Forums > Windsurfing Tasmania

Dash for Cash 2021 cancelled.

Created by Steve Charles > 9 months ago, 11 Dec 2020
Steve Charles
QLD, 1237 posts
11 Dec 2020 8:03PM
Thumbs Up

Hi guys, I had a phone call this week from the Sandy Bay Regatta Association. Unfortunately there are going to be no water sports at the regatta for 2021.

Relic
TAS, 837 posts
12 Dec 2020 8:20PM
Thumbs Up

Will there be any Australia Day Event at all? Or is the whole thing a COVID Casualty?

Steve Charles
QLD, 1237 posts
13 Dec 2020 9:52AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Relic said..
Will there be any Australia Day Event at all? Or is the whole thing a COVID Casualty?

Yes, just no water sports this year.

grahamn
TAS, 161 posts
14 Dec 2020 7:51AM
Thumbs Up

A regatta without water sports, how bizzare

Relic
TAS, 837 posts
14 Dec 2020 4:26PM
Thumbs Up

Regatta; "A sporting event consisting of a series of boat or yacht races"
2021 Should be renamed; Sandy Bay Regatta Wake. No clever play on words intended.
P.S. I'll be going for a sail from Sandy Bay to Bellerive and back on Australia day anyone who wants to join me is more than welcome.

Relic
TAS, 837 posts
14 Dec 2020 4:26PM
Thumbs Up

Regatta; "A sporting event consisting of a series of boat or yacht races"
2021 Event needs to be renamed; Sandy Bay Regatta Wake. No clever play on words intended.
P.S. I'll be going for a sail from Sandy Bay to Bellerive and back on Australia day anyone who wants to join me is more than welcome.

appleman
TAS, 443 posts
13 Jan 2021 1:59AM
Thumbs Up

Bump.
Hard core little Maui.???????
Pusseys.
SBYC.
Etc.
?

appleman
TAS, 443 posts
13 Jan 2021 2:01AM
Thumbs Up

WST.?
Ha.

Kazza
TAS, 2341 posts
14 Jan 2021 9:45AM
Thumbs Up

Appleman can you translate that in english

Steve Charles
QLD, 1237 posts
15 Jan 2021 4:58PM
Thumbs Up

Apples said that it should become a WT event or we run it through the SBSC I think

Mort67
TAS, 423 posts
16 Jan 2021 7:55AM
Thumbs Up

WT could run as a race event, but that would require all participants to be WT/WCAA/AWA members (that old insurance chestnut). I would think that given the distance and mix of craft/ability, access to a rescue boat would be required too. We could approach SBSC to investigate

martyj4
500 posts
18 Jan 2021 7:07AM
Thumbs Up

Before we go too much further I'll just suggest that we work out numbers. It's not ideal to have organisers put in a lot of effort for (say) 3 people to compete. Given that competitors need to be WT members, this will limit the numbers compared to a usual event (where sailors haven't been required to be WT members). I'd suggest if people want this to go ahead, they need to say that they're willing to become WT members and they're prepared to sail on the day?
Thoughts?

alanshort
TAS, 151 posts
18 Jan 2021 9:25PM
Thumbs Up

I think Mort is on the money
Maybe a day reg fee for those who only want to do that race
Usually get 20 +- starters

Relic
TAS, 837 posts
19 Jan 2021 9:28AM
Thumbs Up

Numerous Wally LT sailors are already WT members plus other existing members.
A week out cash or not come for a sail Sandy Bay to Bellerive and back. Take responsibility for yourself.
Be honest with yourself about your capabilities.

Mort67
TAS, 423 posts
21 Jan 2021 8:07PM
Thumbs Up

If there's a socially competitive & disorganised sail across the Derwent and back then post some timing details here.
Clearly there isn't going to be a sanctioned event, but we could we try to reinvigorate on the WT calendar next year
I may need to come to Hobart for Wednesday work and happy to come down early to observe/adjudicate a friendly Dash (off the water due to an operation).
Cheers, Mort

Relic
TAS, 837 posts
23 Jan 2021 6:55AM
Thumbs Up

Mort you're a "Wordsmth"! What a great slogan. "Socially Disorganised and Uncompetitive"
I'll be prepared to be Unsanctioned, ready to "Cruise and loose"; To use another gem coined by a "Stirling Windsurfing Wordsmith"
Forecast is for a moderate Southerly in the afternoon. Meet at Nutgrove Beach between Sandy Bay Sailing Club and Regatta Pavillion (Seagrass Restaurant). In the water round 12:00 to clown around before heading off at 1:00.
Might need to be early and creative to access parking as the road may be blocked for The (Dry) Regatta. Beach road may be an option.
Come along and add some "Unnofficial Water" to an otherwise "Dry Regatta". Be part of maintaining a continuation presence on the water on Australia Day since 1849 in the true spirit of the event : "Seafarers testing their skills against their mates"
P.S. Curiously The Sandy Bay Regatta website says;

