Forums > Wing Foiling General

2022 Duotone Unit Review

Created by Icebergmansion > 9 months ago, 22 Apr 2022
wsurfn
76 posts
17 Jun 2022 9:47PM
Thumbs Up

Just bought one (waiting for delivery). I pray for the cash, this does not happen, And if it does, they warrant it.

dejavu
808 posts
22 Jun 2022 10:14PM
Thumbs Up

Wingsurfer51
5 posts
24 Jun 2022 12:48PM
Thumbs Up

Can confirm that the green units have the same
issue. First wing out on mine and full explosion out of the centre strut. Going for a warranty which shouldn't be a problem

omg
276 posts
24 Jun 2022 2:23PM
Thumbs Up

Are these exploded ones done in Sri Lanka or China? China made Unit at least in my case had some quality control issues (very new factory and obviously workers as well), but Sri Lanka Units (in which kites and wings have been made for many many years) had none in my case. Any comments from the retailers/other clients?

Really love the new Units

pumpnjump
WA, 257 posts
24 Jun 2022 4:09PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Wingsurfer51 said..
issue. First wing out on mine and full explosion out of the centre strut. Going for a warranty which shouldn't be a problem

Keep us posted regarding the warranty and Duotones response, I have 2 DLabs and a standard Unit, great wings, but this design fault makes me nervous. Its very easy to see, that if there was an extra layer of cloth larger than the patch they use, this wouldn't be a problem, easy to see in hindsight. I hope the second batch fix this issue, it would be good to hear a response from Duotone.

flatchat
WA, 85 posts
27 Jun 2022 5:38PM
Thumbs Up

Bummer. Just had my 'green' Unit fail at the handle. Wing was 3.5 mths old. I won't be posting any photos as I am chasing a full warranty replacement. So far the dealer's response has been A class and was given a replacement wing to use until the warranty claim is verified.

rmitch
23 posts
28 Jun 2022 12:54AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
omg said..
Are these exploded ones done in Sri Lanka or China? China made Unit at least in my case had some quality control issues (very new factory and obviously workers as well), but Sri Lanka Units (in which kites and wings have been made for many many years) had none in my case. Any comments from the retailers/other clients?

Hey OMG, wondering how you can tell where they were manufactured? I've had mine 5.5 purple (9 sessions), 4m green (2 sessions) with no sign of impending doom and sure hope there's no future surprise in store for me out on the water. Like everyone else, really like the new Unit, but am a bit nervous with all the talk of handle explosions!

ps..I also noticed from all the info when the wings arrived that you can register for a +6 month extended warranty (which i did), so hopefully that too will give some peace of mind.

www.duotonesports.com/foilwing/more/ask-us/warranty-registration/

omg
276 posts
28 Jun 2022 5:21AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
rmitch said..

omg said..

Hey OMG, wondering how you can tell where they were manufactured? I've had mine 5.5 purple (9 sessions), 4m green (2 sessions) with no sign of impending doom and sure hope there's no future surprise in store for me out on the water. Like everyone else, really like the new Unit, but am a bit nervous with all the talk of handle explosions!

ps..I also noticed from all the info when the wings arrived that you can register for a +6 month extended warranty (which i did), so hopefully that too will give some peace of mind.

www.duotonesports.com/foilwing/more/ask-us/warranty-registration/

There's a tag somewhere under the struts attachment point, smallish white tag saying "made in...".

Wingsurfer51
5 posts
28 Jun 2022 12:27PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
pumpnjump said..

Wingsurfer51 said..

Keep us posted regarding the warranty and Duotones response, I have 2 DLabs and a standard Unit, great wings, but this design fault makes me nervous. Its very easy to see, that if there was an extra layer of cloth larger than the patch they use, this wouldn't be a problem, easy to see in hindsight. I hope the second batch fix this issue, it would be good to hear a response from Duotone.

