 Aug 2018 10:17AM
Thumbs Up

For state slalom
call 1300 769 566
chose option 2 reception ask for Robin.
only 3 cabins left now very popular.
waterfront camp sites going quickly but more sites across road still available.
i am going up Thursday and staying till Monday make a great weekend away and that way not worried about having to pack up and get out Sunday arvo.

Tony Polony
NSW, 337 posts
29 Aug 2018 8:40PM
Thumbs Up

Really looking forward to Myall again. Thanks for organising this

sboardcrazy
NSW, 7917 posts
30 Aug 2018 12:48PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Tony Wills said..
Really looking forward to Myall again. Thanks for organising this

Hope you stay well this time Tony!

Adriano
11206 posts
15 Sep 2018 6:52PM
Thumbs Up

Well....thanks for organising this again guys, but all north coast events again and twice in the swamp!

What about the south coasters? What about the Mexicans?!

Why don't you just call it the Mid NSW Coast Series and come out of the closet?

All jokes aside, I'll be at the JB Sand & Sea Festival in October so hope to see a few of you there. I don't know who these guys have been talking to, but that downwinder and obstacle course slalom are perfect for Jervis Bay, still the best all round flat water windsurfing in NSW in my opinion. I've done those tracks many times over the decades and they've got it spot on. Just the kind of racing I've been advocating there for two decades. That sounds like an awesome event and being multi-disciplinary should also be great for families.

Anyway, have a great summer up there, have a good series and hope to see you on the turquoise waters of Jervis Bay....

Boston!
NSW, 248 posts
16 Sep 2018 4:49PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Adriano said..
Well....thanks for organising this again guys, but all north coast events again and twice in the swamp!

What about the south coasters? What about the Mexicans?!

Why don't you just call it the Mid NSW Coast Series and come out of the closet?

All jokes aside, I'll be at the JB Sand & Sea Festival in October so hope to see a few of you there. I don't know who these guys have been talking to, but that downwinder and obstacle course slalom are perfect for Jervis Bay, still the best all round flat water windsurfing in NSW in my opinion. I've done those tracks many times over the decades and they've got it spot on. Just the kind of racing I've been advocating there for two decades. That sounds like an awesome event and being multi-disciplinary should also be great for families.

Anyway, have a great summer up there, have a good series and hope to see you on the turquoise waters of Jervis Bay....

I asked the same question regarding the Sydney and south coast events, Adriano, and I was told that both events had run at a loss due to a lack of numbers the last couple of years.

muz720
NSW, 81 posts
16 Sep 2018 5:31PM
Thumbs Up

Would love to and have loved heading south over the years but ultimately the costs and resources associated with running an event down south have outweighed the benefits.

If if someone form down south is keen to organise a boat, boat crew, aquatic license and then encourage locals to participate to make it financial that would be a great start.

ultimately the series needs participation to make it a success at all locations if we only get 4 or so locals and 15 people traveling and then those 4 locals don't come to other events that doesn't work for the series, hence the locations chosen this year.

Would love to see the sand n sea festival event be a bolted on to the series in the future with some better forward planning.

Adriano
11206 posts
16 Sep 2018 4:12PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah mate I know that's why. Just yankin' it a bit.......

Maybe if it was at Jervis Bay instead of St Georges Swamp it might work. Families would much rather hang out on white sand with turqoise waters and a township than a muddy swamp with a second rate general store....

Maybe......you could get together with Sand & Sea Festival and run the GPS concurrently. That would save huge costs by sharing resources. They already have a downwinder and obstacle slalom. Just add GPS and Tibor's your uncle! Well, he's already everyone's uncle.... I wouldn't be surprised if they let us tag along just to drum up interest. Insurance sorted too.

How's that for an idea?

byronmc
NSW, 500 posts
20 Sep 2018 5:24PM
Thumbs Up

Myall lakes state slalom you need to book accommodation ASAP it is selling out.
only two cabins left
only a few powered water front sites left. (there are more powered sites but not on water front)
There is interest from Victoria and QLD so come along to this very special place.
For state slalom
call 1300 769 566
chose option 2 reception ask for Robin tell them you are a windsurfer for your discount.

