Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

2020 Icon Simmer Style - First Look

Created by jh2703 > 9 months ago, 12 Aug 2019
jh2703
NSW, 1222 posts
12 Aug 2019 2:17PM
Thumbs Up

Here's a quick look at my new sails, Just Arrived today fresh from Sweden in just 6 days. Thanks to Simmer Style and Jesper from Simmer Style WA for getting it all sorted for me. I've gone all Icons this year, Last season I used a mix of Icons and BlackTips but felt the Icon suited me and my style better. The colors look amazing in the flesh and the build quality it 100% as usual. They rig a little different from last year with less downhaul and tighter through the luff sleeve...They do mention this in the sail brief, These changes are expected to deliver better handling, power and wind range. I'm looking forward to another great season on the best gear I've used to date, It's pretty much bulletproof (I've not damaged anything) and works like is says on the box. I'll give you the low down as soon as I get them wet, Here's the run down from their website...

WORLD WIDE WAVE PERFORMANCE

The Icon is the most versatile wave sail in the range and 2020 is no exception. Designed with progressive mast sleeve and luff curve design. The smaller sizes have been designed with a narrow luff for direct handling and improved control in stronger winds. The width of the mast sleeve gradually increases towards the larger sizes to generate the perfect balance of power and balance.

The Icon combines ease of handling with a sensationally crisp direct riding feel. The five batten panel layout gives you an absolute control in all situations and the confidence to push hard. If you are jumping in high-wind jumping in Capetown or down the line wave riding at Hookipa, the Icon ultimate level of stability in vast wind ranges. Versatility is the name of the game for the traveling windsurfer and the Icon is the most versatile sail ever designed.

For the 2020 Icon features more curve in the top 25%, but with a breaking point for the twist lower down in the sail. This allows the sail body and mast to generate more energy which effectively creates a more dynamic sail body. The new vertical shaping techniques allows us to create a more harmonious sail profile which results in a more even skin tension between all areas of the sail, providing a more balanced and effective rig.

For a sail that works in all type of conditions, world wide, the Icon is your choice.

(Can you spy the new SX10 skinny boom?)

J

northy1
430 posts
12 Aug 2019 9:01PM
Thumbs Up

...look good - my only personal gripe: i dont like white on sails as (from UK where we have a bit of rain ) it can get grubby with dirt

uweh
311 posts
14 Aug 2019 4:21PM
Thumbs Up

something new on the sx10 boom the "old"sx10 where black yellow...like them a lot...

jh2703
NSW, 1222 posts
14 Aug 2019 7:31PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
uweh said..
something new on the sx10 boom the "old"sx10 where black yellow...like them a lot...

The new "skinny" SX10 boom is 24.5mm diameter Vs 26mm of the standard SX10 but only come in 140-200. And yep the standard SX10 was a sweet boom.

uweh
311 posts
15 Aug 2019 3:59PM
Thumbs Up

thanks for bloody fast answer...

philn
725 posts
15 Aug 2019 11:23PM
Thumbs Up

Have you used the standard SX10 150-210? My smallest sail has a boom length of 154 and my largest has a boom length of 205, so would be fantastic to get one boom for the lot. Currently using Severne Enigma 150-200 for most sailing and a Chinook for the biggest sail. I really like the 25 grip size of the Severne, but I'm not as happy with the chinook, so thinking of alternatives.

uweh
311 posts
16 Aug 2019 3:31PM
Thumbs Up

the sx10 yellow/black "old" model is top and 150-210...just a little really a little bigger diameter than the enigma but has laminated holes
in the extension...much better than the drilled ones in the enigma boom from severne...

jh2703
NSW, 1222 posts
16 Aug 2019 6:03PM
Thumbs Up

I've not used the bigger SX10 but it's very similar to the smaller one I have as far as the specs read. Same diameter, Same extension, Same inner width and just 10cm longer in the arms and 100g in weight. I went from the Goya Supper skinny (24.5mm) to the SX10 (26mm) and to be honest can't say I noticed a difference...Other then the SX10 grip being a lot more comfortable then the Goya which feels harder and in the hands. The Goya has a very narrow tail which meant bigger sails quite often touched the boom for up to 2/3 of its length...Wasn't any performance issues it just sometimes looked ugly. The SX10 has a wider tail piece (Goya has now made theirs wider) so the sails set very nice, I'm running up to 6.2 on the 140-200. Like I mentioned it's very comfortable in the hands, No blisters to date and it has some nice harness line guides to make sure everything is nicely balanced from side to side. The boom head is by far the best I've seen, Zero wobble after a full season and has never slipped down the mast. I do highly recommend this boom over all I've used in the last few years (NP, Goya, 211 and Severne). If anyone is sailing Gerroa and wants to give mine a go just hit me up and we'll make it happen.

Cheers J.

uweh
311 posts
19 Aug 2019 3:46PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jh2703 said..
I've not used the bigger SX10 but it's very similar to the smaller one I have as far as the specs read. Same diameter, Same extension, Same inner width and just 10cm longer in the arms and 100g in weight. I went from the Goya Supper skinny (24.5mm) to the SX10 (26mm) and to be honest can't say I noticed a difference...Other then the SX10 grip being a lot more comfortable then the Goya which feels harder and in the hands. The Goya has a very narrow tail which meant bigger sails quite often touched the boom for up to 2/3 of its length...Wasn't any performance issues it just sometimes looked ugly. The SX10 has a wider tail piece (Goya has now made theirs wider) so the sails set very nice, I'm running up to 6.2 on the 140-200. Like I mentioned it's very comfortable in the hands, No blisters to date and it has some nice harness line guides to make sure everything is nicely balanced from side to side. The boom head is by far the best I've seen, Zero wobble after a full season and has never slipped down the mast. I do highly recommend this boom over all I've used in the last few years (NP, Goya, 211 and Severne). If anyone is sailing Gerroa and wants to give mine a go just hit me up and we'll make it happen.

Cheers J.

are the holes of the new sx10 skinny boom are laminated too ? or drilled ?

thanks in advance

jh2703
NSW, 1222 posts
21 Aug 2019 8:11PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
uweh said..

jh2703 said..

Cheers J.

are the holes of the new sx10 skinny boom are laminated too ? or drilled ?

thanks in advance

The new boom is drilled

uweh
311 posts
22 Aug 2019 3:57PM
Thumbs Up

thanks !

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"2020 Icon Simmer Style - First Look" started by jh2703