"The 2021 Sandy Bay Regatta has been limited to water activities and The City of Hobart Citizenship Ceremony due to Coronavirus"

alanshort
TAS, 151 posts
25 Jan 2021 10:08PM
Thumbs Up

It would be a bit in the face of the regatta association that have supported us so generously for decades if we were to race in front of them when they have cancelled it. They may well not support us in the future.

buzzy
TAS, 2433 posts
26 Jan 2021 12:56AM
Thumbs Up

I find it strange that in all their media stuff they state there is a focus on water based activities, especially 'come and try' and 'exhibition races' There is no Covid reason or anything related that would warrant cancelling the windsurfing event. Bit of a kick in the guts for the long running event! Their support for the event has gone and will probably never return!

buzzy
TAS, 2433 posts
26 Jan 2021 1:01AM
Thumbs Up

By the way it is still listed on the website! Says 2019(obviously just a typo on the 2021 page they didn't correct), but it is still on there along with all the other events. So you would have a good argument to turn up and park in the usual location expecting the event to still be on.
www.sandybayregatta.com.au/

MAYBE SOMEONE JUMPED THE GUN TO NOTIFY STEVE WITH INCORRECT INFORMATION BEFORE A FINAL DECISION HAD BEEN MADE!!!!!!!!!!

Mort67
TAS, 423 posts
26 Jan 2021 7:18AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
buzzy said..
By the way it is still listed on the website! Says 2019(obviously just a typo on the 2021 page they didn't correct), but it is still on there along with all the other events. So you would have a good argument to turn up and park in the usual location expecting the event to still be on.
www.sandybayregatta.com.au/

MAYBE SOMEONE JUMPED THE GUN TO NOTIFY STEVE WITH INCORRECT INFORMATION BEFORE A FINAL DECISION HAD BEEN MADE!!!!!!!!!!

On the same website under the Program page (which appears to be updated for 2021 and Covid) there are a number of water activities, but no windsurfing/ Dash for Cash.

AUS02
TAS, 1981 posts
26 Jan 2021 7:52AM
Thumbs Up

My understanding is that the Regatta itself will finish earlier in the afternoon this year than previously and therefore no dash-for-cash at 2-3pm.

The Association is looking forward to having us back next year.

As an aside, Steve had also stepped down from managing this event on behalf of the SBRA after many years of doing a fantastic job. No-one stepped up to fill this role, so there had been discussions with the SBSC around their involvement and having a rescue boat (paid for out of entry fees or by the Regatta Association), but those discussion hadn't been finalised before the event for this year was cancelled.

Ideally, we work with the SBRA and the SBSC to bring the event back next year bigger and better than ever.

Relic
TAS, 837 posts
26 Jan 2021 8:23AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Relic said..
Mort you're a "Wordsmth"! What a great slogan. "Socially Disorganised and Uncompetitive"
I'll be prepared to be Unsanctioned, ready to "Cruise and loose"; To use another gem coined by a "Stirling Windsurfing Wordsmith"
Forecast is for a moderate Southerly in the afternoon. Meet at Nutgrove Beach between Sandy Bay Sailing Club and Regatta Pavillion (Seagrass Restaurant). In the water round 12:00 to clown around before heading off at 1:00.
Might need to be early and creative to access parking as the road may be blocked for The (Dry) Regatta. Beach road may be an option.
Come along and add some "Unnofficial Water" to an otherwise "Dry Regatta". Be part of maintaining a continuation presence on the water on Australia Day since 1849 in the true spirit of the event : "Seafarers testing their skills against their mates"
P.S. Curiously The Sandy Bay Regatta website says;

"The 2021 Sandy Bay Regatta has been limited to water activities and The City of Hobart Citizenship Ceremony due to Coronavirus"

Select to expand quote
alanshort said..
It would be a bit in the face of the regatta association that have supported us so generously for decades if we were to race in front of them when they have cancelled it. They may well not support us in the future.

Good point Allan. Next year then.

buzzy
TAS, 2433 posts
26 Jan 2021 8:27PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AUS02 said..
My understanding is that the Regatta itself will finish earlier in the afternoon this year than previously and therefore no dash-for-cash at 2-3pm.

The Association is looking forward to having us back next year.

As an aside, Steve had also stepped down from managing this event on behalf of the SBRA after many years of doing a fantastic job. No-one stepped up to fill this role, so there had been discussions with the SBSC around their involvement and having a rescue boat (paid for out of entry fees or by the Regatta Association), but those discussion hadn't been finalised before the event for this year was cancelled.

Ideally, we work with the SBRA and the SBSC to bring the event back next year bigger and better than ever.

Thanks Dave. Makes it a bit clearer. Cheers

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Tasmania

"Dash for Cash 2021 cancelled." started by Steve Charles