We will be posting more information and a new electronic link to pay very shortly.
We have been working hard to get some fantastic sponsors this year and it is shaping up to be very well supported from some great suppliers.

Adriano I love it down there as well fantastic place and in fact having a week holiday there in Christmas holidays, but only a couple of locals turned up from the area and two years ago we lost money running the event as such.
Last year at Myall lakes we had 26 competitors it really is a fantastic place to hang out.

Tony Polony
NSW, 337 posts
26 Sep 2018 5:22PM
Thumbs Up

Unfortunately won't be able to join you all at Myall Lakes this year. Eldest daughter has decided to get married instead...

powersloshin
NSW, 1653 posts
27 Sep 2018 7:07AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Tony Wills said..
Unfortunately won't be able to join you all at Myall Lakes this year. Eldest daughter has decided to get married instead...

You'll be a grandfather soon !!! Congratulations !

audymaccop
8 posts
6 Oct 2018 7:12AM
Thumbs Up

byronmc said..
Myall lakes state slalom you need to book accommodation ASAP it is selling out.
only two cabins left
only a few powered water front sites left. (there are more powered sites but not on water front)
There is interest from Victoria and QLD so come along to this very special place.
For state slalom
call 1300 769 566
chose option 2 reception ask for Robin tell them you are a windsurfer for your discount.

We will be posting more information and a new electronic link to pay very shortly.
We have been working hard to get some fantastic sponsors this year and it is shaping up to be very well supported from some great suppliers. 8ballpool.onl/ https://googlehangouts.ooo/ omegle.onl/
Adriano I love it down there as well fantastic place and in fact having a week holiday there in Christmas holidays, but only a couple of locals turned up from the area and two years ago we lost money running the event as such.
Last year at Myall lakes we had 26 competitors it really is a fantastic place to hang out.

Lamentably won't have the capacity to go along with all of you at Myall Lakes this year. Oldest little girl has chosen to get hitched

GPSWindsurfing
87 posts
9 Oct 2018 7:42AM
Thumbs Up

Online registrations are now open for the 2018/2019 NSW GPS/Slalom Series.

Round 1- FORSTER 20/10/18 TO 21/10/18
Round 2- LAKE MACQUARIE 10/11/18 OR 11/11/18
Round 3 & STATE SLALOM- MYALL LAKES 30/11/18 TO 2/12/18
Round 4- LAKE MACQUARIE 12/01/19 OR 13/01/19

The first event is only weeks away!

Register Here - http://gpswindsurfing.com.au/2018-registration

tbwonder
NSW, 639 posts
9 Oct 2018 12:15PM
Thumbs Up

Entered.

Thanks for the continued efforts of the MPSC for organizing these events.

Looking forward to a great weekend

Ian85
NSW, 23 posts
9 Oct 2018 9:52PM
Thumbs Up

I am going as well.Looking forward to another season Sailing and travels .
Finally registered for Seabreeze

GPSWindsurfing
87 posts
12 Oct 2018 7:47AM
Thumbs Up

A really big thanks to all the sponsors that have enabled this series to happen.

We have a few of the large shops supporting us, so it's important for all of us to return the favor and support them. Likewise with the accommodation, Buckos, and butcher etc.

A large amount of work goes into to organising the series with many volunteer man hrs required.

Newcastle Kite & Sup
(Money to help pay for shirts).

Windsurf & Snow

Jordans Windsurfing & Sup shop
(giving a KA sail away to a lucky windsurfer).

KA Sails

Fanatic Boards
(small give away prizes and help with new inflatable marks).

Duotone Sails
(small give away prizes).

Myall shores Holliday Park
(10% discount for windsurfers for state slalom weekend and they are giving away weekend accommodation lucky door prize. A Family fantastic place to stay).
Secura Lifestyle Forster (20% discount for windsurfers we are staying here for Forster comp and they have weekend accommodation lucky door prize, one of the nicest caravan parks I have stayed at)

Blueys Retreat Forster
(give away weekend accommodation lucky door prize stunning place to stay)

Bukos Bistro Forster Golf club
(Room booked for Saturday night with discounted price and fantastic food last year the food was absolutely superb)

Forster Gourmet Butchers (meat tray give away we may do a late morning brunch this year for everyone)

MPSC organising and running the series.