Good news for me. Duotone accepted the warranty. Hope anyone else that has this issue gets resolved okay.

norfolkfoiler
2 posts
3 Jul 2022 4:15AM
Thumbs Up

Does anyone know of any failures on dlab units?

warwickl
NSW, 2173 posts
3 Jul 2022 7:23AM
Thumbs Up

I have 4 and 5.5m Duotone dlabs, both made in Sri Lanka.
I have foiled the 5.5m from 8kn to 25kn wind atleast 10 times. In the light wind range often a lot of pumping was required to get on the foil while 25kn is at the top end of enjoyable foiling.
No issues of any kind, its just the best windwing I have ever had and I've had many including Slicks.

wsurfn
76 posts
4 Jul 2022 1:22AM
Thumbs Up

I just took delivery of mine and sailed it for the first time. Great wing. Bag says made in China. I can't find anything on the wing, but the serial number. I bet it is made in China. It is green, but poster above dashed that hope. Filled out my warranty. Fingers crossed. I sure wish the new Slick SLS came out just a few weeks earlier. They addressed the issues I had with my Slick I replaced. Handles on the Unit are nice, I am just missing the middle of my boom ;)

JohnnyTsunami
131 posts
18 Jul 2022 4:12AM
Thumbs Up

Just noticing some things after my 10th session on the dlabs. If you're not well powered upwind it doesn't like to point and it feels like there is no wind. Sheeting in only powers the tail of the wing. Strange. Noticing this more lately.

I wonder if this is pressure dependent?
Anyone loosen the Velcro out haul and pump the strut less to increase draft?

warwickl
NSW, 2173 posts
18 Jul 2022 6:45AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
JohnnyTsunami said..
Just noticing some things after my 10th session on the dlabs. If you're not well powered upwind it doesn't like to point and it feels like there is no wind. Sheeting in only powers the tail of the wing. Strange. Noticing this more lately.

I wonder if this is pressure dependent?
Anyone loosen the Velcro out haul and pump the strut less to increase draft?

What size do you have?
I have a 4 and 5.5. So far 90% on the 5.5 Dlab and it's an exceptional wing in every respect.

JohnnyTsunami
131 posts
18 Jul 2022 12:12PM
Thumbs Up

4m and 5.5m. Agreed, best wing on the market. Im just wondering about tuning it.

RegistedName
10 posts
11 Sep 2022 10:44PM
Thumbs Up

Strut burst today. 5.5m. Pumped to just over 7psi. Conditions 15 kts, flat water marine lake. On third run coming out of jibe,as I grabbed back handle to sheet in to get going heard loud bang. Not doing anything abnormal and slow given jibe. Luckily I was in lake and not sea. Be careful if you're off shore. Will see what dealer says, but not looking hopeful after reading posts. Given this burst so easily, defo selling 4.5m unit. Shame as fantastic wings.

kitesupwingfoil
33 posts
12 Sep 2022 4:21AM
Thumbs Up

any idea when will they release the 2023 model?

Sputnik11
VIC, 972 posts
5 Jan 2023 8:20PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SilverFoilSurfer said..

Jaybin said..
Similar problems... Duotone Unit 2022 topic standupzone May 3
www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,37895.30.html

"Welp. The new Unit has a definite design flaw.
My friend was just winging along and the center strut exploded at the front of the rear handle. The fabric tore completely through. Looking at it it's pretty obvious the rigid attachment plate on the handle combined with stitching through the fabric causes a stress point on the weakened fabric.
Wing was nearly new and had never been overinflated."

Interesting, if it's not just me that there is a manufacturing/design issue.

omg said..

If I understood Artem's text correctly the leash didn't have anything to do with this? The wing was right way up, front against the waves/where the white water comes, and Artem was paddling with the wing's center strut between his feet, which would keep the wing at the surface level, or did I not get this right?
Doesn't look good to have this thing ripped, don't know how it can happen, other than there really is a weak spot where the handles attach to the center strut :/

Artem - what size is the wing?

5m, pretty much that was it as described above, nothing abnormal, I've had other wings covered by white water, broken leash, never damaged wing.

I think we'll see more reports of torn struts around the handles connection, it's just the matter of applying enough stress over time (read pumping and being powered on) until it can't take anymore.

Maybe it's time for duotone folks to start issuing warranties on it and fix it in the next release?
My warranty "claim" investigation wasn't even considered by duotone, customer's fault/misuse.
I'm shipping the wing tomorrow for repairs but someone PM'ed me saying that after fixing their similar issue it ripped off on the other handle...

I picked up a brand new 5m 2022 unit today. I was 10 minutes into my first session, the wing hadn't even hit the water. I gybed and grabbed the handles and the middle strut exploded just in front of the back handle. The outer fabric was completely torn the whole way around. Having read this, I'm now worried that I will get into real trouble at some stage where it might be really difficult to get in to the beach. Can share the photos if anyone is interested.

Sputnik11
VIC, 972 posts
5 Jan 2023 8:21PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Sputnik11 said..

SilverFoilSurfer said..

Jaybin said..

