Forums > Wing Foiling General

Naish 914 HA foil, any reviews?

Created by Hutch1 2 months ago, 10 Aug 2021
Hutch1
VIC, 2 posts
10 Aug 2021 6:07AM
Thumbs Up

Has anyone had the chance to use the Naish HA 914 foil, what's the handling like and what sort of wind speed would I need to get her on the go?

LeeD
3200 posts
10 Aug 2021 10:39AM
Thumbs Up

Windgenuity did a short review.
Thin, fast, not the best for 7-12 knot breeze.
But 914 is double the size of what slalom foilers use.
Your weight, skill, and wind conditions are big factors.
I'm 72 kg., use my kite 600 wing more often than my 1150. Just need gusts over 15 and a 5 meter sail.

Hutch1
VIC, 2 posts
10 Aug 2021 3:56PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
LeeD said..
Windgenuity did a short review.
Thin, fast, not the best for 7-12 knot breeze.
But 914 is double the size of what slalom foilers use.
Your weight, skill, and wind conditions are big factors.
I'm 72 kg., use my kite 600 wing more often than my 1150. Just need gusts over 15 and a 5 meter sail.

Thanks dude, looking to run it alongside my 1240 HA when it's pretty windy.

LeeD
3200 posts
11 Aug 2021 3:05AM
Thumbs Up

Not a huge diff, but a good start to a multi foil quiver.
Slalom racers are running around 450 sq cm for 6 meter sails and wind from 10-20.

airsail
QLD, 774 posts
11 Aug 2021 7:10AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
LeeD said..
Not a huge diff, but a good start to a multi foil quiver.
Slalom racers are running around 450 sq cm for 6 meter sails and wind from 10-20.

LeeD, this is a question regarding wingfoiling not windfoiling. Different sports and different requirements.

The windfoil section if further up the page.

LeeD
3200 posts
18 Aug 2021 12:48AM
Thumbs Up

Not much difference between the 2.
Decent wingers here, from Johnny Heiniken down to guys who cape and foil duck tack, all use around 1000 with big stabs, short fuze.
Most have tried the highest aspect foils, and stepped back a bit to slightly lower aspect and between 850-1100 depending on weight and typical windspeeds. Seems stab size around 370, which is bigger than windfoil, but fuze around 55....half the size.
Same with boards...a slight step bigger with around 75 liters as standard and a bit wider than what was ridden in early spring.

LeeD
3200 posts
18 Aug 2021 12:54AM
Thumbs Up

Don't be so elite.
We're all riding the foil, whether with or without the 25 lbs load up front.
Speeds are similar. Angles are similar.
914 should be easy for sub 75 kg. skilled riders.
Talking windspeeds 10-22.

airsail
QLD, 774 posts
18 Aug 2021 5:44AM
Thumbs Up

HA914's are due into Oz around 9th Sept.

DavidJohn
VIC, 16831 posts
20 Aug 2021 7:35PM
Thumbs Up

I've had one for a while and not got around to trying it but today I thought.. Do it..

I'm used to big foils being 100kgs and was worried about the wind today being so gusty.. 10-30 knots

It was awesome.. Sooo smooth and very fast.. It did take more effort to get going and did drop quickly in the wind holes that I know my big foils would just cruise through..

I'm looking to using it more in steady winds.

LeeD
3200 posts
20 Aug 2021 11:20PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks.
Which stabilizer and fuze did you use?
Did you have to move the whole foil forward?
What foil were you previously using.

DavidJohn
VIC, 16831 posts
21 Aug 2021 6:29AM
Thumbs Up

I used the standard size (64cm) fuselage and although the 914 foil is usually paired with the smaller 280 stabiliser I left the bigger 310 on for added stability.. I left the mast in my usual position about 2cm back from the front of the boxes.. Once up and comfortably foiling my feet felt right in my normal footstrap position.

I usually use the big 2140 front foil and with this being less that half its size it took some getting used to.. It needed more speed before lift off.. It would often suddenly lift and then suddenly plummet back down and did this a few times before things settled down.. I'm thinking that was more a technique thing and it wasn't liking my heavy back foot pressure to achieve lift off and then my heavy front foot pressure to level off.

I do have the longer windsurf fuselage and I'm keen to try that one day with the mast more towards the rear of the boxes and see how that works.

LeeD
3200 posts
21 Aug 2021 4:37AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks.
I also have 310 fuze, and it works great with my 1150 and also with 600.
Haven't come to terms with the 210 stab yet, but it's always too windy for me to foil so far this season.
Thought of the 280 stab, but it's very close in size to the 310.
Wing, I use 64 fuze.
Windfoil, 79 fuze.

Shlogger
173 posts
21 Aug 2021 5:27AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DavidJohn said..
I used the standard size (64cm) fuselage and although the 914 foil is usually paired with the smaller 280 stabiliser I left the bigger 310 on for added stability.. I left the mast in my usual position about 2cm back from the front of the boxes.. Once up and comfortably foiling my feet felt right in my normal footstrap position.

I usually use the big 2140 front foil and with this being less that half its size it took some getting used to.. It needed more speed before lift off.. It would often suddenly lift and then suddenly plummet back down and did this a few times before things settled down.. I'm thinking that was more a technique thing and it wasn't liking my heavy back foot pressure to achieve lift off and then my heavy front foot pressure to level off.