ORGANISING TEAM
Byron Mcilveen, Murray Towndrow, Steve Walsh, Aron Constable. New high quality shirts look amazing (no discount this year as we have gone with a new high-quality shirt but have been paid by the three major shop sponsors).

Please note there are some changes we have implemented to make racing more exciting as requested by feedback as noted in sailing instructions.

We will have the Marmong boat at Forster as the rescue boat and the ability to put marks out.

We will be organising teaching days like we did last year (this was a huge success).

Please click on the link and pay for series or what events you intend to race at. This helps us cater for numbers. The more people the more enjoyable it is for everyone. We encourage you to bring the family (that's what it is about, being together having fun).

Please book your accommodation for Forster and Myall. Myall is filling up fast but there are all types of accommodation left but they are asking me how long I can keep it on hold before giving it to the public and then it will sell out. It's a cheap camping weekend so book it now with a deposit.

JonesySail
QLD, 1061 posts
12 Oct 2018 10:22PM
Thumbs Up

Bring forward Monday to Sat..and you could get some Qld's heading south! Nothing but buckets of H20 here, in both forms frozen and defrosted and the wind is sucking harder than a kings cross...XHJ!@@.. must be cause it sucked the roofs of fair few buildings up our way!

Double island point Qld

Boston!
NSW, 248 posts
13 Oct 2018 9:23AM
Thumbs Up

All registered and ready to go! Come on wind!

Dezza
NSW, 919 posts
15 Oct 2018 9:21PM
Thumbs Up

Does anyone have favourite wind forecast sites for Forster? I've got the windguru Forster/Tuncurry one but any others? Ta

AUS4
NSW, 1249 posts
16 Oct 2018 4:57PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Dezza said..
Does anyone have favourite wind forecast sites for Forster? I've got the windguru Forster/Tuncurry one but any others? Ta

BOM MetEye
bring your raincoat.

Dezza
NSW, 919 posts
16 Oct 2018 6:35PM
Thumbs Up

ta. and my big sail

byronmc
NSW, 500 posts
16 Oct 2018 10:26PM
Thumbs Up

be a great weekend hot and sunny on Saturday with heaps of stuff organised.
long way out so who knows what we will get it keeps changing but looks OK.

Boston!
NSW, 248 posts
18 Oct 2018 7:46PM
Thumbs Up

The latest!

Ian85
NSW, 23 posts
18 Oct 2018 8:12PM
Thumbs Up

Looking good.
I plan to arrive early tomorrow afternoon for a sail.

Dezza
NSW, 919 posts
18 Oct 2018 8:44PM
Thumbs Up

Me too see u there Ian

jamesf
NSW, 988 posts
19 Oct 2018 7:29AM
Thumbs Up

Here's directions to the sailing club if you haven't been there before.

Great Lakes Sailing Club
4859 The Lakes Way, Forster
goo.gl/maps/QfEq24rA5j42

Looks like rego 10-11am, then briefing at 11.

byronmc
NSW, 500 posts
19 Oct 2018 12:12PM
Thumbs Up

yes briefing at 11pm as per sailing instructions.
registration is on line see link on this forum takes 1min to fill out using paypal.
click here to pay http://gpswindsurfing.com.au/2018-registration/
looks like good numbers looking forward to kicking off the season.
If anyone is interested a few people having a sail at the sailing club this afternoon.
I will be in front of cabin one on the lake waters edge for drinks later this arvo after a quick sail hopefully then watching the sun set if any one wants come around and enjoy the view to kick the weekend off. bring some nibbles and alcohol if you wish.

see you up there.

Dezza
NSW, 919 posts
19 Oct 2018 7:00PM
Thumbs Up

The girls all had a good sail today and are ready for the weekend ahead

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing   New South Wales

"2018 GPS/Slalom Series" started by GPSWindsurfing