My friend was just winging along and the center strut exploded at the front of the rear handle. The fabric tore completely through. Looking at it it's pretty obvious the rigid attachment plate on the handle combined with stitching through the fabric causes a stress point on the weakened fabric.

omg said..

If I understood Artem's text correctly the leash didn't have anything to do with this? The wing was right way up, front against the waves/where the white water comes, and Artem was paddling with the wing's center strut between his feet, which would keep the wing at the surface level, or did I not get this right?
Doesn't look good to have this thing ripped, don't know how it can happen, other than there really is a weak spot where the handles attach to the center strut :/

5m, pretty much that was it as described above, nothing abnormal, I've had other wings covered by white water, broken leash, never damaged wing.

I think we'll see more reports of torn struts around the handles connection, it's just the matter of applying enough stress over time (read pumping and being powered on) until it can't take anymore.

Maybe it's time for duotone folks to start issuing warranties on it and fix it in the next release?
My warranty "claim" investigation wasn't even considered by duotone, customer's fault/misuse.
I'm shipping the wing tomorrow for repairs but someone PM'ed me saying that after fixing their similar issue it ripped off on the other handle...

I picked up a brand new 5m 2022 unit today. I was 10 minutes into my first session, the wing hadn't even hit the water. I gybed and grabbed the handles and the middle strut exploded just in front of the back handle. The outer fabric was completely torn the whole way around. Having read this, I'm now worried that I will get into real trouble at some stage where it might be really difficult to get in to the beach. Can share the photos if anyone is interested.

To the credit of the store who sold it to me, they were very good in replacing it. My concern is that it happens again and I find myself in a much more difficult situation.

Sputnik11
VIC, 972 posts
5 Jan 2023 8:22PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
RegistedName said..
Strut burst today. 5.5m. Pumped to just over 7psi. Conditions 15 kts, flat water marine lake. On third run coming out of jibe,as I grabbed back handle to sheet in to get going heard loud bang. Not doing anything abnormal and slow given jibe. Luckily I was in lake and not sea. Be careful if you're off shore. Will see what dealer says, but not looking hopeful after reading posts. Given this burst so easily, defo selling 4.5m unit. Shame as fantastic wings.

Exactly the same spot on my 5m happened today. 10 minutes into my first session with it.

Sputnik11
VIC, 972 posts
5 Jan 2023 8:32PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Sputnik11 said..

RegistedName said..

Exactly the same spot on my 5m happened today. 10 minutes into my first session with it.

Sputnik11
VIC, 972 posts
6 Jan 2023 12:46PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SilverFoilSurfer said..

Jaybin said..

omg said..

This is not good enough. Duotone must know this is a design fault. Blaming the user is plain wrong. Someone might find themselves in a very dangerous position one day thanks to this. I've tried contacting Duotone, but heard nothing back as yet. You can see the photos of mine at the end of this thread. Same spot, handle on the middle strut. First use, 10 minutes in, coming out of a gybe. The wing hadn't even hit the water.

Sputnik11
VIC, 972 posts
6 Jan 2023 12:53PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
TAA said..

ArtemN said..

TAA said..

Next time I see you at the beach somewhere - please do tell me about all the claims I've made (that I have no idea of ), in the mean time it's time to relax and move on...

I had moved on until you dragged me up on a forum page.
Not cool ....

Usually the customer would go back into the shop of purchase and talk on what the outcome would be instead of playing the victim on a forum page..

This page is talking about a handful of damaged Duotone units to how many thousands units sold worldwide.
And yes it does sounds like some are definitely warranty claims.
All brands have a great warranty policy but to slag them on social media isn't that wise.

No need to talk at the beach.
I'll just say the stitching on one brand and leave it at that.

Its clearly a design fault, and it might put someone is real risk at some point. Blaming the user is not fair. I've read through this thread and others, and they are all the same, middle strut, near the handle, inexplicably explodes. This isn't user error and Duotone need to take responsibility for this. Better to admit the problem and recall the defective wings than have someone drown.

Jaime
NSW, 90 posts
6 Jan 2023 2:07PM
Thumbs Up

Agree with the above.
I purchased a quiver, 5.5,4.5 and 3.5 a few months ago
Am 70kg, mainly on a 39ltre board in ocean location and occasionally doing downwinders, and am now very concerned for my safety if on a dw.
My 3.5 failed a week before Xmas (used <6 times) I'm still waiting for a response from duotone.
It's the 5th duotone unit I've heard of failing from friends where I wing.

