Forums > Kitesurfing Queensland

Kiting 1770 / Agnes

Created by jesst > 9 months ago, 7 Apr 2022
jesst
1 posts
7 Apr 2022 2:28PM
Thumbs Up

Has anyone kite-boarded 1770 recently? What are the best wind and tide conditions? Launch spot? Thank you.

Gilly3
QLD, 794 posts
10 Apr 2022 9:14AM
Thumbs Up

Hi jesst,
My experience is from 2yrs ago....
Went to 1770 and Agnes to kite and ended up down the road at Deepwater National Park. From what I saw at 1770, u would need to set up on the river side near the van park and may only work in a northerly....the beach at Agnes was too busy with swimmers but doable in a SE or NE wind.

If u have a forby or can hire one, I would highly recommend the spots below....u can camp right where u kite basically

Wreck Rock and Middle Rock

Further down the road is Rules Beach and Baffle Creek which are a lot quieter than Agnes or 1770.

U prolly only need to worry about tide if u are kiting river mouths....

Cheers and good winds!!

listery
QLD, 103 posts
10 Apr 2022 1:45PM
Thumbs Up

Agnes

AquaPlow
QLD, 1051 posts
11 Apr 2022 1:35PM
Thumbs Up

Some years back now but it is essentially a wind direction/strength issue - Bustard Bay/Head is a biggish headland w. cliffs = wind block . E/SEly was around the Surf club in the waves (directional). In N'ly took kayak out to sand bar to get the wind in river mouth (TT) - bonus no space issues. The sand bar did not submerge completely at the time but likely not peak tide period during month (no recollection). We did not try to launch from 1770 land - but recall a kite did come from there once the wind picked up more. Did not foil at the time but the river mouth had a navigable channel.
Def' agree with the beach launch potential further North Gilly3 mentioned above. No wind when we went exploring.
Nice place to be. Want to go back too!!
Cheers
AP

NorthernKitesAUS
QLD, 1061 posts
26 Apr 2022 12:20PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AquaPlow said..
Nice place to be. Want to go back too!!
Cheers
AP

I've never been, but it looks amazing and very little known area. Has the 1770 kite shop come back from being sold a year or so ago now?

AquaPlow
QLD, 1051 posts
30 Apr 2022 11:22PM
Thumbs Up

Kite shop?? Was a house based setup in Agnes..guy was offering lessons more than shop but had some spares.. Probably moved.. Suggest plan to be self sufficient..
I was at Lady Musgrave xmas time. Offshore coral atoll small island... Not enough wind.. But be awesome to foil the atoll perimeter. Or run the peeling surf in higher winds. Applies to ding windsurf or kite.. (I drift launched off boat..)..
Hervey Bay offers fair amount too..
Pelican bank at easter...
Cheers
AP

johnnyg204
1 posts
17 Feb 2023 6:45PM
Thumbs Up

Hey guys,

Wife and I are visiting friends in Agnes (from Canada with the kite gear), looking like a lot of SE over the next week- wife doesn't love waves and wondering if Baffle creek is the best bet for flat water? Just doing some reading on the forums and satellite photos. Should be able to borrow our friends' 4wd rig. Will bring some social beers in case we bump into any of you all!

NorthernKitesAUS
QLD, 1061 posts
6 Mar 2023 6:18PM
Thumbs Up

Give us a kite / surf report when you do it. Looks like a sweet spot(s) all round. Have fun!

cbrad
QLD, 1 posts
23 Apr 2023 8:43AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AquaPlow said..
Kite shop?? Was a house based setup in Agnes..guy was offering lessons more than shop but had some spares.. Probably moved.. Suggest plan to be self sufficient..
I was at Lady Musgrave xmas time. Offshore coral atoll small island... Not enough wind.. But be awesome to foil the atoll perimeter. Or run the peeling surf in higher winds. Applies to ding windsurf or kite.. (I drift launched off boat..)..
Hervey Bay offers fair amount too..
Pelican bank at easter...
Cheers
AP

Yes, Urangan at Hervey Bay was good in the northerly on Good Friday.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Queensland

"Kiting 1770 / Agnes" started by jesst