I do have the longer windsurf fuselage and I'm keen to try that one day with the mast more towards the rear of the boxes and see how that works.

I love the windsurf fuselage for downwinders, it pumps great but w a quicker and shorter style pump. Also I like to use it when leaning new moves.

airsail
QLD, 774 posts
25 Sep 2021 5:38AM
Thumbs Up

Picked up the HA914 yesterday, not enough wind for winging so used it kitefoiling. Great for swell riding, fast through turns and a very low stall speed. I could fly in as little as 7-8 knots board speed and very controllable. Hopefully get to wing it today.

airsail
QLD, 774 posts
25 Sep 2021 6:57PM
Thumbs Up

Got out on the HA914 winging today. Set it up on the 80cm fuselage and the 220 rear stab. I'm 80 kg, prob 83kg with wetsuit. It was fitted to the Naish Hover 95 ltr on the 85cm composite mast. I fitted the mast in the same position as the 1240 on the 64cm fuselage, my front foot ended up about 2" further forward.

Conditions were a bit lumpy, about 12 knots gusting to 16 knots on the bay. I was flying the Slick 5.5 mtr wing.

Takeoff speed is noticeably higher than the HA1240 I normally ride, bit like riding a kite race foil, you really need some board speed prior to lift off otherwise it will stall. This would make it particularly suitable for a straight tailed slippery board, getting it flying quicker. Just a couple of extra knots to get the hover going so all good.

Once up the speed increases fast, I had heaps of power in the wing and it was a lot of fun cranking up wing with ease. It's very stable and quiet, foot switches were a breeze, probably due to the longer fuselage. You could misplace you foot during the switch with little chance of going in.

My top speed in the lumpy conditions was only 17 knots, but there was little pressure on the legs so plenty more available in flatter conditions. It's very stable at speed with really nice flowing gybes.

One thing I found was due to the light wind, you often ended up with no wind going through the gybe as this foil is fast, just needed a slightly different way of flipping the wing so it didn't end up in the water.
Pumping wasn't the best but I wasn't using the 280 stab recommended which would improve the pump ability.

Fitted to a faster planing board this would be a brilliant light wind option. Plenty of speed gives a lot of apparent wind and I was easily crank up wind when others were plodding. It's also nice that it works well for kitefoil, gives you more options. Next is to try it in higher wind.

LeeD
3200 posts
26 Sep 2021 12:33AM
Thumbs Up

Everything said above applies when I switch from 1150-310 to 600-210 on windfoil.
Except COE is farther back on 600 foil, so the whole unit needs to be moved forwards 4 cm.

airsail
QLD, 774 posts
26 Sep 2021 3:30PM
Thumbs Up

Bit stronger today, out on the 4 mtr Unit, 13-14 knots. Needed a gust to get enough board speed to fly but once up no problem, heaps of speed. Topped at 19.8 knots, but this generally ended in a breach due to the 85 cm mast and the lumps I was driving through, 95 cm would be better.

This is a great setup for blasting around on flat water, holds a huge amount of speed through the gybe. Even in the lulls it just kept gliding to the next puff, due to the very low drag.

If you get a chance, definitely give this setup a try.

LouD
WA, 626 posts
Saturday , 9 Oct 2021 10:46AM
Thumbs Up

Only tried mine once so far
. Gets up surprisingly easily for such a small foil (I'm 95kg)and is seriously quick. One thing I noticed though, it is surprisingly heavy. I'm sure it weighs more than my 1800 HA.
Is this part of the design ? Maybe for stability?

DavidJohn
VIC, 16831 posts
Saturday , 9 Oct 2021 5:10PM
Thumbs Up

Yes it feels like solid carbon.. I'm thinking because it's so long, narrow and thin it needs lots of carbon and less foam core to give it the strength that it needs.

airsail
QLD, 774 posts
Saturday , 9 Oct 2021 5:28PM
Thumbs Up

Really enjoying the HA914, fitted to a kitefoil pocket board today, such a versatile wing. Found some flat water and pushed it to 22.4 knots (40kph) on a reach, nice and stable, quiet too. I'm sure it has more in it but had to slow due to getting to rough water.

MoBay
1 posts
Tuesday , 12 Oct 2021 9:23PM
Thumbs Up

I just got the 914 HA and have to say it's a fantastic foil. Naish totally nailed it. I also have the 1800 HA and 1240 HA. I'd guess the 914 is 15%-20% faster than the 1240 HA. The best part is the superb control at speed. It's also amazing at carving on big wind swell too. The stall speed is great and probably similar to the 1240. The only drawback is you need a little more technique to get going. On my first few times out I would come up on the foil only to quickly crash back down. I then concentrated on making sure I had 1-2 knots more of board speed before launching and was a little more careful out coming up than with the 1240. Once you figure it out it's no big deal and quickly becomes second nature.

I'm 70kg and was on a 75 L board, 280 stab, 85cm mast, and 4.0 wing. Winds were 15-20 knots and the water was choppy but with some good wind swell to ride.

PS - before this my favorite wing for carving on swell was the F-One Phantom 940. An outstanding foil. I now think the Naish is way better.

Subscribe

Forums > Wing Foiling General

"Naish 914 HA foil, any reviews?" started by Hutch1