I am considering buying one of the mini centre boom handles by 'psproule' for each wing as it should eliminate the weak point at the handle. Does Duotone read any of these forums?

patronus
336 posts
6 Jan 2023 5:24PM
Thumbs Up

There's a Youtube video of a repair guy saying worst two wings, and one is 2022 Unit ripping by handle. He says reinforcement needed, and the 2023 has it. In UK law says anything sold must be fit for purpose.

omg
276 posts
6 Jan 2023 11:32PM
Thumbs Up

what is the reason for breakage; is it the white elliptical plastic sheet under the handle attachment points or is the stitching weakening the canvas fabric and then when pumping or under other pressure the fabric gives up and rips?

Velocicraptor
528 posts
7 Jan 2023 12:20AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
omg said..
what is the reason for breakage; is it the white elliptical plastic sheet under the handle attachment points or is the stitching weakening the canvas fabric and then when pumping or under other pressure the fabric gives up and rips?

My understanding is that its the stitching, which runs parallel to the load. The 2023 design addresses this - which is essentially an admission of the design flaw.

Its really an excellent wing, but there have been so many issues with Duotone QC and design that I personally wouldn't touch it. Its not just this flaw - historical QC issues with kites, the valves, lack of a leash, etc. are all indicative of Duotone's lack of attention. If Cabrinha, Slingshot, or others had this design, it would be hard to beat.

Sputnik11
VIC, 972 posts
7 Jan 2023 7:36AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Velocicraptor said..

omg said..

My understanding is that its the stitching, which runs parallel to the load. The 2023 design addresses this - which is essentially an admission of the design flaw.

Its really an excellent wing, but there have been so many issues with Duotone QC and design that I personally wouldn't touch it. Its not just this flaw - historical QC issues with kites, the valves, lack of a leash, etc. are all indicative of Duotone's lack of attention. If Cabrinha, Slingshot, or others had this design, it would be hard to beat.

I agree, I loved how it felt, for the 10 minutes before it exploded. Duotone are completely ignoring any message I send them. I this is the sort of disdain they have for their customers, letting them go out with a defective wing, knowing full well this could put them in real danger, I think you know everything you need to know about Duotone as a company.

leepasty
328 posts
7 Jan 2023 4:53AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Sputnik11 said..

Velocicraptor said..

omg said..

I agree, I loved how it felt, for the 10 minutes before it exploded. Duotone are completely ignoring any message I send them. I this is the sort of disdain they have for their customers, letting them go out with a defective wing, knowing full well this could put them in real danger, I think you know everything you need to know about Duotone as a company.

Duotone don't deal with customers direct you need to go to the retailer you purchased it from and they will file the warranty claim for you. As far as I know Duotone will and have honoured these issues under warranty but you have to go through the shop you purchased it from !

you are the shops customer and the shop is Duotones customer. Think of it like this-
If you have a faulty Samsung fridge you don't contact Samsung in Korea you go back to the shop you bought it from, and they deal with Samsung in your country who dealwith Samsung hq Korea. Same goes for Duotone and is standard for all big brands

Sputnik11
VIC, 972 posts
7 Jan 2023 9:15AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
leepasty said..

Sputnik11 said..

Velocicraptor said..

omg said..

Duotone don't deal with customers direct you need to go to the retailer you purchased it from and they will file the warranty claim for you. As far as I know Duotone will and have honoured these issues under warranty but you have to go through the shop you purchased it from !

you are the shops customer and the shop is Duotones customer. Think of it like this-
If you have a faulty Samsung fridge you don't contact Samsung in Korea you go back to the shop you bought it from, and they deal with Samsung in your country who dealwith Samsung hq Korea. Same goes for Duotone and is standard for all big brands

I went back to the shop (where I've shopped for decades) and they replaced it immediately, they were awesome to deal with. My issue is Duotone will know this is an issue. As someone else pointed out, they've reinforced the middle strut in the 2023 model, in other words, they know there is a design fault in the 2022.

Let me give you another analogy. Big Brand car maker realises there's a problem with their brakes in a particular model. They don't want a driver to die, so they do a recall and fix the brakes on all cars. It's not the dealer who initiates the recall, its the car maker. That's a much better analogy for this situation. Duotone know there's an issue with the 2022 Units, this could prove extremely dangerous for someone out winging, They need to own it.

I have a replacement, but to be honest, I am now just wondering where this one will blow out. How far out should I go? Should I stay close to shore? Should I pump it?

Subscribe

Forums > Wing Foiling General

"2022 Duotone Unit Review" started by Icebergmansion